Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished my trip prep a little early, so one last EA post before I head out. Columbus, OH (I-90 Exit 91/91A, just W. of I-270) is open, #28 for the month and #261 total.

Columbus shortens what was the last remaining too long I-70 leg east of Denver, 141 miles between Huber Heights and Cambridge, to two easy legs of 54 and 89 miles.

Well, plans have changed a bit (I'm not paying $30 just to spend a few hours in Lassen), so I just drove through last night, and have spent much of the day in the town of or up hiking on the flanks of Mt. Shasta, and am now in the town library - I'll climb it tomorrow, and may sleep on top if conditions are good.

So, for the last day of the month, four sites have opened, making 32 for the month and 265 total - I've only identified 3 so far: Fernley, NV (Jct. I-80/Alt. U.S. 50); Westworth Village (S.R 183, N. of I-30 Exits 7A &B); Woodstock, VA (Jct. I-81/S.R. 42).

Fernley is needed to make reaching Winnemucca practical from Norcal and vice versa. Although EA is building sites in both Rocklin and Truckee, Drive the ARC already covers I-80 to Truckee, but it's 197 miles from there to Winnemucca. With Fernley, it's two legs of 69 and 129 miles. Of course, to be useful they also need to build one or two sites between Elko and SLC, because no one who doesn't live or work there is likely to go no farther than Winnemucca, Battle Mountain or Elko. (W.) Wendover is the obvious spot, and maybe one more in between it and SLC, and one in Wells for the people traveling to-from Norcal and the Tetons/Yellowstone (plus one at the other end of U.S. 93 in Twin Falls), as it's an extra 100+ miles if you go via SLC.

It looks like Westworth Village will mainly serve people heading to/from I-20 to I-30, or continuing onto I-35.

Woodstock shortens the 151 mile leg between Fincastle and Stephens City to two legs of 128 and 25 miles.

Had a little time to kill yesterday on my way up, so stopped off and checked out the "Coming soon" site in Willows on I-5. Looks like the standard low volume Hwy site, with three dual-head CCS (1- 350kW, 2-150kW) and one CCS-CHAdeMO, apparently 150 kW and 50 kW respectively, although my angle wasn't good so I can't be sure. Still some concrete to be poured, but all the pedestals are in place and three of them look complete, while the other had a cover open. It's located at the west end of the Walmart building, in the pickup area.

OT: Since I was in the town of Mt. Shasta today, I checked out the Tesla SCs and the one Chargepoint CCS-CHAdeMO (plus a dual-head L2) in the same parking lot. There are four SCs in the Best Western lot, but two of the handles are out of service (already reported to Tesla by others). However, right across the street are another 16 SC stalls, so I wouldn't sweat the two that are down.

The Chargepoint was in the latter lot and appeared to be working, and according to the placard it had a max. output of 48 kW. EA could really use a site here, as even when open Anderson-Yreka will be a bit far, especially with all the parks and lakes in the area that are considerable distances from I-5.

Three sites have opened, making three for the month and 268 total: Sacramento #3 (I-80. exit 88); Staunton, VA (Jct. I-81/U.S. 250, close to Jct. with I-64); Smithfield, NC (Jct. I-95/U.S. 70).

Sacramento is getting sites scattered all around, no doubt so the pols can see that EA is keeping up to snuff ;) The listing appears to be wrong, as it claims there are 4 CCs and no CHAdeMO rather than the 3 CCS - 1 CHAdeMO that's likely. Either that, or the dual standard stall isn't working yet.

Staunton is I believe the last site on I-81, and provides excellent spacing between Fincastle (70 miles) and Woodstock (62 miles), or you can skip Woodstock and go direct to Stephens City (86 miles).

Smithfield divides the 119 mile leg between Rocky Mount and Lumberton into two legs of 45 and 75 miles.

