First Public Charger in San Diego 6/16 Show up to Support!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wowsers! A LEAFalanche! Great to see such good support and turnout.

How can I get a Blink RFID card for a trip down from the OC? I have a ChargePoint card. I assume that won't work.

Great turnout, thanks for the pictures!

I hate to rain on the parade, but I have to say the mention in the UT article that the chargers are likely to cost $2.50/hour (.20/mile) once monetized takes pretty much all of the excitement out of it for me. That's $1.75/hr over tier 1 cost, or $2.25 over super-off peak cost (or, almost 10 times as much per mile as many people pay to charge at home) , and the stations themselves are already paid for by the DOE, so there's no depreciation. Who is actually going to pay that premium? Maybe someone who absolutely can only get there and back with a significant recharge, but that doesn't apply to most people within the city limits. And, who is going to get that money? I predict the public infrastructure model is going to crater if excessive profitability remains the priority, and that's a shame, because I think non-early-adopters perceive it to be necessary (we already know it's not, since it doesn't exist and we're all more or less doing fine without it.)

How can I get a Blink RFID card for a trip down from the OC? I have a ChargePoint card. I assume that won't work.

I'm not really sure why the infrastructure is being developed piece meal, but no, your Charge Point will not work.

Go to the BlinkNetwork web site to order the card. I have both CP and Blink cards now, and should be ready for OC and LA, should I ever decide to head up there.

Boomer23 said:
Wowsers! A LEAFalanche! Great to see such good support and turnout.

A BLINK person said today that cards ordered from the BLINK website should start mailing next week. "Unofficial", as this wasn't announced, just what I heard one Blink person tell another Blink person. ;)

TonyWilliams said:
and should be ready for OC and LA, should I ever decide to head up there.

Thanks Tony. And do feel free to come north for a visit. We're much more friendly than you might have heard, and we stopped lobbing vegetables and such at northbound drivers some time ago. :lol:

wsbca said:
I have to say the mention in the UT article that the chargers are likely to cost $2.50/hour (.20/mile) once monetized takes pretty much all of the excitement out of it for me. That's $1.75/hr over tier 1 cost, or $2.25 over super-off peak cost (or, almost 10 times as much per mile as many people pay to charge at home) , and the stations themselves are already paid for by the DOE, so there's no depreciation.
True, that's horribly over-priced for electricity. It is reasonably priced for parking though. And though Balboa Park doesn't charge for parking, I expect that in general the disparity between the value of the J-plug and the value of the parking space will be a major problem for the public infrastructure for years.

Who is actually going to pay that premium? Maybe someone who absolutely can only get there and back with a significant recharge, but that doesn't apply to most people within the city limits.
Me. I'm the shmuck who is going to pay that premium, 10X what I pay at home. Not most of the time, since I live well within range of the park. But sometimes I'll pay, when I might need some extra range to go somewhere else.

Say I drive to Balboa for 2 cents a mile using electricity from my garage, and I drive home for 20 cents a mile using their over-priced electricity. That's still better than driving both ways in my ICE car for 20 cents a mile both ways. All my ordinary commuting and errands, and planned trips, and the great majority of my miles, will be 2 cents a mile. Even if all my extra-ordinary unplanned trips, comprising a small portion of my annual miles, were at 20 cents a mile I wouldn't be doing any worse than driving an ICE car for those extra miles - plus I'd be driving a nicer car and saving all those tailpipe emissions too.

And, who is going to get that money? I predict the public infrastructure model is going to crater if excessive profitability remains the priority, and that's a shame, because I think non-early-adopters perceive it to be necessary (we already know it's not, since it doesn't exist and we're all more or less doing fine without it.)
I suppose the money will go into the illegally negotiated pensions, but that's another story at least as controversial as Leaf vs. Volt http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/government/article_d067e1fb-10af-5204-b650-abbec9f5e0ea.html :)

I'm counting on capitalism to expand the public infrastructure beyond the initial DOE installations. If there are a thousand charging stations making 90% profit, then some sharp businessman is going to figure out that he can make money by building competing charging stations making only 80% profit. Then someone else will figure out he can undercut that and still make money with only 50% profit. And so on.

I'm looking forward to Macy's installing their chargers. If they're free then I'll start eating lunch at the mall much more often. Of course they'll be located where it will be most convenient for me to walk into the mall through Macy's. If there's something I need, which I could buy at Macy's or at Sears or at Walmart, I'll probably just pick it up at Macy's as I pass through. I sure won't spend my time to drive over to Walmart to save $1 after I've just recharged $1 worth of electricity from Macy's.

