EVSE Upgrade - Which Adapters to Get?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLewisCA

Well, I'm the proud new owner of an EVSE Upgrade (20A unit), and wow it's so much faster than the 120v I've had to use for the last week!

I already have one adapter for my dryer outlet - a 10-30/10-50. My question is - If I were to get ONE more adapter, which ONE would I be most likely to come across most often? I would not likely be stopping at RV parks, however, I would probably want to charge up at friend's houses using their dryer outlets, and maybe using some of the 240v outlets found at public parks. Other than the 10-30/10-50, what is the most common other type of plug I might find in these situations?

RLewisCA said:
Well, I'm the proud new owner of an EVSE Upgrade (20A unit), and wow it's so much faster than the 120v I've had to use for the last week!

I already have one adapter for my dryer outlet - a 10-30/10-50. My question is - If I were to get ONE more adapter, which ONE would I be most likely to come across most often? I would not likely be stopping at RV parks, however, I would probably want to charge up at friend's houses using their dryer outlets, and maybe using some of the 240v outlets found at public parks. Other than the 10-30/10-50, what is the most common other type of plug I might find in these situations?

14/50 is handy.

14-30/50/60

You can get all of those with one adapter by leaving the neutral pin out, which the EVSE doesn't use. 14-30 is the dryer outlet in newer homes. The 14-50 is used for electric ranges, at RV parks, also in shops and garages. With this one and the one you have, you'll cover most situations. After that, maybe the 6-20 which is used for small air conditioners like you find at motels, or the L14-30, used in shops and garages.

Okay, looks like 14-30/50/60 is the ticket! It should take care of 90%+ of my needs. Thanks everyone!

RLewisCA said:
I already have one adapter for my dryer outlet - a 10-30/10-50.

Which adapter is this? My dryer outlet says "NEMA 10-30R". I wish evseupgrade.com had better info. FAQ has no mention of this.

It seems like you will have the new and old dryers covered and the RV parks!!!

I'd add a 6-50 for all the welders that might be in garages. If you stay at motels, you'll want one for the motel air conditioner 240v plugs.

raghu1111 said:
RLewisCA said:

Which adapter is this? My dryer outlet says "NEMA 10-30R". I wish evseupgrade.com had better info. FAQ has no mention of this.

The standard EVSE upgrade has a NEMA L6-20p so most adapters have this as the connector. You do have the upgrade right? Or something else? Otherwise you need the 10-30p on the other end. The adapter is referred to 10-30/10-50 because the neutral/ground pin had been modified to fit both.

You want the second one down "NEMA 10 Adapter —from $44"
http://www.evseadapters.com/products.php

nema10.jpg

raghu1111 said:
RLewisCA said:
Could you perhaps be confused by the "R"? That just means "receptacle". A 10-30P (plug) has the prongs that fit into 10-30R slots.

Ray

smkettner, thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for. I haven't decided between evupgrade and Clipper Creek LCS-25 yet.

I've been feeling very excited since I learned that the Panasonic converts from L1 to L2, and hoping to do this as inexpensively as possible. I'm going to the ReStore near home to see if I can pick up cheap receptacles and a breaker for my panel. I'm going to pull 50' of 2 wire x 10 gauge cable and install a receptacle in the garage wall, but before I do, would an L6-30R or L6-50R work with the L6-20P without an adapter? The diagrams make it look like they might unless spacing varies somehow. If they work, I might put in an L6-30R and 30 Amp breaker since I'm pulling the copper rated for those. They might be fine for a shorter duration like using a table saw or welder, and since the EVSE is only going to draw 16Amps, I'm not worried about the heat building up in the longer cable either way.

kayakplayer said:
... I'm going to pull 50' of 2 wire x 10 gauge cable and install a receptacle in the garage wall, but before I do, would an L6-30R or L6-50R work with the L6-20P without an adapter? The diagrams make it look like they might unless spacing varies somehow. If they work, I might put in an L6-30R and 30 Amp breaker since I'm pulling the copper rated for those. ...
No. If you want to plug in without an adapter, use an L6-20r. Otherwise plan on making an adapter.

davewill said:
kayakplayer said:
... I'm going to pull 50' of 2 wire x 10 gauge cable and install a receptacle in the garage wall, but before I do, would an L6-30R or L6-50R work with the L6-20P without an adapter? The diagrams make it look like they might unless spacing varies somehow. If they work, I might put in an L6-30R and 30 Amp breaker since I'm pulling the copper rated for those. ...
No. If you want to plug in without an adapter, use an L6-20r. Otherwise plan on making an adapter.
I agree. I purchased an L6-30P to L6-20R adapter because a motel I charge at has an L6-30 outlet.

Although the two look similar, the L6-30 plug is larger than the L6-20 plug. (This is necessary to prevent the use of an L6-30 plug in an L6-20 outlet, a safety hazard. Same for L6-50, although my impression is that configuration is no longer used.)

Do put in the heavier gauge wire; you can upgrade the outlet someday if needed.

Not really an adapter, per se, but the most useful thing I've found to carry with the upgraded EVSE is a quick220 (or homebrew version - see this thread.) I haven't ever found a conveniently located 240v outlet at a friend's (although I'm sure they exist), but you should be able to find two 120v outlets on different legs in almost any house.

Our ReStore had some 14-30R's for a receptacle, and a couple of Leviton 14-30/50P plugs for an adapter. The two items cost me $1.57 with tax! Ended up spending about $20 more on the project because of the 3rd current carrying wire at Home Depot. Just need to pick up an L6-20R. Has anyone found a cheap source of L6-20R's?

Thanks for the tips! I picked up a plug and receptacle for an L6-30 that I'm saving for Phil's DIY 120/240 project. Too cheap to pass up at the ReStore. I also purchased a molded 14-50 plug with 4' of beefy cable for $2.50 yesterday. I think I may make a couple of short adapters out of that cable. Not sure what I could cut the Neutral blade off with since it is so thick. Hack saw and grinder?

kayakplayer said:
Not sure what I could cut the Neutral blade off with since it is so thick. Hack saw and grinder?
Yes, it's relatively soft metal, so it doesn't take much effort with a hacksaw blade. Cut it flush to the plug body then cover the ugly scar with a piece of electrical tape.

-Phil

Back