Guy,

It's clear now that the problem is not the utility in terms of getting stations up, it's EA. I've now visited EA sites across Central California from Pismo Beach to Bishop and all are missing their transformers.

Pismo Beach, Bakersfield, Coso Junction, and Bishop are all installed but have no transformers and it has been this way for months in the first two stations and weeks for the last two. The first two are served by PG&E and the last two by SCE.

EA must have either fallen out of the queue or didn't get in soon enough. There is some issue why it's taking so long. EA is abusing the flexibility granted to them by CARB in getting these stations up and running. They have not met the intent of CARB's order though they have met the letter.

Paul

I noticed the Williamsburg Iowa station has had its Chademo down for so long now it’s not longer showing on plugshare. I dropped a line to EA, and will let the board know what I find out. It looked like council Bluffs was also showing offline in the EA app.... while a Leaf was charging on it funny enough.

EA called me today. They don’t have a timeline for fixing the station, but are “working very hard to have it fixed”.

If EA’s stations were as dependable as I have found their customer service line, they could give Tesla a run for their money!

Ok, I have noticed today that 2 or 3 more Chademo locations are down on the EA network. Lafayette and Indianapolis both have plugshare notifications from EA saying they ar having an issue.

Any one have any conspiracy theories?

Forgot to mention that I checked out the "Coming Soon" Anderson QC on I-5 on the way back from Shasta. It's a bit further along than Willows, as all the concrete is done and parking spaces have been marked, and the stallards and power cabinets are all in place, although several of them had their covers off and it appeared wiring work was being done (the crew was on a break when I went by). Unfortunately given Paul's comments above, I didn't notice if the transformer was present (this was all behind a fence with privacy mesh), but as installing and hooking that up is usually the last thing that's done before inspection it probably wasn't.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, I have noticed today that 2 or 3 more Chademo locations are down on the EA network. Lafayette and Indianapolis both have plugshare notifications from EA saying they ar having an issue.

Yep. The chademo plug is located on the station closest to the door to encourage "first use" by CCSers.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Yep. The chademo plug is located on the station closest to the door to encourage "first use" by CCSers.
I don't know about conspiracy, but a sign saying something like "CCS-equipped cars please use this connector last - leave the space open for CHAdeMO-equipped cars" would be helpful.

I stopped at the Lafayette IN EA stop today. I gave it a 1 in a 100 shot the Chademo was back up, but stopped in any case. Chademo was down (and one of the ccs only stations). I called and filed a ticket. EA gave me another free charging session which I will use at a future time. I asked again to send in a comment for EA to put 2 Chademos into locations so we can plan with confidence. Again, EA support line is great! So friendly. EA equipment needs help, or more prevalent repair people.

Indy EA Chademo looks like it’s down too. Good thing the Lead can do 240 highway miles.

EA survey done by an EVer this past weekend. 3 Walmarts visited; 3 Chademo stations ICE'd by gassers. He did get a charge in one location by driving onto the green space behind the chargers and plugging in.

Poway, CA (Urb.?, I-15 Exit 18 or 19) is open, #5 for the month and #270 total.

EA's map shows 3 CCS, 0 CCS-CHAdeMO, 1 L2. Not sure if they're holding back on the CHAdeMO plug while they deal with problems reported at other sites or if the listing's just in error, as the typical urban site is 2 CCS, 1 CCS-CHAdeMO, 1 L2.

EA's map shows 0 CCS-CHAdeMO at a few locations near me. If you tap/click on the location, you get more details, and they show that they have the chargers, they are just out of order.

I don't know if its a parts issue or overspent repair budget issue, but an increasing number of Chademo's have been going offline with EA.

They are super nice to talk to about it on the phone though.

It would be useful if people who report CHAdeMO units OoS would note and tell us the manufacturer, so we can get an idea if this is a hardware problem of one particular company out of the four who supply EA with chargers, or something to do with billing or other software. They four companies are ABB, Signet, Efacec and BTC.

Back