EV Charging at Military Bases

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i figure they denied charging stations because that might promote EVs and gas usage would go down and we would stop importing oil from the Middle East and then what would the soldiers do?

the denial is simply insuring job security

DaveinOlyWA said:
i figure they denied charging stations because that might promote EVs and gas usage would go down and we would stop importing oil from the Middle East and then what would the soldiers do?

I wish I could tell you how many times, all over the world, the conversations on the night shift included the desire for all of us to be 'out of work' permanently. Nobody wants world peace more than folks in uniform - guaranteed.

Andy; i know exactly what you are saying. i was in when we were not fighting anyone but even the thought of war creates a level stress that you have to experience to even begin to understand the effect upon one's life.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Unbelievable! I doubt that I've ever read such an utterly foolish and unfounded comment.

ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Unbelievable! I doubt that I've ever read such an utterly foolish and unfounded comment.

it was a joke right?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Andy; i know exactly what you are saying. i was in when we were not fighting anyone but even the thought of war creates a level stress that you have to experience to even begin to understand the effect upon one's life.
I figured you did, Amigo.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

it was a joke right?

That's how I read it.

ebill3 said:
Well, I finally received a response to my letter to the Army and Air Force Exchnge System (Army PX, Air Force BX).

They are studying all alternative fuels, including EV charging stations. One of the problems is that military bases apparently are under a mandate to strictly control electrical usage and charging stations must be factored into the overall base electrical pan. Also, if they sell electricity, it must be sold as a commodity, which will increase the price.

I don't quite understand that last statement, but in any event it looks like charging at a military base will be a long time in coming.
The response included a point of contact, so I thought I would follow up via email.

The response I received:

My apologies for the delayed response. This service potentially involves multiple directorates in our organization so I needed to verify if there were any new developments. At this time there is nothing new to report from the Exchange on this particular subject.(Underlining added)

Translation: We are a huge bureaucracy, moving really slowly, so don't look forward to anything happening in your lifetime. :(

ebill3 said:
ebill3 said:
Well, I finally received a response to my letter to the Army and Air Force Exchnge System (Army PX, Air Force BX).

They are studying all alternative fuels, including EV charging stations. One of the problems is that military bases apparently are under a mandate to strictly control electrical usage and charging stations must be factored into the overall base electrical pan. Also, if they sell electricity, it must be sold as a commodity, which will increase the price.

I don't quite understand that last statement, but in any event it looks like charging at a military base will be a long time in coming.
The response included a point of contact, so I thought I would follow up via email.

The response I received:

My apologies for the delayed response. This service potentially involves multiple directorates in our organization so I needed to verify if there were any new developments. At this time there is nothing new to report from the Exchange on this particular subject.(Underlining added)

Translation: We are a huge bureaucracy, moving really slowly, so don't look forward to anything happening in your lifetime. :(
I don't agree with your translation. The reality is that everything the military does has to be reviewed multiple times. What the response is communicating is the very real fact that installing an EVSE requires coordination with multiple areas. Some of which are public safety, security, building/facility managers, the host base, the Exchange Service (who's buying the EVSE? Who sets the rate per kWh? Where does the money go? Who's responsible when it breaks? etc. etc.). Nothing is taken for granted, everything is in black and white, and chances are a memorandum of agreement must be negotiated and signed between all the 'players' once they're all identified and brought to the table.

Large, yes - but the rules are there for a reason - and usually as the result of a prior problem that's being kept from happening a second time. Hopefully...

AndyH said:
I don't agree with your translation. The reality is that everything the military does has to be reviewed multiple times. What the response is communicating is the very real fact that installing an EVSE requires coordination with multiple areas. Some of which are public safety, security, building/facility managers, the host base, the Exchange Service (who's buying the EVSE? Who sets the rate per kWh? Where does the money go? Who's responsible when it breaks? etc. etc.). Nothing is taken for granted, everything is in black and white, and chances are a memorandum of agreement must be negotiated and signed between all the 'players' once they're all identified and brought to the table.

Large, yes - but the rules are there for a reason - and usually as the result of a prior problem that's being kept from happening a second time. Hopefully...
Oh, I understand all of that, having spent 26 years in the Army, working numerous staff positions, and at one time working closely with AAFES folks at installation level. I'll stick with my translation, as that is what you described: A huge bureaucracy, moving really slowly. ;)

And, unfortunately, sometimes those bureau chiefs become so obsessed with protecting their turf (and their well-paying positions) that they lose sight of the mission, to serve the troops. It has been many years since I coordinated with such agencies, but I have no reason to think things have changed.

Bill

ebill3 said:
AndyH said:

Oh, I understand all of that, having spent 26 years in the Army, working numerous staff positions, and at one time working closely with AAFES folks at installation level. I'll stick with my translation, as that is what you described: A huge bureaucracy, moving really slowly. ;)

And, unfortunately, sometimes those bureau chiefs become so obsessed with protecting their turf (and their well-paying positions) that they lose sight of the mission, to serve the troops. It has been many years since I coordinated with such agencies, but I have no reason to think things have changed.

