Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain something to me?

I've been checking out the photos people are taking of the stations being built around my area and I don't get it. It appears each parking spot has two chargers - or two plugs anyway. Now I can see doing that when each is a different plug type, so you choose one, but most of the stations have two CCS. who can possibly use two CCS plugs with one parking spot?

See here:

447102.jpg

If each station can only run one plug at a time, what's the point in having two that are the same?

And if they can both run, even if it drops total output, why not put one charge station between two parking spots each (a total of 8 parking spots), to maximize usage potential?

One plug at a time.

Advantages:
Parking flexibility (think ICE'd)
One cable down, the station still works with the other cable.

It is actually pretty clever; I expect others to copy the idea

Ok, if only one plug works per station, that makes more sense, but it also means Chademo folks can get "iced" by a CCS

I know its been discussed, and even myself with a Leaf would prefer CCS, but EA sure seems to look down on Chademo

danrjones said:
Ok, if only one plug works per station, that makes more sense, but it also means Chademo folks can get "iced" by a CCS

I know its been discussed, and even myself with a Leaf would prefer CCS, but EA sure seems to look down on Chademo
Because it competes with the standard European, U.S., Korean and even some Japanese manufacturers have adopted, and as Sagebrush has pointed out, the only reason there's a CHAdeMO at all at EA sites is because it was mandated.

danrjones said:

I've been checking out the photos people are taking of the stations being built around my area and I don't get it. It appears each parking spot has two chargers - or two plugs anyway. Now I can see doing that when each is a different plug type, so you choose one, but most of the stations have two CCS. who can possibly use two CCS plugs with one parking spot?

See here:

447102.jpg

Future proofing. The CCS/Chademo is self explanatory but some of the CCS only stations have different power ratings per side. Eventually, they will all be that way

Ok that makes some sense, though I would have thought CCS would adapt to whatever power level the car could accept, rather than having one side or another at different levels

I do think having two parking spots per station would still be nice for salutations where you are waiting or if someone thoughtlessly parks in one of the EV spots.

GRA said:
danrjones said:

Because it competes with the standard European, U.S., Korean and even some Japanese manufacturers have adopted, and as Sagebrush has pointed out, the only reason there's a CHAdeMO at all at EA sites is because it was mandated.
Just because the bolded part is true in the US doesn't mean it's necessarily true outside the US. Japanese market BMW i3 and VW e-Golf have CHAdeMO inlets and no CCS.

cwerdna said:
GRA said:
danrjones said:

Just because the bolded part is true in the US doesn't mean it's necessarily true outside the US. Japanese market BMW i3 and VW e-Golf have CHAdeMO inlets and no CCS.
Of course, because that's the standard there, in CHAdeMO's home market, just as the standard in the U.S. home market is CCS-1, and in Europe CCS-2, as the CCS connectors differ only in the L1/L2 part and they have similar sizes, swapping receptacles out isn't a big deal.

DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:

See here:

447102.jpg

Future proofing. The CCS/Chademo is self explanatory but some of the CCS only have different power ratings per side. Eventually, they will all be that way
Dave, have you seen any that are set up that way? All the 350kW (dual) connectors I've seen are on their own pedestal, not mixed with 150kW connectors, which are on their own pedestal (or shared with the CHAdeMO).

danrjones said:
EA sure seems to look down on Chademo
If the regulators gave EA a choice they would ignore CHAdeMO completely. That is mostly explained by the money coming from CCS only VW, but there are now DCFC going up in the USA that are CCS only and not tied to any car manufacturer.

World - wide:
Alive and kicking in Japan
Uncertain status in China; it might morph into a new GB/T
Alive in Canada
Dead in Europe
Last gasps in the USA

Not dead at all in the UK.. but maybe that’s not Europe anymore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carsuk.net/bp-starts-the-roll-out-of-150kw-electric-car-charging-points/amp/

Actually there are still new Chademos going up in Europe too, just at a slower rate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/356385/25000-chademo-chargers-globally-9000-europe/amp/

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
If the regulators gave EA a choice they would ignore CHAdeMO completely. That is mostly explained by the money coming from CCS only VW, but there are now DCFC going up in the USA that are CCS only and not tied to any car manufacturer.

World - wide:
Alive in Canada
Dead in Europe
Last gasps in the USA

Interesting

I noticed on chargepoint installs near me about an even mix of CCS and CHAdeMO
So it must be a EA thing as you say.

danrjones said:
Ok that makes some sense, though I would have thought CCS would adapt to whatever power level the car could accept, rather than having one side or another at different levels

I do think having two parking spots per station would still be nice for salutations where you are waiting or if someone thoughtlessly parks in one of the EV spots.

Different voltages. The higher side is (will be) 800 volts.

danrjones said:
SageBrush said:
danrjones said:

World - wide:
Alive in Canada
Dead in Europe
Last gasps in the USA

Interesting

ALL new installs EXCEPT EA are that way. I guess its payback for us having Blink and Webasto which are both Chademo only. I will not mention that most of those stations were installed back when CCS was barely a twinkle in a developer's eye. :lol:

danrjones said:
I didn't say EA only.
Chargepoint is one of the vendors that does install CHAdeMO with CCS, at least at locations with one stall and two cables.

I cannot think of examples of new locations in the USA or Europe with more than one CHAdeMO plug per location.

I guess I would wonder, if you were a leaf owner, would you gamble on an EA station?

If that EA station was the only place you could charge, and in many of the areas out here on 395 it would be right now, would you gamble on showing up to a station with the possibility of that station being used by a CCS customer?

If you are CCS, its not a big deal, there are four to choose from.

Part of me is happy EA is expanding the infrastructure in areas that have none, such as eastern sierra (excluding Superchargers of course) but I don't think I'd feel comfortable taking my leaf.

As full disclosure, I never plan to use it for road trips anyway. I'm just curious if you would gamble / wait as a Chademo user.

Back