GE Announces WattStation Electric Car Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyH said:
I've been involved in recommending purchases for, and working with vendors that supply goods and services to US Government organizations and personnel. It's my belief that vendors see 'Uncle Sugar' as having deep pockets. The 'government' rate at hotels is very often higher than the 'general public walking in off the street with no reservation' rate. Equipment and service contracts are often higher than for the civilian world - and this is for normal items - we're not talking about the mythical $1000 hammers or toilet seats, or delivering jet fuel to a war zone.

It is not just the government. I see that even in the corporate world. Only small businesses & consumers tend to be cost conscious. Ofcourse corporates behave very differently when it comes to their supply chain.

Maybe a couple of folks that have already gotten their estimate could have an electrician visit and give an estimate for installing a 40A outlet in the same spot?

The extra would be EVSE permit. It would take more time, since it is new (and possibly needs an extra home visit).

garygid said:
Roughly how many charging-spaces at the airport?
One charging space installed, with two kits provided. They say they will install the second one when there is suitable demand. Right now, the charging point has only been used about half a dozen times since it was installed (for several days in each instance) and there has not been a case where two people have wanted a charging point at the same time.
garygid said:
Can you describe what was involved in the installation, please?

There in the UK, what "hardware" did you install for each "charging-space"?

Just a weather-proof (outdoor) 240v socket of some sort?
Here in the UK, we get 240v power as standard and the standard household socket is 13 amp. As a consequence, every electric car comes complete with a 13 amp, 240 volt power cord as standard and most don't come with a higher output charger.

The most popular electric car in the UK is the G-Wiz. You can provide an 80% charge in just over 2 hours with a 13 amp socket which is ideal.

The installation was really simple - effectively we created an extension lead that plugged into an inside wall socket and provided a weatherproof 13 amp connector with external RCD switch. The setup was put together and certified by an electrician friend of mine, and because it was an extension lead based system it could be installed on site by a handyman.
garygid said:
Do you have a picture, or a link, to show us the socket, ... and the outdoor mounting?
I shall dig out some photographs.

garygid said:
A source and price for the hardware?
Here in the UK, you can buy this sort of equipment from companies like RS Components, Screwfix and various other firms. Cost is around £25 ($40) for all the parts.

garygid said:
Over there in the UK, a plug-in "Level 2 EVSE" (240v "safety" extenion cord) is included with the car, right?

Do you have a picture of that EVSE yet?
I haven't got a picture, but it looks identical to the cable you have in the US, plugging into the same socket on the car.

MikeBoxwell said:
Right now, the charging point has only been used about half a dozen times since it was installed (for several days in each instance) and there has not been a case where two people have wanted a charging point at the same time.
How do you know this ? Is there a way the second arrival was able to report or comment on being unable to charge due to the station being busy ? ( Or did he/she just "go away" ? )

A SoCal electrician told me that he only gets $500 for a standard install, no matter how easy or complex.

So, AV gets profit on the EVSE, the install, the "shipping", and perhaps the Permit fees as well.

They were supposed to be at the SF CA rebate workshop the other day, anyone go?

I see form the meeting- $1K est.

Given prices of other charging docks I find it hard to believe that fancy pedestal GE has on their web page would be only $1000. Has anyone seen a picture of the "home" version that was discussed at the rebate workshop?

Anyone else see the GE Wattstation commercial during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this morning? :)

BTW, there was also a Chevy commercial featuring the Volt during this broadcast.

And for that matter, a few weeks ago the Nissan Leaf commercial aired during an episode of Bones.

There are probably a lot more that I missed cause I make an effort to skip commercials!

Seems the electric car commercials are getting quite prevalent already :D

This looks like a very nice wall unit. Seems to have a pretty low profile off the wall and not too big. Has anyone gotten more information on this home unit yet?

After reading posts about the "Yves Behar Autographed Limited Edition" Residential WattStation at the CES, I registered with GE to receive more information about it. I have received an e-mail inviting me to put down a $99 deposit for one. Gotta admit that it is a fine looking EVSE (see below). The bad news is that deliveries won't be shipping until "late 2011," with a "today only" price of $1,199, which probably doesn't include installation. My wallet isn't that thick, unfortunately, but thought I would pass along the info for those interested.

wattstation.jpg

smkettner said:
And other colors look like they may someday be available. Where is the red one?
Is there a price on the regular home Wattstation?
I have yet to see ANY price for the "regular" WattStations. They will likely :?: be a bit cheaper, since they don't have Behar's autograph on them, but the unknown variable is if GE will mandate that ServiceMagic has to install them --and at what cost. I would be surprised if GE would sell them directly for less that AV's $721 price, although I might be wrong. And I haven't seen any indication when they will be available.

Earlier this month I filled out an interest form for the Wattstation and today an outreach person contacted me to discuss my need and interest in the product. When I explained that I want to have an EVSE in my garage within 45 days (optimistic about my LEAF delivery, I know), she referred me to an account manager at GE Industrial. I spoke to the account manager at length regarding the residential version of GE's first generation EVSE. Unfortunately the thing - while apparently built like a tank - comes in at about $3100 after discounting. He told me that the designer Wattstation being advertised will come in at much less than that but won't be available in time for my LEAF; late summer at the earliest. He seemed surprised by the AV cash and carry price which makes me think that Yanquetino's $1199 price point is around what GE will be charging direct. Final pricing is not available.

Isnt $1200 the same price as the Blink unit? The GE looks nice but I am alot more interested in features at this price point.

The fact that any major manufacturers at all (let alone GE) are looking at producing these charge docks now is amazing. What is their current market? Currently just a few hundred vehicles, with just a few thousand (ok... perhaps low tens of thousands combined) projected through the end of this year. For a maker like GE, this isn't really worth thinking about. So why are they getting into the market? The same reason that Nissan is - not for the short term, but for the long haul.

GE is one of the largest companies in the world. They didn't get their accidently. The maker that establishes themselves as the "gold standard" reaps the most gold. Think of it - a year ago how many had heard of a company called AeroVironment? How many had heard of GE? Which would most trust?

That so many are moving into this arena means that the real beneficiary will be us. But it will take some time. All of these prices will be high until volume warrants lowering the price. The fact that they are doing this at all should be seen as a huge positive. GE recognizes the potential.

Back