'Fringe' - now sponsored by Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a future (next month) LEAF owner, I disagree that this was a "bad" placement. While current LEAF owners may take the LEAF's capabilites for granted, showing the steering wheel phone controls and especially the range map along with the actors riding in a comfortable, normal looking car goes a long way to upgrade EV's "golf cart" image. Nissan needs more LEAF product placements so people get used to seeing them. If they see their favorite actors driving LEAFs, they will have an easier time visualizing themselves driving a LEAF. When I drove the Hertz rental LEAF, my impression was that it was normal enough looking that most people didn't even realize it was an EV. (Of course, here on the east coast at that time, not very many had actually seen a LEAF.)

Back to the range display. What it does not show is all of the EVSE's at parking garages in NYC. At this point, with lots of EVSEs and practically no EVs, they certainly wouldn't have had a problem getting a charge once they made it to New York! You really need to look at Chargepoint to see them. Nissan needs to figure out how to get Chargepoint's sites integrated into the NAV system. Perhaps a firmware upgrade?

However, focusing on the "Can we get there?" aspect in that scene just reinforces the range anxiety mantra in my opinion, and is somewhat counter-productive...

tps said:
As a future (next month) LEAF owner, I disagree that this was a "bad" placement. While current LEAF owners may take the LEAF's capabilites for granted, showing the steering wheel phone controls and especially the range map along with the actors riding in a comfortable, normal looking car goes a long way to upgrade EV's "golf cart" image. Nissan needs more LEAF product placements so people get used to seeing them. If they see their favorite actors driving LEAFs, they will have an easier time visualizing themselves driving a LEAF.

TomT said:
However, focusing on the "Can we get there?" aspect in that scene just reinforces the range anxiety mantra in my opinion, and is somewhat counter-productive...

I agree. It would have been much better had they not said anything about range. Have you ever seen anyone pull into a gas station on a TV show? They usually just ignore the fuel issue, and should have done so here as well.

Having not seen the show I cannot give an impression on that but I thought the person in the show illustrated how easy it was to determine driving range with the steering wheel button?.

But then again that would be encouraging a false hope now would it?

TomT said:
I'm guessing they were very careful not to say that. The question is, what will people remember? They said: "We're 40 miles out. Don't worry, we've got plenty of range." Hopefully people will remember "don't worry, we've got plenty of range" rather than than the implication I think you're making "we have to check because we might not have enough range". If they don't think about it, many people's brains seem to accept what they hear (if they hear it often enough). My thought is that Nissan worded it this way on purpose, now all they need to do is repeat it enough times. Certainly the map range display supports the "we have plenty of range" statement, it's also an important part of the this scene since it delivers the same message visually.

Edit: Dunham actually says: "It's fine, we've still got plenty of range", not "don't worry"...

They also were careful to be sure a rear shot of the LEAF was included, probably first since there's no tailpipe but also so viewers would remember the LEAFs distinctive tail lights. Also a front shot to show the distinctive headlights. That way viewers will be more likely to recognize it when they see the demo LEAFs which Nissan seems to be delivering to many dealers right about now.

Granted, this scene was over so fast most viewers would not notice all of this, but if viewers see similar scenes often enough... IMHO if you look into the way this brief placement was laid out, Nissan put a lot more thought into it than may be initially apparent.

I just watched the entire episode online. Most of the complaint seems to be directed at the fact that the LEAF thing is a "commercial". This is true, but it's over really quick, and it is for a product I want, so I actually enjoyed seeing it. The normal commercials, including the Nissan "snowboarding truck", are not only longer but somewhat annoying to me.

In a show like fringe, I'm not sure if many viewers would realize that the range map display is real, not fiction. That's the thing that made the LEAF placement better than the Nissan "snowboarding truck", the LEAF was real, while the truck was fantasy. ("Do not attempt.") I like real better.

I'm not a Fringe "regular" yet, but I think the implication is that Dunham lives in Stamford and that the LEAF is her personal car. Cool, Dunham drives a LEAF! (At least the blonde Dunham, I didn't notice a scene where the redhead Dunham was driving her car.)

johnr said:
The product placement was just a little bit over the top, but I don't think it was too much. I've seen worse. The promotions for Ford on Expedition Impossible struck me that way, but then as a reality show I kinda expect that. I saw once on some other show someone using an HP printer with a huge HP logo covering up most of the machine - that was too obvious! Of course, the best product placement is just subtle enough that you don't realize it's product placement as first. ;)
Was I the only person to spot the Volt being driven by Agent Lisbon with Patrick Jane as pax on an episode of the Mentalist this season? Nothing overt, thankfully. All vehicles on the show seem to be provided by GM.

tps said:
I'm not a Fringe "regular" yet, but I think the implication is that Dunham lives in Stamford and that the LEAF is her personal car. Cool, Dunham drives a LEAF! (At least the blonde Dunham, I didn't notice a scene where the redhead Dunham was driving her car.)

They still use Dirigibles for air travel on that side. No telling what someone would use for thier primary home vehicle.

Hedge

Tonight's episode (Feb 3), has Olivia and Peter driving a light blue LEAF in the second half of the episode. Olivia unplugs the LEAF from an AV charging station at MIT and then they drive it out to a lake. The LEAF is shown from all angles, with the badging clearly shown. The color looks like the very light blue that was used on the original advertising and the LEAFs that were shown at auto shows and toured around the country before the driving tours began.

EDIT: It might be a silver LEAF, the lighting is tricky, wintry sunlight.

Boomer23 said:
Tonight's episode (Feb 3), has Olivia and Peter driving a light blue LEAF in the second half of the episode. Olivia unplugs the LEAF from an AV charging station at MIT and then they drive it out to a lake. The LEAF is shown from all angles, with the badging clearly shown. The color looks like the very light blue that was used on the original advertising and the LEAFs that were shown at auto shows and toured around the country before the driving tours began.

EDIT: It might be a silver LEAF, the lighting is tricky, wintry sunlight.
It's was definitely silver. The blue tint seen in "our" universe is added in post-production. The "other" universe has a slight red tint.

The blue Leaf could have been seen in the network TV spot that played during the show for comparison.

Boomer23 said:
Tonight's episode (Feb 3), has Olivia and Peter driving a light blue LEAF in the second half of the episode. Olivia unplugs the LEAF from an AV charging station at MIT and then they drive it out to a lake.

She forgot to close the charge port cover though! :(

And was "the lake" in New York? That might be a bit of a stretch! ;)

lpickup said:
Boomer23 said:
Tonight's episode (Feb 3), has Olivia and Peter driving a light blue LEAF in the second half of the episode. Olivia unplugs the LEAF from an AV charging station at MIT and then they drive it out to a lake.

She forgot to close the charge port cover though! :(

And was "the lake" in New York? That might be a bit of a stretch! ;)

No, she closed it on the way back from holstering the J connector when she went back to the driver's side door.

And yeah, that distance was a real stretch from Boston. :lol:

mwalsh said:
She closed the port cover, but I don't think she closed the plastic cover over the J1772 socket.

I thought she did, right after she pulled the J plug. But I erased the episode! Dang, I knew when I was doing it that we'd have hot controversy! :lol:

Boomer23 said:
No, she closed it on the way back from holstering the J connector when she went back to the driver's side door.

Yeah, I was talking about the orange plastic thingy, not the whole hatch itself (which I love that the sound effects guys made it sound like she was closing the whole hood!

Back