GE Announces WattStation Electric Car Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREENEV said:
Just got my 2nd quote for home charger install.....................................

$1200 for labor and materials. Per previous posts, my first quote was $400.

Getting my third and final quote on Monday.

Is everyone following county or township code requirements?

I purchased a SPX PowerExpress back at the end of Sept. When it arrived I called the Electrician who replaced my panel when I did my home expansion. I told him I needed an additional 40am 240 circuit for the garage. The SPX allows for direct connect or plug, so I had the electrician install a plug. Since he was a master, and had pulled the permits back in 2008 for the panel he didn't need additional permits, he just wired in the 220 plug and left. What I plug it is up to me.

Total Cost:

SPX PowerExpress after shipping and taxes about 820.00
40 amp 240v outlet 150.00
Hose holder to wrap the cord: under 3.00

Total under 1000.00

jbowman3 said:
I ordered my GE WattStation from Lowes.com for $999. Free shipping and no tax. Took 4 days to arrive. I installed and put in my circuit myself. You can see pictures of my install here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7425

Make sure to mount the unit before putting in the outlet! The cord that plugs in is only about a foot long.

Nice work!
Mine is installed an awaiting a LEAF in late Jan.

I am in Maryland and just got my GE WattStation installed in my garage. WattStation for $999 from Lowes. Without going into a lot of detail, the GE WattStation meets the National Electric Code standard that allows installation to a plugged outlet without hard wiring. Leviton describes why this is the case for its EVSE here: http://toyota.leviton.com/evse-fact-sheet-240v, but WattStation also meets the exception in NEC 625.19. Therefore it does not need to be hardwired in most localities that use the NEC. Furthemore, in many jurisdictions (such as Howard County, MD, where I live) residential homeowners who are merely adding an outlet do not need a permit.

Getting the outlet installed and the WattStation mounted was about $680.

My experience was pretty much the same as DKUVA's. I picked up my Wattstation at Lowes online and had it delivered to the house the day before Christmas. The electrician came out two days ago and ran a 30ft connection for $650 - ran it in conduit through the garage walling. Looks great, works great and it has an 'off' switch. I really like that.

I have no complaints, mounted it myself and my electrician said there was no code issue with plugging it in - per his report - he had checked before he did the install.

Endoguy
2012 Ocean Blue SL
VW Jetta TDI running Biodiesel

DKUVA said:
I am in Maryland and just got my GE WattStation installed in my garage. WattStation for $999 from Lowes. Without going into a lot of detail, the GE WattStation meets the National Electric Code standard that allows installation to a plugged outlet without hard wiring. Leviton describes why this is the case for its EVSE here: http://toyota.leviton.com/evse-fact-sheet-240v, but WattStation also meets the exception in NEC 625.19. Therefore it does not need to be hardwired in most localities that use the NEC. Furthemore, in many jurisdictions (such as Howard County, MD, where I live) residential homeowners who are merely adding an outlet do not need a permit.

Hi Doug

Why did you prefer the GE WattStation over Levitron when GE is so expensive? I am considering Levitron because not only it is cheaper but the fact that I will be installing it outside the house (as I do not have a garage) so most probably it has to be hard wired. How much did you pay for installation and would you mind sharing the name of electrician. I live in Carroll County in MD.

Thanks!

Raza

DKUVA said:

Oops... just noticed the price you paid!! :) Wondering how much it would cost to installed Levitron if it has to be hardwired outside the house now.

We have a Wattstation and love it!
The deal clinchers for me were the high-security lock to the mounting base, the lighted socket for the plug and the higher power capabilities (40 amp) for the next iteration of the Leaf.

A fellow in CA took his Wattstation apart and found out that it has a built-in Ethernet network port, a serial port and a port for a VFD (vacuum tube fluorescent display). Apparently the board used in the Wattstation is the same board used in the GE Industrial charging stations, ie. the DuraStation. Here is a link if you want to see the photos: http://forum.smartcar451.com/forum16/730.html He has the link to the manual for the DuraStation there too.

Best,
Ken Clifton

I am trying to decide between the GE Wattstation and the Aerovironment EVSE. My electrician will do the install.

Here is my main question:
Will the GE be lacking connectivity features? In other words, can I still view the status of my charge or start a charge session from my cell phone with this unit? I just want to make sure that if I get the GE unit that I will still have all the wireless features that Nissan claims are available when using the Aerovironment unit.

