EV owner charging network?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayakplayer

While commercially installed public charging stations are becoming more established, there are parts of the country where little has happened to date.

If you have installed a Level 2 EVSE, would you consider joining a network of hosts who allow other members to charge their EV at your location by appointment?

Would you consider joining the network if you have a 240 Volt circuit where guests with portable EVSE's could plug in?

What would the Network have to provide in order for you to consider joining in terms of security, compensation to the host, problem reporting, etc.?

I am planning to install and second L2 at my location for public use and joining Plugshare. Looking at the EVSE upgrade conversion as I can't justify spending $1,100 for a new EVSE L2 unit.
Pete

Petecomp1 said:
I am planning to install and second L2 at my location for public use and joining Plugshare. Looking at the EVSE upgrade conversion as I can't justify spending $1,100 for a new EVSE L2 unit.
Pete
No need to spend $1,100 for an L2 unit. How does $450 sound ?
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/05/bosch-20130508.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm hoping this isn't just a repackaged version of the Power Xpress. Last I checked, they never figured out the end charge timer incompatibility with the LEAF.

I joined plugshare, but since my EVSE travels with me, I don't have anything but a receptacle for someone else who has a portable EVSE. And that is largely what I would need to find. What I need is a map of campgrounds with 14-50 receptacles for RV camping. That may be the rural solution for those with the EVSE Upgrade.

kayakplayer said:
I joined plugshare, but since my EVSE travels with me, I don't have anything but a receptacle for someone else who has a portable EVSE. And that is largely what I would need to find. What I need is a map of campgrounds with 14-50 receptacles for RV camping. That may be the rural solution for those with the EVSE Upgrade.
Do you have an iPhone or iPad, or smart phone? There are several apps available showing RV parks and listing what hook-ups they have.

Since a Tesla can not now use CHAdeMO, and J1772 locations are often 208 volts @ 30 Amps, RV parks with 14-50 outlets (240 volts @ 50 Amps) are favorites for those guys. For a LEAF, an RV park with 240 volt @ 30 Amp service is just as good as the 14-50.

ebill3 said:
kayakplayer said:
Do you have an iPhone or iPad, or smart phone? There are several apps available showing RV parks and listing what hook-ups they have.

Since a Tesla can not now use CHAdeMO, and J1772 locations are often 208 volts @ 30 Amps, RV parks with 14-50 outlets (240 volts @ 50 Amps) are favorites for those guys. For a LEAF, an RV park with 240 volt @ 30 Amp service is just as good as the 14-50.

I thought it was reported that in RV terms a "30 amp" plug would end up being 120 volts at 30 amps and "50 amps" would be 14-50.

ebill3 said:

And although it's called 50amp service, the same 80% rule applies, and those Tesla guys you refer to are generally charging limited to 40A (not 50A).

LEAFer said:
ebill3 said:

And although it's called 50amp service, the same 80% rule applies, and those Tesla guys you refer to are generally charging limited to 40A (not 50A).
Well, cf course, and you don't even have to think about it. The 14-50 adapter supplied with the Model S UMC limits the charge rate to 40 Amps. Even if the car has dual chargers (80 Amps), you can not dial in higher than 40 Amps when using the UMC.

ebill3 said:
For a LEAF, an RV park with 240 volt @ 30 Amp service is just as good as the 14-50.

DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON !!!!

Don't mention "30 amp service" at an RV park, or you will get exactly that... at 120 volts (that means your LEAF will charge at 12 amps, since it senses 120 volts). REALLY SLOW....

Or, you can ask for "50 amp service" in which case the RV park will happily direct you to a 240 volt / 50 amp service panel with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

Remember the simple rule of thumb... don't say ANYTHING about voltage at an RV park. You want either 30 amp (which is 120 volts) or 50 amp (which is 240 volts).

ebill3 said:
LEAFer said:
ebill3 said:

Well, cf course, and you don't even have to think about it. The 14-50 adapter supplied with the Model S UMC limits the charge rate to 40 Amps. Even if the car has dual chargers (80 Amps), you can not dial in higher than 40 Amps when using the UMC.

Well, you're not limited to using the UMC at a campground!!! There's more than one using dual 14-50 "combiners" to pull up to 80 amps at RV parks.

TonyWilliams said:
Remember the simple rule of thumb... don't say ANYTHING about voltage at an RV park. You want either 30 amp (which is 120 volts) or 50 amp (which is 240 volts).
In all the years we used to RV I was quite certain nobody understood that 50 amp was over three times the power, not just 66% more as the numbers suggest. RVs are almost exclusively limited to 120V loads, so nobody thinks about it being 240V. In fact a 30-50 RV adapter will energize both legs at 120V so everything works.

TonyWilliams said:
ebill3 said:
For a LEAF, an RV park with 240 volt @ 30 Amp service is just as good as the 14-50.

Don't mention "30 amp service" at an RV park, or you will get exactly that... at 120 volts (that means your LEAF will charge at 12 amps, since it senses 120 volts). REALLY SLOW....

Or, you can ask for "50 amp service" in which case the RV park will happily direct you to a 240 volt / 50 amp service panel with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

Yes, my bad post earlier.

A couple of days ago I had to revise my plans for a trip to Seaside OR. I was going to charge overnight at an RV park at Seaside, but a three day minimum and 30 Amp service made me revise my plans to Cannon Beach.

TonyWilliams said:
Well, you're not limited to using the UMC at a campground!!! There's more than one using dual 14-50 "combiners" to pull up to 80 amps at RV parks.
True ... but to quote you
TonyWilliams said:
that type of setup is DEFINITELY NOT for average Joe Tesla driver ! :shock: and I would not encourage it (the driver for whom it's ok will be self-motivated, and he/she will be aware of the risks).

LEAFer said:
TonyWilliams said:
True ... but to quote you
TonyWilliams said:
that type of setup is DEFINITELY NOT for average Joe Tesla driver ! :shock: and I would not encourage it (the driver for whom it's ok will be self-motivated, and he/she will be aware of the risks).
Agree. I am aware of that procedure, and I'll pass. Forty Amps overnight will get me home with some to spare.

Back