Bill

In the AF we were able to get things done with meetings and memorandums of understanding. Please don't paint my experience with your slightly too broad brush. ;) Sorry to hear it's so difficult in the USA. I recommend we keep our own interpretations as they describe two different worlds. Do you want to pen the MOA or shall I? :lol:

AndyH said:
In the AF we were able to get things done with meetings and memorandums of understanding. Please don't paint my experience with your slightly too broad brush. ;) Sorry to hear it's so difficult in the USA. I recommend we keep our own interpretations as they describe two different worlds. Do you want to pen the MOA or shall I? :lol:
Well, I can't resist. At the Army Staff College, one of the standing jokes went something like this:

Army staff planning a new base. General, pointing at map: "OK, the artillery range goes here, small arms ranges over there, the tank maneuver area here, motor pool there, obstacle course there, billets here. Any questions?" Meek voice from the rear: "Sir, any clubs or recreation facilities?"

Air Force staff planning a new base. General, pointing at map: "OK, Officer's Club here, NCO Club there, Officer's golf course there, enlisted golf course over there, officer's quarters by the lake, enlisted quarters there, bowling alley here, movie theater there. Guess that's about it, any questions?" Meek voice from the rear: "General, runway and hangers?"

Cheers from my half empty glass that you took away. :p

Bill

I didn't take the glass - I promise! I like mine half-full. :p

I guess there's a reason the AF is sometimes called the "IBM of the Military"... ;)

The comparison I enjoyed was the way different branches secure a building.

The Navy turns out the lights and locks the doors. The Army surrounds the building with defensive fortifications and concertina wire. The Marines assault the building using overlapping fields of fire. The AF takes out a 3-year lease with an option to buy.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

A recent article on this topic:

Stars and Stripes, Navy to Introduce Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at Select US Locations, 1/9/13

The Navy has announced a pilot program that will bring electric vehicle charging stations to Navy Exchanges in Maryland and California over the next two years.

The first store will be NEX Bethesda, Md., at 48 cents per kilowatt hour, a Navy statement said Tuesday. Stations will be added at NEX San Diego and NEX North Island this year and NEX Annapolis, Md., in 2014.

Pricing may differ but will be competitive with stations in the surrounding area, the release said. The locations were chosen due to a high concentration of electric vehicles.

“We are piloting this program to meet the needs of our customers who own electric vehicles,” said Robert Bianchi, chief executive officer of the Navy Exchange Service Command. “Electric vehicle charging stations are a win for our customers, for the Navy and for the environment.”

Customers will be able to pay with either radio frequency identification credit or a ChargePoint keycard, which acts like a debit card, the statement said.

Electric vehicles and charging stations are not new for the Defense Department, which has a fleet of thousands of smaller battery-powered vehicles and has added “road-capable” electric cars like the Chevy Volt in recent months. As of August, the military had acquired 168 road-capable, plug-in electric vehicles.

Charging stations have been added at fewer than 50 installations for these government vehicles, officials have said. Officials are pondering other locations and how to fund them.

And ....

Military Adding More Electric Vehicles to Fleet, 8/5/12

Electric vehicles are becoming a more common sight on military bases as the Department of Defense adds “road-capable” electric cars such as the Chevy Volt to a fleet of thousands of smaller battery-powered vehicles.

Last month, the first two Chevy Volts arrived at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif., where they will be used as nontactical government vehicles. Eighteen Volts are about to hit the roads at Joint Base Andrews, Md., Marine Corps and Air Force officials said.

The moves are part of the Defense Department’s “green initiatives,” which seek to reduce the country’s dependence on foreign energy sources.

The Volts, which can run on gas or electricity, join more than 3,000 electric vehicles already in the military fleet, according to the 2011 Federal Fleet Report.

ebill3 said:
now Army and Air Force - get with it
The LA AFB issued a press release about a year ago saying they were going to have an all electric (or plug-in hybrid) fleet. To date, still nothing. They even built a new parking structure from the ground up since the press release and didn't include any charging spaces - although there are several 120V outlets accessible.

ebill3 said:
Way to go Navy, now Army and Air Force - get with it.

USAF's been doing it for quite some time - like 1987. ;)

PV-powered hydrogen production and EV charging, EV trucks and busses in service, etc - in 2009:
http://www.pacaf.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123150261

Many of the 1990s-era EV pickups (Ranger EV, S10 EV, US Electricar S10) were used on AF bases, and a number of bases have been using electric tugs, box vans, and other pure EVs since the mid 1980s.
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/11/plug-in-america-talks-electric-vehicles-with-the-air-force/

Additionally:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8wXie8KRrk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_evUHamx7Gc[/youtube]

AndyH said:
ebill3 said:
Way to go Navy, now Army and Air Force - get with it.

USAF's been doing it for quite some time - like 1987. ;)

PV-powered hydrogen production and EV charging, EV trucks and busses in service, etc - in 2009:
http://www.pacaf.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123150261

Many of the 1990s-era EV pickups (Ranger EV, S10 EV, US Electricar S10) were used on AF bases, and a number of bases have been using electric tugs, box vans, and other pure EVs since the mid 1980s.
Yes, many military bases use alternative fuel vehicles, including EVs - they have been directed to do so. There are government owned EVs here at JBLM - Joint Base Lewis McChord..

BUT, this thread is about providing charging facilities for privately owned EVs on military bases, and so far, it looks like the Navy is the only service moving on that front. The Army and Air Force Exchange System is studying, but nothing concrete at this point. I have forwarded that Stars and Stripes article to my contact at AAFES, but no reply as yet.

Back