EVSE Home Assessment Scheduling is Live!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the Nissan assessment scheduling software may have booked as many appointments as requested. More than AV has approved contractors to cover in some areas. Some may be getting a call to reschedule.

As car delivery is months away, a disappointment, but not a problem for me.

I stopped by my local Nissan dealer today just to find out if they knew who Nissan had chosen to be the local company who would do the home assessment and install the charger. Turns out to be Kneaper Electric, who I haven't used before. This info was from a young salesperson who seemed very enthusiastic about the Leaf. Only 21 more days for me till the assessment, Jim in Humboldt county in far northern coastal California.

I called up the PGE hotline about a second meter installed for a residential home. Here's what I was told

1. There is apparently a cost associated with PGE installing a second meter (~$2000) BUT, this cost is not an upfront cost. Basically it gets added as 21 cents per day in your PGE bill per monthly.

2. You will require a second electrical panel to be installed for this second meter. This is at owner's cost. Once it is installed, fill out a form and a E9 checklist and book in a appt for a PGE technician to perform an inspection/install. Apparently, inspection, clearance and install of the second meter can all happen in one day.

3. The monthly PGE bill that you receive is split into 2 sections, one for your regular rate (E1) which remains unaffected. The other section is for your second meter at E9B rates.

So, anyone here planning for a second meter? I mean, if your EV assessment is forcing you to upgrade your existing panel; Instead of ripping out the old panel you might as well install a new second panel dedicated to EV charging, have it put as close as you could to where your PGE meter is going to be installed. I think it just makes sense.... Heck, this way, you might as well jack in your electric dryer and washer and run the cleaning off peak along with charging your EV.

Furthermore: the person I was talking to says that PGE is currently reviewing ALL the rates E1 E6 E9A E9B etc to determine how to accomodate the use of EVs broadly. Apparently, the rates have not been reviewed since the 1990s. According to him... oh well, not sure how this will play out, anyone else knows anything?

Comments?

mxp said:
I called up the PGE hotline about a second meter installed for a residential home. Here's what I was told

1. There is apparently a cost associated with PGE installing a second meter (~$2000) BUT, this cost is not an upfront cost. Basically it gets added as 21 cents per day in your PGE bill per monthly.

2. You will require a second electrical panel to be installed for this second meter. This is at owner's cost. Once it is installed, fill out a form and a E9 checklist and book in a appt for a PGE technician to perform an inspection/install. Apparently, inspection, clearance and install of the second meter can all happen in one day.

3. The monthly PGE bill that you receive is split into 2 sections, one for your regular rate (E1) which remains unaffected. The other section is for your second meter at E9B rates.

So, anyone here planning for a second meter? I mean, if your EV assessment is forcing you to upgrade your existing panel; Instead of ripping out the old panel you might as well install a new second panel dedicated to EV charging, have it put as close as you could to where your PGE meter is going to be installed. I think it just makes sense.... Heck, this way, you might as well jack in your electric dryer and washer and run the cleaning off peak along with charging your EV.

Furthermore: the person I was talking to says that PGE is currently reviewing ALL the rates E1 E6 E9A E9B etc to determine how to accomodate the use of EVs broadly. Apparently, the rates have not been reviewed since the 1990s. According to him... oh well, not sure how this will play out, anyone else knows anything?

Comments?

All this info has been previously posted, also if you are in SF it is not allowed as well as some other cities.

mxp said:

Comments?
No to your question. But comment on your dryer+washer+EV idea: probably illegal. Which is why some cities don't want a second meter (in-law quarters in single family residence). I'm sure PG&E intends second meter for EV only, to encourage EV (night time charging whenever possible), and without breaking other rules.

Aerovironment just completed EVSE assessment. Plan is to install SCE dual meter adapter to provide second dedicated TOU meter for EV circuit. Because this is a non standard install estimate (panel mods or >35’ meter to EVSE), it will take ~3 days to complete and send cost estimate.

AV is also asking if customers want an optional install of a dedicated 120volt, 20amp outlet for level one charging. Which I might need for my other EV.

KeiJidosha said:
Aerovironment just completed EVSE assessment. Plan is to install SCE dual meter adapter to provide second dedicated TOU meter for EV circuit. Because this is a non standard install estimate (panel mods or >35’ meter to EVSE), it will take ~3 days to complete and send cost estimate.

AV is also asking if customers want an optional install of a dedicated 120volt, 20amp outlet for level one charging. Which I might need for my other EV.

Will you please post any costs when you get them to this thread-

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=668

Thanks

KeiJidosha said:
Aerovironment just completed EVSE assessment. Plan is to install SCE dual meter adapter to provide second dedicated TOU meter for EV circuit.

Is this the type with the built in 40amp breaker?

So you're going TOU on the car only and staying on your current plan for the house?

mwalsh said:
KeiJidosha said:
Aerovironment just completed EVSE assessment. Plan is to install SCE dual meter adapter to provide second dedicated TOU meter for EV circuit.

Is this the type with the built in 40amp breaker?

So you're going TOU on the car only and staying on your current plan for the house?

I will check with SCE about breaker. This would be good as I have clearance problems for a separate fuse box.

Home average ~10kWh/day, so usually in 1st or 2nd tier. MINI E uses ~20kWh/day over past year which put me in tier 5. With 5 seats + cargo room LEAF should meet 98% of my driving needs, so EV-TOU is an important cost issue for me.

KeiJidosha said:
Home average ~10kWh/day, so usually in 1st or 2nd tier. MINI E uses ~20kWh/day over past year which put me in tier 5. With 5 seats + cargo room LEAF should meet 98% of my driving needs, so EV-TOU is an important cost issue for me.

I'm taking a slightly different tack. Home average ~15kwh Winter / ~20kwh Summer (~25kwh on really hot days). Expected to use ~16-20kwh for the Leaf on workdays (8-9 days every two weeks). Putting in a 6+kwh PV system and probably going whole-house TOU (unless anyone has a better idea?).

mxp said:

Comments?
I spoke with our local building inspector who does electrical inspections, and he said that our local PG&E office does not allow a second meter, but they are checking with PG&E's HQ for guideance on how they should deal with the new requests coming from EV owners because they realize that their current model is outdated. The building inspector also told me, in his opinion, that considering PG&E's current residential rate structure, and the cost of the second meter/panel, he didn't think it would be worth it to have a second meter installed. I guess the cost-benefit of the 2nd meter/panel would have to be weighed on a case by case basis. He also relayed that PG&E is looking at their rates state-wide to deal with the influx of EVs coming to market soon, but had no idea how long it would take PG&E to rework those rates.

Either way, I have a 100A panel on an 80 year old home, with the panel being located as far away as humanly possible from our detached garage (we live on a larger corner lot). Therefore, I'll have to have a panel upgrade to 200A. I'm wondering if I'm already having that work done -- maybe it's worth it to do a 2nd panel/meter at the same time.

Locked. Checkout the continuation thread below.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=710

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back