ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
You have to run smoke tests in your "production" environment. No other way you can ensure it works in production environment.

But, they should be informing about the test and what to expect.
I kind of expect that all of us who signed up for the EV Project have agreed to be test subjects. I wouldn't be surprised if the utility was testing sending messages, nor even if the utility was testing smart grid control functions. But I agree they ought to inform customers about tests which might affect them, even if the test isn't likely to do so.

walterbays said:
But I agree they ought to inform customers about tests which might affect them, even if the test isn't likely to do so.
They definitely should be informing people if they are going to be performing testing on their units. I hope everyone who experiences this contacts the EV Project about this.

walterbays said:
evnow said:
You have to run smoke tests in your "production" environment. No other way you can ensure it works in production environment.

But, they should be informing about the test and what to expect.
I kind of expect that all of us who signed up for the EV Project have agreed to be test subjects. I wouldn't be surprised if the utility was testing sending messages, nor even if the utility was testing smart grid control functions. But I agree they ought to inform customers about tests which might affect them, even if the test isn't likely to do so.

From talking to SDG&E (our local utility), they will never have control of the EVSE nor do they want it. This is definately an Ecotality/EVP thing.

As far as the test subjects line. I agreed to let EVP/Ecotality monitor my usage and time of usage. I didn't agree to poorly written, poorly engineered equipment. I should ALWAYS be able to charge my leaf, in addition I should be able to rely on the EVSE to charge overnight. I can see myself being caught in a really bad bind if the EVSE crashes during the nightly charging.

Have they resolved the timer issue yet?

syntaxerror said:
I didn't agree to poorly written, poorly engineered equipment. I should ALWAYS be able to charge my leaf, in addition I should be able to rely on the EVSE to charge overnight. I can see myself being caught in a really bad bind if the EVSE crashes during the nightly charging.
Have you called and logged issues ? They have been good at following up.

Here's my first impressions of the Blink after messing with it for a couple of hours.

WiFi Networking
If you have a typical WiFi setup, the Blink works fine. It can find your network and, as I mentioned before, was able to handle WPA2. I don't broadcast my SSID, so I needed to select "Manually connect to WiFi" and type in my network name. That worked fine. What I couldn't get to work was static addressing. DHCP on the Blink worked fine. I have a block of IP addresses I use for fixed devices like the Wii, media server, print server, etc. The Blink would be a fixed device and so I wanted to do static addressing. I use DHCP for transient devices like our notebooks, handhelds, etc. But I couldn't get the Blink to sync with the DNS server in a static configuration even though it did in DHCP just fine. I doesn't show you it's network configuration details, so I can't find where the issue is. I might mess with it later and see if I can figure it out.

Cord
The Blink cord is certainly more flexible than the Clipper Creek. I like the 45 degree angle of the connector versus the Clipper Creek nearly 90 degree pistol grip.

Billing rates
I decided to set up my billing rates on the Blink. This process was not fun. You need to enter your rate, time, and time of the year the rate is in effect. So with ToU, I have three rates - on peak, off peak, and super off peak. This actually required 16 entries on the Blink. Because off peak occurs over two time periods during the day, the Blink treats that as a separate rate. So you enter all four for the weekday then the Blink requires you enter all four again exactly the same for weekend. (That is just crazy!) So that's eight entries for winter and then you need to do the exact same eight entries for summer. That's why it took 16 entries. The entries are not easy. I's all up, down, back , and forth arrows to set it all up. It's basically user hustle. I wonder if it will loose all of this information if I ever need to turn the power off?

ENIAC said:
I decided to set up my billing rates on the Blink. This process was not fun. You need to enter your rate, time, and time of the year the rate is in effect. So with ToU, I have three rates - on peak, off peak, and super off peak. This actually required 16 entries on the Blink. Because off peak occurs over two time periods during the day, the Blink treats that as a separate rate. So you enter all four for the weekday then the Blink requires you enter all four again exactly the same for weekend. (That is just crazy!) So that's eight entries for winter and then you need to do the exact same eight entries for summer. That's why it took 16 entries. The entries are not easy.
Weekend? Here in Portland we have separate TOU rates for Saturday and Sunday... :(

syntaxerror said:
As far as the test subjects line. I agreed to let EVP/Ecotality monitor my usage and time of usage. I didn't agree to poorly written, poorly engineered equipment. I should ALWAYS be able to charge my leaf, in addition I should be able to rely on the EVSE to charge overnight. I can see myself being caught in a really bad bind if the EVSE crashes during the nightly charging.

Have they resolved the timer issue yet?
Which timer issue? If you're referring to the one that shows the Blink as "Charging" when in fact it's just connected to the car; no. But I've been in touch with them about it.

I agree your sentiments about the crashing overnight; They've got to get on that bug. It's happened too many times for me to be comfortable with counting on it to work in the middle of the night. When I must have a full charge the next day, I just manually charge it when I get home rather than wait for off-peak times. Kinda defeats the purpose of all that timer junk tho'.

ENIAC said:
But I couldn't get the Blink to sync with the DNS server in a static configuration even though it did in DHCP just fine. I doesn't show you it's network configuration details, so I can't find where the issue is. I might mess with it later and see if I can figure it out.
You can see the device error log ...

Cord
The Blink cord is certainly more flexible than the Clipper Creek. I like the 45 degree angle of the connector versus the Clipper Creek nearly 90 degree pistol grip.
Ecotality was teslling me they changed the cord to make it more flexible. I find it easier to manipulate than I had anticipated ...