Real sorry I missed the event – go there all the time – but just got my Leaf and the windows were being tinted.

I talked to Adrianne a couple of days ago so I knew charging would not be free – however she did not know the rate. I think we should wait and see. Although I suspect a tier 3 rate seeing most will charge during the day.

Did anyone charging today pay anything? How much?

Did anyone charge up at the Torrey Pines Lodge parking garage? She said I needed a special pass to use those. Maybe she meant the RFID?

I assume that we can thank SDG&E for the non-supportive rate if it is that high. This rate will definitely discourage going electric – is that their objective? I thought this was to publicly encourage more people to get on board.

There does seem to be free charging in the L.A Water Dept. Bldg. underground parking.

electricfuture said:
Real sorry I missed the event – go there all the time – but just got my Leaf and the windows were being tinted.

I talked to Adrianne a couple of days ago so I knew charging would not be free – however she did not know the rate. I think we should wait and see. Although I suspect a tier 3 rate seeing most will charge during the day.

Did anyone charge up at the Torrey Pines Lodge parking garage? She said I needed a special pass to use those. Maybe she meant the RFID?

I assume that we can thank SDG&E for the non-supportive rate if it is that high. This rate will definitely discourage going electric – is that their objective? I thought this was to publicly encourage more people to get on board.

There does seem to be free charging in the L.A Water Dept. Bldg. underground parking.

The UT article is quoting the rate at the Space Theater / Science Museum to be $2.50 per hour, but not until the end of the year. A Blink RFID card is required even if the price is free. No one today had to pay, and I don't think they'll be set up to charge money for the use of the EVSEs until the end of the year.

I haven't charged at the Lodge in TP, but others have and it was free when it was first set up. Not sure what their price will ultimately be. The prices will be set by the EVSE hosts, depending on their costs and their customer strategy.

I'm not sure about your thinking that SDG&E sets the rates or is responsible for the public EVSE rates. Some public EVSEs will be priced more expensively (and used less) and some others will be free and used more. The market will eventually shake out. Not all infrastructure will end up being free. For me, the bottom line is that I'll charge at home most of the time, and will grab a charge at a public location occasionally, when it is convenient and priced right.

A few notes on today's event and a summary of the conversations I had with reps from Ecotailty and SDG&E.
  • They handed out RFID cards at the event.
  • The Blink RFID cards will be in the mail by next week.
  • The EVSEs will be free until the end of the year.
  • You need a card to activate the free charge. I used the EVSE after the event was over and I needed to swipe the EVSE to activate it.
  • Before the end of the year you will need to give credit card info to activate your card.
  • The card will not work like Chargepoint where you need to add a minimum $25 credit to the card, you will instead be billed on your actual usage.
  • The charging rate is not yet set in stone. They are thinking of giving a frequent user discount or some other incentive. This will be worked out before the end of the year.
  • They plan to add a charger reservation system and a mobil app.
  • The QC CHAdeMO socket is being objected to by the Detroit manufactuers. They want the same footprint as the J1772 socket so they can utilize the existing openings on the side of the Volt and Focus. The other factor that is a concern is ADA compliance as it pertains to the weight of the CHAdeMO cable. They want the QC cable to be as lightweight as possible.
  • 49 Leafs were at the event. Impressive!

jcesare said:
[*]The QC CHAdeMO socket is being objected to by the Detroit manufactuers. They want the same footprint as the J1772 socket so they can utilize the existing openings on the side of the Volt and Focus. The other factor that is a concern is ADA compliance as it pertains to the weight of the CHAdeMO cable. They want the QC cable to be as lightweight as possible.[/list]

Those arguments from the Detroit mfrs do sound logical. The problem is, they are late to the game now, and there will be some strength to the argument that thousands of LEAFs and probably Mitsubishi iMievs will have the ChAdeMO. If they do roll over for Ford and GM, I hope there will be a conversion adapter available for less than an arm and a leg. Maybe Ford and GM will have to pay for our adapters... :twisted:

jcesare said:
[*]The QC CHAdeMO socket is being objected to by the Detroit manufactuers. They want the same footprint as the J1772 socket so they can utilize the existing openings on the side of the Volt and Focus. The other factor that is a concern is ADA compliance as it pertains to the weight of the CHAdeMO cable. They want the QC cable to be as lightweight as possible.[/list]

Boo fricken' hoo, Detroit.