Thanks.
PS, Leaf reserved 03/06/12, probably will be getting inspected soon. I expect the install price to be very high and I am already planning to buy the GE or AV unit and have it installed by my guy if the AV install price is in fact high.

Car Wings communicates with the car not the WattStation. I can charge and turn on the climate control through the owners login. All of the data for car wings stats are being input, but seems to have a few hours delay. BTW the GE unit appears to be much more heavy duty.

I second what Kenny says about everything working with the GE WattStation. All the CarWings telemetry works and so do the remote functions.

It is a very heavy duty station. If you have any thoughts about moving to a 2013 Leaf or upgrading to the 6.6 kW internal charging then you are "future proof" in that regard, since it is one of the few rated over 7 kW.

A fellow has some photos of the interior of the Wattstation at: http://forum.smartcar451.com/forum16/730.html The board in the Wattstation (and most other parts) are the same as those used in the GE Industrial charging stations, ie. the DuraStation. He has link to the DuraStation manual there so you can see for yourself.

Everyone who has visited to look at my WattStation says the same thing: "Wow that is big..." so just keep that part in mind. If you are following NEC 2011 (the part about the top of the charger being no more than 4 feet above the floor) it becomes kind of ridiculously low, since the unit is 2 feet tall.

Best,
Ken Clifton

Thanks for the quick replies. I was pretty sure that all communications were performed through the car and that communicating with the EVSE was not important. I would hate to spenk 1K and not get all the functionality that I was looking for. Plus, if AV is taking advantage of customers who are uninformed about this new technology then I dont want to support that company.

I will be requesting my waiver today then completing the order process as the website allows.

Hopefully ordering the GE soon, depending on how long it takes to receive the car.

I have the Wattstation and it has worked well for me. I too was puzzled about the mounting height. You are kind of in a catch 22. I think the lower height is for ADA complience however, some jusistictions don't allow electrical equipment below a certain height due to possible gas vapor buildup in garages. All the other switches, plugs, etc. in the garage are 48" from the floor. Therefore 48" to the top puts all the electrical components in the unit (including the contactor) below that level. So (seeing how I installed it myself) I brought it up a little higher, about eight inches, to make it easy to wrap the cord around it and seeing how the cord falls to the floor when you hook it up to the LEAF, every foot you raise the unit is a foot of cord distance to the car you loose. If the garage is going to blow up, hitting the starter on my ICE should do the trick when the starter solenoid engages 10" from the floor. I guess it's kind of subjective.

Another big advantage of the GE station is that it can be removed and taken along on a trip. I routinely take my charger with me when I visit my brother (over 70 miles) away and then connect to his dryer outlet.

jbowman3 said:
I ordered my GE WattStation from Lowes.com for $999. Free shipping and no tax. Took 4 days to arrive. I installed and put in my circuit myself. You can see pictures of my install here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7425

Make sure to mount the unit before putting in the outlet! The cord that plugs in is only about a foot long.

James-
Thanks for the information and the great photos of your installation. I worked out a lease price directly with the dealer and now need my EVSE installed. It sounds like I can get a better installation deal by having an area electrician do it instead of the AV people. They quoted me $1500 for installation. It's a ways from my panel in the basement to my garage, but that still seemed rather high. I certainly can't install it myself like you did. But it seems like you have had a good experience with the WattStation.

Would you say I need to get a company that has installed other EVSEs or can any licensed electrician figure out how to install it and set it up?

Thanks for your help. I think my Leaf will be ready by the end of the week.

-Steve

franklin174 said:
Would you say I need to get a company that has installed other EVSEs or can any licensed electrician figure out how to install it and set it up?
Any electrician should easily be able to pull the 40a 240v circuit and have you connected for half AV price.
Nothing tricky or complex about it.

received the GE Wattstation plug in model last week, ordered online on Sunday arrived on Tuesday. had my electrician install this week (Monday). Home Depot price for the Charger = $999.00 with 12 months, no interest, plus free shipping. independent electrician installation charges were $ 250.00. included new 40 amp breaker and new Nema female plug. total investment $ 1250.00, way cheaper than the $2250.00 quoted by AV.

Very pleased with the GE model.

Back