GE Announces WattStation Electric Car Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, selling expensive "featured" units to the commercial market is where the big money is.

Selling "stripped" units for residential use is just a spin-off market that they get almost "for free".

Excellent points LEAFguy.

One other thing. The market will get much bigger in 2012 already (Volt production goes to 60,000 with 45,000 for the US it doesn't require an L2 EVSE but alot of people are getting them) and TN production of the Leaf starts and full on Leaf production (lets just say at least 60,000 for the US and probably more like 100,000) for 2013.

The numbers are going to go up really fast after 2011 - anybody that wants to play in the pool needs to get in the water (and work out the bugs) this year.

I'm sick of their vaporware advertising personally. Every month, I see one of their stupid ads trumpeting that "GE loves the world" or some other baloney based on them selling a charging system that DOESN'T EXIST.

Come on GE. Spend the advertising money showing us your other cool stuff that actually exists. I really dislike that they keep showcasing a product and then have ZERO real information about the product on their website.

http://www.geindustrial.com/products/static/ecomagination-electric-vehicles/index.html

Yeah for you, you have a pretty webpage with a video where Jeffrey Immelt takes a break from advising our country on how to help business to spend some time talking about electric vehicles. Thanks.

The truth is that the residential market may not be the big money maker for them and they want the govt and private businesses to install the industrial level ones but in the meantime, I have a real-life need for a charger and want to buy their product but get mainlined to some industrial sales team that wants to sell me a $5,000 solution.

Big thumbs down to GE. Advertise what you are really delivering. Products for large institutions.

Apparently, GE has partnered with Lowes to be retailer of the Wattstation. It's going to be available in 5 CA stores beginning next month, increasing to 60 stores in September.

GE Energy Partners with Lowe's to Provide Electric Vehicle Chargers for Home and Commercial Use

GE and Lowe’s partner to provide consumers with easy access to GE’s electric vehicle charger, the GE WattStation* Wall Mount

GE Energy Industrial Solutions and Lowe's announce today at the Plug-In 2011 Conference and Exposition they will partner to offer consumers the fast-charging, easy-to-use, energy-efficient GE WattStation Wall Mount Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station.

“The innovative GE WattStation offers Lowe’s customers one of the electric-vehicle industry’s first rapid-charging solutions for use in homes and commercial businesses,” said Tom Dillon, Lowe’s merchandising vice president. “Durable, easy-to-use and sleek, this product will help transform the future of personal transportation, making an electric vehicle easily adaptable for everyday use.”

Lowe’s will introduce the GE WattStation at five stores in California in August then increase availability to 60 total stores in September. The GE WattStation will also be available to consumers nationwide on Lowes.com in September.

“The GE WattStation is fast and easy to use, and now it’s easy to buy for owners of EVs in America,” said Paul Foody, product general manager, GE Energy Industrial Solutions. “This is the first time customers can purchase the GE WattStation from a retailer, marking a milestone for GE as we help accelerate the mass adoption of EVs.”

Lowe’s installed a GE DuraStation* EV Charging Station for use at its headquarters in Mooresville, N.C., and will also install commercial GE WattStations at select stores for public use. The GE WattStation is manufactured at a GE facility in Mebane, N.C.

The GE WattStation, a Level 2 charger, fully charges an electric car in just four to eight hours compared with standard overnight charging that can take as much as 12 to 14 hours. The wall-mount unit can be installed in an EV user’s garage or outdoors, operates on a 208-240VAC circuit and is designed to work within the EV ecosystem. The sleek, robust design of the GE WattStation is NEMA 3R rated to resist rain, sleet and even ice.

The compact wall-mounted GE WattStation measures 24 inches tall, 16 inches wide and 6 inches deep. It can be installed in new or existing construction, and can either be hardwired for more permanent installations or plugged into a NEMA 6-50 receptacle for simple removal.

GE offers a portfolio of product solutions – including GE WattStation, circuit-protection equipment and transformers – that touch every part of the electric-vehicle infrastructure development. This portfolio enables GE to lead wide-scale electric-vehicle adoption and generate growth for its businesses. Innovation is a tradition at GE. For more than 100 years GE has built and serviced infrastructure to optimize energy generation and use. The development of this next-generation technology with GE reliability was a natural progression.

For more information, visit www.geelectrical.com/ev.

About GE

GE (NYSE: GE) is an advanced technology, services and finance company taking on the world’s toughest challenges. Dedicated to innovation in energy, health, transportation and infrastructure, GE operates in more than 100 countries and employs about 300,000 people worldwide. For more information, visit the company's Web site at www.ge.com.

GE also serves the energy sector by providing technology and service solutions that are based on a commitment to quality and innovation. The company continues to invest in new technology solutions and grow through strategic acquisitions to strengthen its local presence and better serve customers around the world. The businesses that comprise GE Energy www.ge.com/energy—GE Power & Water, GE Energy Services and GE Oil & Gas—work together with more than 90,000 global employees and 2010 revenues of $38 billion, to provide integrated product and service solutions in all areas of the energy industry including coal, oil, natural gas and nuclear energy; renewable resources such as water, wind, solar and biogas; as well as other alternative fuels and new grid modernization technologies to meet 21st century energy needs.