What manufacturer from Detroit put their company on the line to make 100% Pure EV a reality? Nissan is far ahead in the game, and majority needs to rule in this case. I didn't spend $700 to have an extra socket sitting there looking all pretty-like.

Boomer23 said:
TonyWilliams said:
and should be ready for OC and LA, should I ever decide to head up there.

Thanks Tony. And do feel free to come north for a visit. We're much more friendly than you might have heard, and we stopped lobbing vegetables and such at northbound drivers some time ago. :lol:

Lived in Tustin and Irvine, 1984-1993. I can throw back !!!

It was great seeing all those LEAFs together...over twice what Jan had suggested might attend. Super support for developing the charging infrastructure.

jcesare said:
BTW If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to conduct a behind the scenes tour of the Model Railroad Museum after the festivities have concluded.

I am certainly glad that Joe was willing to give the Model Railroad Museum tour. I saw much much more than on my past visits. Thank you, Joe!

Randy said:
electricfuture said:

... This rate will definitely discourage going electric – is that their objective? I thought this was to publicly encourage more people to get on board.
The UT article is quoting the rate at the Space Theater / Science Museum to be $2.50 per hour, but not until the end of the year. A Blink RFID card is required even if the price is free. No one today had to pay, and I don't think they'll be set up to charge money for the use of the EVSEs until the end of the year.

I haven't charged at the Lodge in TP, but others have and it was free when it was first set up. Not sure what their price will ultimately be. The prices will be set by the EVSE hosts, depending on their costs and their customer strategy.

... For me, the bottom line is that I'll charge at home most of the time, and will grab a charge at a public location occasionally, when it is convenient and priced right.
Wow. If a host charges and EV to charge but doesn't charge a parking fee for all vehicles, I'm liable to not go to that business anymore. The cost of the parking space is a huge subsidy to all vehicles, that is far greater than the cost of an EV charging station and Electricity for the life of the charging station. It's not a matter of entitlement, EV pride or anything of the sort, it's just simple economics from the consumer's point of view and managing the lifetime operating costs of your vehicle. Maybe when gas hits $20/gallon...

The parking space costs the business about $10,000 to $40,000 each! It's odd how since EVs are new, there's the desire to charge money for everything ignoring the huge subsidies that are already given away to every vehicle. And of course they send junk mail to your home, take out ads in the paper, so EV charging could be low cost marketing. Many businesses don't charge for paper cups, take out containers, utensils etc. but they're getting to charge for a few dozen cents of electricity.... And part of the offset to the higher purchase cost of an EV is reduced operational and energy costs. Wiht most of the Charging station billing plans, they dramatically raise the cost of EV energy close to that of gasoline, at least until the price of gasoline doubles.

For LEAF owners, that are 100 mile range Electrics, the pricing is silly. Imagine how truly insane it is when you show up in your Plug In Prius that only holds 13 miles wirth of Electricity, around 3 kWHif it's completely discharged and your going to pay $2.50 or $5 for what amounts to around $0.30 worth of energy / electricity? That's going to defeat the whole idea of Plug IN charging for Plug In Hybrids, which ironically due to their small batteries will need to Plug In every chance they get to minimize gas use, even in their home city. 100 mile range EVs on the other hand won't need to plug in that often in their home city.

Charger maintenances and costs do present a few economic challenges but nothing greater than many freebies and marketing budgets businesses already spend on their customers.

They really need to think this through beyond the bean counter asset cost recovery point of view, or at least apply some of the same models they do for the parking space that any vehicle - gas, plug in hybrid, or electric uses. For the most part I consider the physical parking space, be it subsidized and free to the consumer or paid parking, to be a significantly greater costs than the EV charger and electricity such that the cost of the EV charger can just be regarded as part of the parking space or marketing budget.

So the proposed charging costs sounds way out of line, high enough that it will encourage increased use of gasoline by Plug In Hybrids.

It's going to be sad if public EV charging is priced so high that it actually becomes a dis-incentive for EVs! (and even more for Plug In Hybrids) :(

jcesare said:
[*]Before the end of the year you will need to give credit card info to activate your card.

Thus answering the one big question I had. I like the billing aspect AND the charger reservations....although the latter might prove problematic. (what if I reserved a charger (thus blocking your use of it) and then never show?)

Jimmydreams said:
...I like the billing aspect AND the charger reservations....although the latter might prove problematic. (what if I reserved a charger (thus blocking your use of it) and then never show?)
The way to handle that, I guess, is to release the reservation after reasonably short period of time, and charge you for missing it.

Back