I wonder if it will loose all of this information if I ever need to turn the power off?
I don't think so - atleast my one rate setup has been holding.

sparky said:
I agree your sentiments about the crashing overnight; They've got to get on that bug. It's happened too many times for me to be comfortable with counting on it to work in the middle of the night. When I must have a full charge the next day, I just manually charge it when I get home rather than wait for off-peak times. Kinda defeats the purpose of all that timer junk tho'.
Interestingly the Blink hasn't crashed on me at night.

Have you tried just using the Blink timer ?

ENIAC said:
Billing rates
I decided to set up my billing rates on the Blink. This process was not fun. You need to enter your rate, time, and time of the year the rate is in effect. So with ToU, I have three rates - on peak, off peak, and super off peak. This actually required 16 entries on the Blink. Because off peak occurs over two time periods during the day, the Blink treats that as a separate rate. So you enter all four for the weekday then the Blink requires you enter all four again exactly the same for weekend. (That is just crazy!) So that's eight entries for winter and then you need to do the exact same eight entries for summer. That's why it took 16 entries. The entries are not easy. I's all up, down, back , and forth arrows to set it all up. It's basically user hustle. I wonder if it will loose all of this information if I ever need to turn the power off?
Uh, this is 2011, right?

The Blink should have a little web server built in to send a form (pre-configured with your Local Utility's TOU and EV rates) to your computer's Web Browser that you modify only if needed.

Thousands of us (using a slow touch screen, in the garage) to enter exactly the same set of data into our Blink's? Really?

Sorry, but that's just sad.

rclams said:
ENIAC said:
Billing rates
Uh, this is 2011, right?

The Blink should have a little web server built in to send a form (pre-configured with your Local Utility's TOU and EV rates) to your computer's Web Browser that you modify only if needed.

Thousands of us (using a slow touch screen, in the garage) to enter exactly the same set of data into our Blink's? Really?

Sorry, but that's just sad.

You can set it up via the web browser interface... easier to run a mouse but it will be the same interface as the touchscreen version.

Our Blink is in. As noted in other followups it works fine with WPA2 etc. - the only glitch we had was due to a default firewall setting (not something I ever explicitly set) in our Belkin router that decided the Blink activity was a DoS attack, so it suppressed it, but that was not initially obvious. The device was able to acquire an IP address but got stuck from there.

The Ecotality/Blink tech who our installer connected with on the phone to troubleshoot was both skilled and tenacious. It helped that I had my macbook handy, he used gotoassist via Firefox to take over the computer remotely and then drilled in to the Belkin control interface and figured out and corrected the problem.

Later tonight we'll charge for the first time.

garygid said:
Any idea what Blink-Query rate would have been slow enough so that your Belkin router would NOT have declared a DOS attack?

Nope - it's not real clear (or rather I haven't looked into) what the parameters of this particular generic firewall setting are - it's just an enable/disable button, distinct from the various detailed firewall settings you can actually configure.

I am just about to order a EVSE, and am still on the fence about AV vs Blink.

I spoke to the Dallas Ecotality office today, and was told that the current $1195 pricing for those of us purchasing the charging station will change on on 3/15. It sounded like the new price will be $1495.

He offered me 2 versions....a) hardwired by an electrician , or b) with a 220v plug to fit a 220v socket.

I haven't seen any discussion here about which type people are getting. I would think that the plug type would be better, since I could dismount the unit myself if I moved. Also the actual install of a socket by my electrician would actually be less than the hardwire installation. I can do the EVSE surface mounting myself, I'm just not qualified to do electrical work.

I'm tempted to go with a Blink , with a 220v plug, and get the 220v socket installed (estimate $150).

Comments ???

If you never move it, the plug is quite good.
If you move it a few times, the plug is very useful.
If you move it frequently, the plug is fantastic, just be careful.

If you are having a 240v socket installed, consider adding
a 240v On/Off switch right nearby.

ts31825 said:
At about 5:00 this morning my Blink unit shut down...the message on the screen indicated that the unit had been turned off by the utility. Sorry I can't remember the exact message nor did I have time to take a picture.

Has anyone else out there had their Blink unit shut down. I don't remember agreeing to allowing my utility to curtail the use of the EVSE, although I am sure it is in the fine print somewhere...I do plan to call ECOtality today to inquire as to what happened.

comfort level...

Glen

If your router supports MAC filtering and time of use control you could set the router to not allow the Blink to communicate with the mother ship during the super off peak hours.

AmarilloLeaf said:
I spoke to the Dallas Ecotality office today, and was told that the current $1195 pricing for those of us purchasing the charging station will change on on 3/15. It sounded like the new price will be $1495.
Wow, the price is going up already? Man I can't wait for more EVSE to get on the market.

I would also get the plug version without question. That way if the unit ever needed to be sent in for service or exchanged for the same model or a different EVSE altogether you can just unplug it and plug in the new one.

The Ecotality people emailed me the installation manual in Acrobat format. If there is a place to post it here, I can upload it.

There a 30 amp and a 48 amp version. Each can be hard wired or connected to a 50 amp 6-50R receptacle.

The WE-30C is hard wired, the WE-30K has a 1 foot long cord to plug into the 6-50R.

The 30amp version can run at 12A, 16A, 24A, or 30A. The 48 amp version adds 48 amp capability.

They tell me that they have them in stock and can ship within a week.... I just ordered a WE-30K to get in before the price increase....

Mine went in today and it has the plug (which I prefer). The hardwired version apparently is only used outdoors.

AmarilloLeaf said:
I haven't seen any discussion here about which type people are getting. I would think that the plug type would be better, since I could dismount the unit myself if I moved. Also the actual install of a socket by my electrician would actually be less than the hardwire installation. I can do the EVSE surface mounting myself, I'm just not qualified to do electrical work.

Back