About Lowe’s

With fiscal-year 2010 sales of $48.8 billion, Lowe’s Companies, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 50 company that serves approximately 15 million customers a week at more than 1,750 home improvement stores in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world. For more information, visit Lowes.com.

* Trademarks of General Electric Company

GE Energy Industrial Solutions
Ellen Dowell, 860-793-5958
[email protected]
or
Lowe’s
Jaclyn Pardini, 704-758-4317
[email protected]

I have been hounding GE and Lowes to get info about when the Wattstation will be available in California and I finally got something concrete. Lowes corporate wrote the following:

Thank you for your interest in the GE Watt stations. Currently this is going to be in a small test market area in CA. I've located few stores that show to be included in this region. I've posted their information below:

LOWE'S OF ANTIOCH, CA
Store Number: 1043
1951 AUTO CENTER DRIVE
ANTIOCH, CA 94509
Phone: (925) 756-0370
Fax: (925) 756-0383
M-SA 6 am - 10 pm
SU 7 am - 8 pm

LOWE'S OF TEMECULA, CA
Store Number: 0775
40390 WINCHESTER ROAD
TEMECULA, CA 92591
Phone: (951) 296-1618
Fax: (951) 296-1639
M-SA 6 am - 10 pm
SU 7 am - 8 pm

LOWE'S OF SAN CLEMENTE, CA
Store Number: 1050
907 AVENIDA PICO
SAN CLEMENTE, CA 92673
Phone: (949) 369-4644
Fax: (949) 369-4637
M-SA 6 am - 9 pm
SU 7 am - 8 pm

LOWE'S OF BURBANK, CA
Store Number: 1144
2000 EMPIRE AVENUE
BURBANK, CA 91504
Phone: (818) 557-2300
Fax: (818) 557-2314
M-SA 6 am - 10 pm
SU 7 am - 9 pm

Please note that due to this being in a test market product availability is going to be limited

--

I contacted the Burbank store and the guy in the electrical department said they may have them in stock in the next few days. It wasn't in the computer yet so he didn't know the price. If I find out anything new I'll post it.

Thanks for the hounding, badamsfx. I'm pretty sure they'll be sticking to their price of $1000 cash-and-carry pre-tax. Hopefully they'll be forced to mark down, and then coupons like the 10% off movers and other promos will drive it down further.

The Burbank Lowes had just one GE Wattstation in stock today (Friday) so I bought it. $999. The manager said that the Santa Clarita store had two on order but I found that strange because Santa Clarita was not on the list of the few stores that corporate Lowes said were going to be carrying it. I guess this is going to be a slow rollout from GE.

Actually I'm having it shipped from Burbank to the Ventura store so I don't have it in hand yet and it may take a week. I'll post pictures as soon as I can rip the box open (like it's Christmas!). In the meantime GE has all the documentation online here http://www.geindustrial.com/publibr...Id=9404&prdTypeId=6061&subTypeId=4187&src=cwc. I have been in touch with an electrician in Agoura who installs solar panels and I'm going to have him put it in. I noticed the warrantee is for three years and mentions nothing about who installs the unit. I was feeling like maybe I dove in too quickly but I feel better after looking at the documentation. I was an industrial design major in college so I'm all over the Yves Behar/fuseproject connection.

Looks like a nice unit. I like that power button right on the front of the EVSE. You can easily cut the vampire power load down to 0. That is a good idea, wish the AV unit had that. Can't wait to see your install. Cool!

-Peter

mogur said:
I just wish that G.E. didn't leave such a distaste in my mouth... They are not one of my favorite companies.
I should probably be more informed. What do they do that you don't like? I did ask them if the Wattstation was manufactured in the U.S. and they said yes. That's important to me. I did seriously consider the Leviton charger but is very much just a box that sits on the wall. You think that with Apple's success and emphasis on design that other companies would start to see the importance of making good looking products.

z0ner said:
I wouldn't go near it at that price, no matter how "pretty" it is. There are more economical solutions available.

Again, I probably should have done more research but it seems that all the "majors" are coming in at about the same price. Leviton and AeroVironment are about $1,000 and the Coulomb is more like $1,200. I know that in a few years all these devices will probably be going for $200. I'm going to be looking at and using the charger every day so I don't mind paying more for something I find attractive.

I agree the look , design and color of the unit are important, especially when it will be mounted on the outside of your home

GE should offer this in white also.

Do they offer other colors than black and chrome?

badamsfx said:
mogur said:
I just wish that G.E. didn't leave such a distaste in my mouth... They are not one of my favorite companies.
I should probably be more informed. What do they do that you don't like? I did ask them if the Wattstation was manufactured in the U.S. and they said yes. That's important to me. I did seriously consider the Leviton charger but is very much just a box that sits on the wall. You think that with Apple's success and emphasis on design that other companies would start to see the importance of making good looking products.

The Leviton is also only 16a compared to the Watt Station 32 which means
more flexibility in the future.

Back