ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Blink charger alot more than the AV charger. I did not even get my AV quote for over 5 weeks! Then I only got it because I called AV to ask for it... and then it was for $3500!! Only driving an average of 28 miles a day should make us OK on wall current and public charge stations until these home units are all worked out. Make it as competitive as possible and the installation prices will come down.

garygid said:
Blink $1199
AV $725

To me, the Blink looks like it is $474 higher basic cost, but it does a lot more "connecting".

The Blink still need to be hard-wired, right?

AV $2,300
I have still not reached anyone at AV who will sell a unit outside of the Nissan process.

garygid said:
If the city's Permit Fee is really $300 (as reported in one AV bid), you will not get much for $400.

I am waiting for a "portable" L2 EVSE so that I can plug it in at work, ... or at a friend's house, or an EV park.

Ideal would be a dual voltage 240 and 120-volt (L2 & L1) EVSE, so that one did not need to carry two EVSEs.

With a "universal" power supply inside, avoiding the use of 240v-operated parts, and a 120v socket adapter cord, a simple 240v (L2) EVSE would be likely to work at 120 volts (as a L1 EVSE), even though rated for "more severe" service (higher voltages and currents).

The permit fee will not be 30% of the unit cost.

The city's "Building" permit fee, usually including checking and approving the plans before work starts, and an inspection after it is (almost) done, can be any amount the city/county "wants" to charge.

So, installing $30 of wire and plugs could "require" a $50 to $300 permit fee.

DeaneG said:
First attractive-looking level 2 charger so far.

OMG! Attractive? This two piece, relic of the 1980s is so uncool it reminds my of an early video cameras where you had to carry the recorder in a separate shoulder bag--so embarrassing. I seriously considered not bothering with the eTec freebie and plunking down cash for the nice, neat round white one from Nissan (Aero-whatsit). Of course my dollar sanity prevailed (good job, too, as I get the DC rapid charger free as well--didn't realize this at first) and I'll put up with this ugly thing in my garage through the two year program and then trade for a new aftermarket item. Hopefully that'll coincide with the delivery of my new Plug-in Prius purchase IF they get the damn thing out by then and IF they increase the EV only miles (13 is pathetic) and IF... well, you get the picture. But never shall I buy a GM product ever again, @uc$ers.

Randy said:
I'll say one thing, though. It is BIG! Look at the photo in the pdf on page 2 under "Media" and "Residential Charger" that shows the Blink on the brick wall next to the small car. That thing is huge! We'll need significant wall space for the EVSE and cord coiling dock.....

Holy moley! You're not kidding. I saw the wall-mount Blnk today at the LA Auto Show (LA DWF booth, of all places), and just about fell over. It's huge! Seriously massive in girth and depth.

I mean, yeah, the specs are right there, but until you realize this thing will take up a magnificent amount of wall-space, it doesn't sink in.

The cord is substantial as well.

The "hose reel" appears to be a passive plastic piece, so I might rig some kind of spring-pulley system from the ceiling instead. Like a Japanese gas station.

GroundLoop said:
Randy said:
I'll say one thing, though. It is BIG! Look at the photo in the pdf on page 2 under "Media" and "Residential Charger" that shows the Blink on the brick wall next to the small car. That thing is huge! We'll need significant wall space for the EVSE and cord coiling dock.....

Holy moley! You're not kidding. I saw the wall-mount Blnk today at the LA Auto Show (LA DWF booth, of all places), and just about fell over. It's huge! Seriously massive in girth and depth.

I mean, yeah, the specs are right there, but until you realize this thing will take up a magnificent amount of wall-space, it doesn't sink in.

The cord is substantial as well.

The "hose reel" appears to be a passive plastic piece, so I might rig some kind of spring-pulley system from the ceiling instead. Like a Japanese gas station.

I'm looking for the specs/size of the home Blink unit...just how big IS this thing??

GroundLoop said:
Jimmydreams said:
I'm looking for the specs/size of the home Blink unit...just how big IS this thing??

Wall Mount: 18” W x 22” H x 5-9/16” D

You couldn't fit it in a backpack, or hide it by standing in front of it.

