Flat Tire @home

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csriram45

Hello,

I just went to my garage to plug in my Leaf that I had not driven since Friday. Luckily I happened to go towards the passenger side and noticed that rear passenger side tire is flat.

I have read the multiple threads on the leaf flat tire issue.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3989&hilit=changing+spare+on+a+leaf&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I realize that I should not be using the goo. Being at home I think the best option is to just take the tire off the leaf and get it fixed.

I could call road side assistance to get the tire removed I suppose but just wanted to check

- if its easy enough to use a jack and remove the wheels?
- can I use any other vehicles jack?
- any specific care I should take?
- are the jack mounting points well defined?
- after the tire is fixed, do I need any other check to be done?

I haven't had only 1 flat so far and that too it was in the middle of a highway so I just had roadside assistance come and replace with the donut. This one is different so any guidance is helpful....

Will Nissan roadside assistance remove the wheel alone? I can then have my "AAA" come and install it :-D. I know it seems silly but I got too much going on to try to figure things out so looking at all options..

How bad is the leak? If it's not too fast, I usually just way overinflate the tire and drive the car to the nearest tire shop, bringing the air pump along, just in case.

If it's way too fast a leak and the pump can't even get the tire above 0 psi, the above won't work, of course.

I didn't test the leak yet. it was past 10 pm at night so will have to check it in the AM. I hope it isnt too bad that I can fill air and then drive to nearest tire shop.

The closest are

Nissan Dealer (not the best choice i know)
America's tire
Big O Tires
Wheel Works

any preference?

KillaWhat said:
Duncan said:
you can't just fit the spare tyre from under the rear floor

oh sorry. US leaf right? :twisted:

Oh hardy Har Har.
Wait, isn't that a roo chewing on your charger cable?

:)

If it's more helpful, yes any real or spare tyre from any other car that physically fits onto the studs and over the brakes (ie turns without scraping) is acceptable to get you a few klm at low speeds to a tyre shop. many nissans match the stud pattern, so do some Toyotas and some fords.

Call tire shops first. I'm up in Marin and NO tire shop carries the right tires for our cars. I've had 3 flats and it takes 1-2 days for them to order and ship a tire each time.

learn the lesson and replace the tires.
they are weak and, with no spare, a real problem area.

you will get a discount on the existing tires because of warranty.

So drove to America's tire as I was able to fill air. Nail on side wall. Cost to replace $108+ surcharges. So have to replace. Thinking of replacing just the rear 2 and use the other one as a spare. Any thoughts on going that route?

If I were to replace them all any suggestion? How does warranty come into play?

Update: they just had one and couldn't find it. Offering the Pirelli p7 for the same price of $108. I hadn't planned on replacing tires so soon but wondering what everyone thinks? I am getting $25 credit for the other 2 while I am thinking of using the the other rear one as a spare to be left at home for future.

Just went ahead and replaced all 4 with the Pirelli C7. Grand total $495 -$70 rebate. Changing two would have costed $260 but I know in another year I would have to replace the other 2. I hope the pirellis are quiet and get me more miles on charge as others say it does.

csriram45 said:
I bought a full size spare and store it in the trunk wrapped in a plastic bag .. It has paid for its self after 2 flat tires ..Its just to time consuming waiting for a tow truck ..

I just went to my garage to plug in my Leaf that I had not driven since Friday. Luckily I happened to go towards the passenger side and noticed that rear passenger side tire is flat.

I have read the multiple threads on the leaf flat tire issue.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3989&hilit=changing+spare+on+a+leaf&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I realize that I should not be using the goo. Being at home I think the best option is to just take the tire off the leaf and get it fixed.

I could call road side assistance to get the tire removed I suppose but just wanted to check

- if its easy enough to use a jack and remove the wheels?
- can I use any other vehicles jack?
- any specific care I should take?
- are the jack mounting points well defined?
- after the tire is fixed, do I need any other check to be done?

I haven't had only 1 flat so far and that too it was in the middle of a highway so I just had roadside assistance come and replace with the donut. This one is different so any guidance is helpful....

Will Nissan roadside assistance remove the wheel alone? I can then have my "AAA" come and install it :-D. I know it seems silly but I got too much going on to try to figure things out so looking at all options..

TomT said:
I had two flats in the 10,000 miles I had the Ecopias on the car... I've had no flats in the 27,000 miles I've had the Michelins on...
I've had no flats in the 21,000 miles I've had Ecopias on the car. They are still on the car.

Even if I had not had any flats, I would still have ditched them. I didn't like how they handled, braked, or performed...

drees said:
TomT said:
I had two flats in the 10,000 miles I had the Ecopias on the car... I've had no flats in the 27,000 miles I've had the Michelins on...
I've had no flats in the 21,000 miles I've had Ecopias on the car. They are still on the car.

TomT said:
Even if I had not had any flats, I would still have ditched them. I didn't like how they handled, braked, or performed...
Like drees, I've had no flats yet: 12,400 miles for me. And I drive mountain curves and dirt roads a lot and haven't had any issues with handling. But, then, I'm trying to drive efficiently not find the adhesion limits of the tires. Screw up a curve where I live and you launch... I worry more about a blow-out when blasting down the hill on my bicycle.

I like the active safety that better tires provide in an emergency even if I'm lucky enough to never need it... I also didn't like the lack of robustness in the Ecopias (re: your comment on blowouts)...
The Michelins feel and act like real tires. The last bit of efficiency is not at the top of my tire list...

dgpcolorado said:
And I drive mountain curves and dirt roads a lot and haven't had any issues with handling. But, then, I'm trying to drive efficiently not find the adhesion limits of the tires. Screw up a curve where I live and you launch... I worry more about a blow-out when blasting down the hill on my bicycle.

Back