First Public Charger in San Diego 6/16 Show up to Support!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mossyleaf said:
Did anyone go by there today to see if they were completed?

It will be a bit embarrassing, I think, that they won't even be operational should they be installed.

But, I can imagine the mayor talking to a piece of conduit !!!

We just happened to be going to an event at the Air & Space Museum this afternoon, and they were finishing up those chargers. (The workers were gone when we left so I assume they were done.) No cards or fee needed to use. And if they don't allow ICE's to park there, until more EVs are delivered I suspect we'll always have prime parking spaces available to us in that part of the park!

The workers said the ones by the Fleet were already done.

gbarry42 said:
rickbecker said:
I'll wear one of gbarry's name tags.
I wouldn't do that to you. You don't have to be me :)
badge_rickbecker.jpg
I already had my gbarry badge laminated and have been wearing it to memorize my alias! :D

Thanks for the personalized badge, though, now I can switch identities as required.

BTW, I don't think the badge idea is goofy...I'll be sporting one.

Balboa Park photo sent from ECOtality newsletter this morning...I'll be there in my black Blink hat....

http://www.ecotality.com/newsletter/20110616_Commercial_Charging_Balboa_Park.html

balboa.jpg

Thanks for the photo, Randy! They're almost as beautiful as my solar panels! :lol: How appropriate to have the chargers deployed by the science and space museums. Can't wait to use 'em! Looks like the Fleet building has lots and lost of solar power modules on the roof. Nice!!!

Randy said:
Balboa Park photo sent from ECOtality newsletter this morning...I'll be there in my black Blink hat....

http://www.ecotality.com/newsletter/20110616_Commercial_Charging_Balboa_Park.html

balboa.jpg
Hmmm, No "EV Parking Only" signage. No chance these spots will be available without it.

KeiJidosha said:
I'm here charging. Final adjustments on one charger. You will need to find someone with an RFID to charge.

Do you have your own RFID, or did there just happen to be someone there from Baker who had one? I requested mine through the Blink portal a few months ago, nothing yet. I'd love to go down to the park this weekend and check things out, but it sounds like charging won't be possible.

49 EV's at the todays ECOtality's Commercial launch event in Balboa Park, most of them Leaf's. The most I have seen at any one place. Expect pictures to be posted by other MNL members later today.

So exciting to see such a pile of Leafs! Had to leave right after the speeches, but here are some pics.

2 rows parked and 2 rows quadruple-parked!
CIMG4557.jpg

more rows of Leafs!
CIMG4566.jpg

Mayor Jerry Sanders at left, going to "drive up" to EVSE in black Leaf
CIMG4558.jpg

SD Mayor Jerry Sanders speaks, ADA-compliant EVSE at right
CIMG4565.jpg

2 EVSE and irreverent sticker from Deputy Mayor of Encinitas, Jerome Stocks
CIMG4562.jpg

Unfortunately missed the event today. But, can anyone confirm that you do or do not need a RFID to use them? Would be bad if you do since I don't know that they have sent any out. I requested mine months ago... Did they address that?

You do need a Blink RFID card to use the chargers and Adrienne from ECOtality was giving them out today at the event. It might have been Adrienne, but someone from ECOtality said that the website orders for RFID cards will be fulfilled soon...

Here's a bird's eye view photo of the event. The mayor was riding in the Black Leaf and they were pulling in to charge...There were a lot of Leafs at the event and one Mini-E from up north....

event.jpg

Well, that was good fun! It was a work day, and I shouldn't have gone, but I'm glad I did. There was one plug-in Prius, and one Mini-e, and the rest of the 49 EVs were all LEAFs. Good showing, San Diego! I think the Ecotality folks were truly shocked at the turnout. They've put in 10 charging stations, but the main thing I came away with was that they better put in another 10 next year, because EVs are here to stay.

P.S. I was assured that the signage was going in very soon.

P.P.S.
Randy said:
Here's a bird's eye view photo of the event...
Great shot! Mine's the blue one...

A total of 10 chargers, 7 of those are operational at the Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park. You do need the Blink card to use the charger:

f344f4ff.jpg

Three of the chargers are on the south side of the Reuben H Fleet Science building:

d8ca3e7e.jpg

5bde8a5b.jpg

Lots of people and TV cameras for the event:

ad75e551.jpg

3d80dbc4.jpg

Maybe 50 LEAFs showed up. I showed up at 10:30am and could not get a parking spot, along with several others.

d029ef00.jpg

dc61e964.jpg

a8ea1999.jpg

6716178a.jpg

7fe504d5.jpg

Looks like 71.2% charged:

6a3654ab.jpg

Wow, great looking event, and thanks for posting those photos. Really wish i could have come down (.. it's that "work" thing which is tied in to being able to pay for the car).
Glad that so many of you did make an excellent showing. Thanks!

San Diego truly is the finest city!

I spent a better part of yesterday away from "that work thing" getting my LEAF, so I couldn't justify taking the morning off to go to the event today. Would've made it an even 50 cars, I reckon.

However, I did go at lunch to the Cali Center for Sustainable Energy to drop of my rebate form. Kyle there had been to the event, told me what a huge turnout it was.

On my way back to work, after lunch at Islands, I was passed by a blue LEAF; the driver gave me a wave, and vice-versa. Up ahead in my lane were white and silver LEAFs. I'm guessing all these were making their way back home from the event--after having charged up a bit.

Used to be I'd never see a LEAF--now I can't seem to get away from them! Not that I want to, mind you, in fact, the more the merrier (I am).

lonndoggie said:
I spent a better part of yesterday away from "that work thing" getting my LEAF, so I couldn't justify taking the morning off to go to the event today. Would've made it an even 50 cars, I reckon.

However, I did go at lunch to the Cali Center for Sustainable Energy to drop of my rebate form. Kyle there had been to the event, told me what a huge turnout it was.

On my way back to work, after lunch at Islands, I was passed by a blue LEAF; the driver gave me a wave, and vice-versa. Up ahead in my lane were white and silver LEAFs. I'm guessing all these were making their way back home from the event--after having charged up a bit.

Used to be I'd never see a LEAF--now I can't seem to get away from them! Not that I want to, mind you, in fact, the more the merrier (I am).
Absolutely! & Encinitas itself is looking to be quite well represented these days too.
As a "4/20 Res, 10/7 Order" I'm so glad to hear you too squeaked in on the CVRP.
Shaun

The white Leaf was mine and the silver one is my sons. Indeed, we were returning from the Event. It was a huge success and demonstrated that electric cars have a bright future. It was good to see the folks from Ecotality and Baker electric that worked hard with a smile to get my Charger installed. The Chargers at Balboa park are operational but need an RFID card to operate them

Great Event Everyone! Thanks for coming out and making this an overwhelming success! Great to see familiar faces and be a part of something so positive and historic. Sometimes you are involved with something that is just sooo right and this is one of those times. For all the headaches that have come along with this I have to say thanks to Nissan. If it wasn't for that company's vision and daring we wouldn't have had an event to come out to today. Happy Day :p

Back