GE Announces WattStation Electric Car Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radiozero said:
received the GE Wattstation plug in model last week, ordered online on Sunday arrived on Tuesday. had my electrician install this week (Monday). Home Depot price for the Charger = $999.00 with 12 months, no interest, plus free shipping. independent electrician installation charges were $ 250.00. included new 40 amp breaker and new Nema female plug. total investment $ 1250.00, way cheaper than the $2250.00 quoted by AV.

Very pleased with the GE model.

Yes I installed my GE Wattstation back in November and it has worked perfect ever since.
Most of the AV installs are overpriced for what you get. You are much better off to work with a local installer like you did.

KJD said:
radiozero said:
received the GE Wattstation plug in model last week, ordered online on Sunday arrived on Tuesday. had my electrician install this week (Monday). Home Depot price for the Charger = $999.00 with 12 months, no interest, plus free shipping. independent electrician installation charges were $ 250.00. included new 40 amp breaker and new Nema female plug. total investment $ 1250.00, way cheaper than the $2250.00 quoted by AV.

Very pleased with the GE model.

Yes I installed my GE Wattstation back in November and it has worked perfect ever since.
Most of the AV installs are overpriced for what you get. You are much better off to work with a local installer like you did.

Regarding the Wall-to-Wheel efficiency that is discussed at places in this forum, how is that calculated? I'd also like to determine the 'electrical loss' from the GE WattStation to the battery.
Thanks,Gadge

As far as I know, the two things are one and the same. If not, someone will correct me and I will get to know if there is any difference as well.

Most people, if they are not using a separate meter or electricity-use monitor (like Kill-a-Watt), use a .85 efficiency factor. That is, using their quoted m/kwh from the odo or CW display, they calculate their total kwh used and divide by .85 to get their actual wall to wheel use of electricity. The loss is estimated at 15 percent based on several electric companies posting their past experience on their web sites.

However, I wouldn't trust that as completely accurate, just a better guess at actual electricity consumed by the car than the use of the car m/kwh by itself. I got tired of doing just an estimate so plugged a monitor in. Eye opening. Those high m/kwh figures from the car decrease and you get an accurate figure of what you are paying for electricity on a monthly basis. Then you can generate an accurate mpg-e based on consumption, kwh rates, and local fuel prices.

BTW, some have estimated that the brick consumes about 6 watts or so while plugged into the Leaf but with no charging going on (charge complete). It's actually only 1.2 watts as measured by my monitor (within 1 percent accuracy according to the manufacturer's literature).

Does anyone know anything about Ontility?

I had previously called GE for information and got myself onto their mailing list. I just got an e-mail from Ontility saying that they got my info from GE and they wanted to let me know that they are now selling the residential GE Wattstation for $750! They also have a wall-mounted commercial station for only $610!

If you know anything, please share!

Looks like we have a new EVSE low-price leader. The prices on the commercial stations should be attractive to small business that want to put in charging on the cheap as well.

I just bought a WattStation from Lowes.com (used Discover Card cashback points and a Lowe's 10% off coupon). The website said it would arrive at the store in 3 weeks, which I thought was a little long. But, then, I got a phone call from the store saying that it would actually take more like 5 weeks, as GE requires 20 business days lead time for manufacturing!

Has anyone else run into this?

I even tried calling a product management person (Lishan Du) at GE, but she hasn't returned my call.

I'm really bummed because I plan to make heavy use of my car for some volunteer work starting July 12th. :-(

I'm not knocking the Wattstation (cause I use drip only so...). But there have been recent reports/threads of more than a few people having the GE charger knocking out something in the Leaf charging system, rendering it for repairs.

Again, I'm not trying to say anything bad about the Wattstation. Was considering buying one because of the good price and because the charger features the ability to turn off the station when not in use. However, there have been too many people having trouble here with the GE unit that it is now off my short list. Check the Active Topics regarding this and come to your own conclusion.

The GE Wattstation that I have works just fine. However several other people have reported problems.

If I had it to do over again, I think that I would buy one from Clippercreek instead.

http://www.clippercreek.com/products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
If I had it to do over again, I think that I would buy one from Clippercreek instead.
Why would you want to purchase the Clippercreek charging dock? The one for about $1,000 only goes up to 4.8 KW. Not a good way to future-proof your charging dock, when there are already cars out that charge at 6.6 KW (e.g., Ford Focus Electric) and the next Leaf model will have the 6.6 KW option.

Stoaty said:
KJD said:
Why would you want to purchase the Clippercreek charging dock? The one for about $1,000 only goes up to 4.8 KW. Not a good way to future-proof your charging dock, when there are already cars out that charge at 6.6 KW (e.g., Ford Focus Electric) and the next Leaf model will have the 6.6 KW option.

Thats a good point and if the 2013 Leaf really does have a better charger that might be an issue for some people.

For me if I ever sell the 2012 Leaf that I have now (not likely) , I will be shopping for a Tesla and I would buy the charge station designed for that car.

Back