Yikes! Well, here's crossing my fingers that all that size accounts for the unit doing more than supplying power. Hopefully the bells and whistles will make up for the size......(shrug)

With almost $3000 of freebies,($2200 for Blink and $700 Fast charger on LEAF) I'll find the room on my garage wall. I agree it is huge (the same size as the SunPower inverter installed a month ago) but it will fit.

Seriously, as big as a PV inverter? That's big. I chose micro-inverters for my PV system. Twenty-two panels, 22 microinverters. Making almost 20kwh a day in the wintertime and that's my yearly daily average, so I'll be rocking come summertime. Tally ho!
Azrich said:
(the same size as the SunPower inverter installed a month ago) but it will fit.

EVLover said:
Seriously, as big as a PV inverter? That's big. I chose micro-inverters for my PV system. Twenty-two panels, 22 microinverters. Making almost 20kwh a day in the wintertime and that's my yearly daily average, so I'll be rocking come summertime. Tally ho!
Azrich said:
(the same size as the SunPower inverter installed a month ago) but it will fit.

I also chose micros, but mine are built in on the back side of each of the 20/240W Honeywell A/C panels, so the installers won't have to run DC wiring. Output is supposed to average about 24 Kwh/day/8640 Kwh/yr.

I'm not sure this post belongs here, but since I've been selected for an ETEC free home charging dock from Ecotality, I decided to peruse the contract. Among other stipulations, it includes this:

5 Ownership
Title to and ownership of the Equipment will be retained by ETEC through the Term of this Agreement and perpetually if the Agreement is terminated for cause. At the end of the Term, or upon termination of the Agreement without cause, ownership of the Equipment will be transferred to and vest in Participant. Participant acknowledges that upon termination of this Agreement and transfer of Equipment title to Participant, the Equipment will provide basic charging services only and that full functionality of the Equipment will require Participant to enroll in an ETEC EVSE membership network.

So...does this mean that after the contract is complete, I'll have to "enroll in an ETEC EVSE membership network" in order to continue using the charging dock? If so, I wonder if there will be a recurring cost for doing so? Any ideas?

I think it will still work as a charger (what would the point be in letting you keep it if it didn't) but you will not have the ability to access the advanced energy tracking features without the subscription..

A discussion I had with them affirmed that such is the case. They will have some kind of optional plan for those who might want to continue the advanced features.

Tom

turbo2ltr said:
I think it will still work as a charger (what would the point be in letting you keep it if it didn't) but you will not have the ability to access the advanced energy tracking features without the subscription..

I spoke with Adrienne from EcoTality today. She told me that I would be getting a call in the next few days from the contractor to get my EVSE installed.

She says that BLINK is NOT yet UL certified, but should be within the next 30 days. So what they are going to do in San Diego (and probably other cities) for the first wave Leaf owners is:

they will install a NON-BLINK EVSE (she wouldn't specify the brand) for 30 days. After that, BLINK should have it's UL listing and they will come back and replace the non-Blink with the Blink unit. All done free.

No other info from Adrienne. The contractor may have more info...I'll post more if/when I find out.

Jimmydreams said:
I spoke with Adrienne from EcoTality today. She told me that I would be getting a call in the next few days from the contractor to get my EVSE installed.

She says that BLINK is NOT yet UL certified, but should be within the next 30 days. So what they are going to do in San Diego (and probably other cities) for the first wave Leaf owners is:

they will install a NON-BLINK EVSE (she wouldn't specify the brand) for 30 days. After that, BLINK should have it's UL listing and they will come back and replace the non-Blink with the Blink unit. All done free.

No other info from Adrienne. The contractor may have more info...I'll post more if/when I find out.

I just had a similar call as well. I was instead contacted by a gentleman here in Phoenix and asked if I had heard the good news from Nissan yet; that I would be getting one of the very first cars. He said that I will be getting the temporary charger as well and that mine needs to be installed next week.

I guess that means I might one of the December deliveries?

Skywagon said:
I just had a similar call as well. I was instead contacted by a gentleman here in Phoenix and asked if I had heard the good news from Nissan yet; that I would be getting one of the very first cars. He said that I will be getting the temporary charger as well and that mine needs to be installed next week.

I guess that means I might one of the December deliveries?

I was told they had to have mine installed very soon (implied by the end of next week) and yes, apparently you and I are in the December delivery list. :mrgreen:

Back