GE Announces WattStation Electric Car Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While waiting for more information on this I decided to send a request to Lowes CS to see when they might get these back in stock ... perhaps this is considered a 'special order' perhaps not but as it still doesn't show up on the lowes.com site thought I would share it; still like this one as it has a decent holder for the 'nozzle' and cord built-in as well as I can buy it with 'cashback reward' dollars using my Discover card as mentioned above:

Good Morning xxx,

Thank you for your reply and providing the information I requested.

Lowes.com is a store inventory based web site. So, when you shop on Lowes.com you're actually shopping from the inventory of your local store, unless it's something that is special order or is coming from our fulfillment center. This is why the site asks for your zip code.

The GE Watt Station won’t be available on Lowes.com until it arrives at your store. Once your local store has the item in stock you'll be able to purchase the unit from the website and pick it up at your local store.

I've forwarded your information to senior management at the Arlington Heights, IL store. I've requested they contact you within 24 hours to provide you with additional information regarding the arrival of the GE Watt Station.

If there is anything else I can do for you please contact me.

Thank you,

Traci J.
Lowe's Customer Care

Finally the Wattstation is available to order online. Check out:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_107343-76863-EVWSWBC-CP01_0__?storeId=10151&Ntt=ge+wattstation&UserSearch=ge+wattstation&productId=3506910&N=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if you can apply for a Lowe's card online but if you buy from the store and get a Lowe's card your first purchase is 10% off and I think then you might get 5% cash back for purchases at Lowe's for a total of 15%. Not positive about combining the two but it's worth a try. Of course they mentioned this to me long after I bought mine.

Good to know -- as mentioned earlier, if you used Discover reward cash back bonus (and you had $900+ in your account) you could get 10% off bringing it down to $899.10 + tax but at least on the site (didn't place an order so perhaps this changes) the minimum shipping charge is $13.99; they show 3 in stock available via shipping but of course none at my 'local' store -- this unit comes in multiple colors but available only in black through Lowes. As I needed an EVSE unit sooner for my electrician, I went with the Schneider unit and saved $220 (before tax) and can use my 'cash back' for something else later -- this is a really nice looking unit but hard to justify the price difference. At least Lowes has them in stock again --

I'm considering this charger for my L2 charging, because it seems to be upgradeable. I mean it will be able to handle the higher charge rate of the Ford Focus and the 2013 leaf with the 6.6kw charging. Doubling the charging speed is very appealing to me, even if I have to wait for Nissan to offer it in the future.

I see that this one has other features, such as wifi, etc. It seems to have the best combination of features for the price. It seems that most people are going with something else, why?

WattStation spotted in Lowes in Chantilly Virginia
Never thought I would see the day

$1199 and they do have one on the shelf for sale, along with a nice display.

still to high $. they should sell it in white also.

Very neat to see these on this coast!

JJnHAWAII said:
I'm considering this charger for my L2 charging, because it seems to be upgradeable. I mean it will be able to handle the higher charge rate of the Ford Focus and the 2013 leaf with the 6.6kw charging. Doubling the charging speed is very appealing to me, even if I have to wait for Nissan to offer it in the future.

I see that this one has other features, such as wifi, etc. It seems to have the best combination of features for the price. It seems that most people are going with something else, why?
Many of the wall mounted EVSE support the higher charge rate of 30A that cars with 6.6 kW charging use, like the Ford Focus EV and the 2014 Nissan LEAF. The Schneider unit is also 30A. Schneider @ Home Depot $799

Lowes - search for WattStation $999 (San Jose, CA) $1199 (Chantilly, VA) Lowes has regional pricing!

The WattStation model sold by Lowes does not have WiFI, based on the product features and specifications listed by Lowes. There's a good user review on the Lowe's site - read it. (Nice unit, little issues - instructions have incorrect lag bolt size - 3/8 vs. 1/4, plug vs. hardwire models)

Plug In America's excellent listing of EV chargers: http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw it online at lowes but only 1 in stock 80 miles away but they are shipping to my local lowes no extra cost. $999 + tax. Getting my local electrician to install. Plus I will have the portable unit upgraded for travel to friends and family.

Really having a hard deciding between the Eaton Level 2 Residential charger and the GE Watt Station. I was decided on the Eaton, but now I'm going back and forth.

For those not getting a free Blink why spend even $600 on a wall amounted unit. For under $300 you can convert the Nissan unit saving enough money to likely buy a new 7.2kw unit in several years with the cash saved. It's a cord not a $995 Macbook air! The companies selling these units (and Nissan) are doing a good job confusing people into thinking they need to get something with a large useless box or with gadgets like wifi that will break or are mostly useless to LEAF owners. I saw this same nonsense years ago with the AVCON units until enough people figured it out. It's a charge cord, not a major appliance, spend a little and save your money for something more useful for the car like tinting, tire replacement, seat covers or an iPod for music in the car. I remain astonished people are spending money on some of these expensive units that will be cheap and outdated quickly. A 16A EVSE for the LEAF is all one needs now and down the road I would only spend $600 on something that is 12kw or higher because there is no need for 6kw now and it will likely be left behind as chargers rapidly go to 7.2kw or higher.

EVDRIVER said:
For those not getting a free Blink why spend even $600 on a wall amounted unit. For under $300 you can convert the Nissan unit
Because most of us want our L1 units to stay in the car, and don't want to take it in and out all the time...and getting a second upgrade is now even MORE expensive than other choices.

davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
For those not getting a free Blink why spend even $600 on a wall amounted unit. For under $300 you can convert the Nissan unit
Because most of us want our L1 units to stay in the car, and don't want to take it in and out all the time...and getting a second upgrade is now even MORE expensive than other choices.

+1.

I purchased the SPX PowerExpress before the prices went up. 125.00 for the 240v/40a wall plug and 820.00 after shipping & taxes. Overall I'm happy with it, But if the Legrand Electric Vehicle Level 2 Charging Station was advertised before I purchased the SPX, I would have changed my mind. I like the self coiling charge cable. The coiled cable is 24 ft which is longer than the SPX and should be able to fully provide power to a 7.2kW charger when they are out.

Now all I need it the car.

N952JL said:
I purchased the SPX PowerExpress before the prices went up. 125.00 for the 240v/40a wall plug and 820.00 after shipping & taxes. Overall I'm happy with it, But if the Legrand Electric Vehicle Level 2 Charging Station was advertised before I purchased the SPX, I would have changed my mind. I like the self coiling charge cable. The coiled cable is 24 ft which is longer than the SPX and should be able to fully provide power to a 7.2kW charger when they are out.

Now all I need it the car.

Legrand unit at HD with the coiled cord is just 16 amps like the Leviton 160.

Just received my first quote for L2 EVSE install in my home garage in Denver................

$400.00

Is this good, bad or ugly?

That is VERY good... unless they are just hanging/plugging in the unit to an existing 240v outlet in the perfect existing spot. If its a "standard" install then you are coming out ahead.

GREENEV said:
Just received my first quote for L2 EVSE install in my home garage in Denver................

$400.00

Is this good, bad or ugly?
I paid $350 but it is really situationally dependent. Length of the line, any fishing through walls, etc.

Ordered a GE WattStation at Lowes in Colorado a few days ago. They had to special order it since they're not in the stores yet which means it'll take about a month to get here (perfect timing too, I'll be picking up my Leaf the week of Jan 2nd hopefully).

Going through the store saves on the S&H which is $50.

Just got my 2nd quote for home charger install.....................................

$1200 for labor and materials. Per previous posts, my first quote was $400.

Getting my third and final quote on Monday.

Is everyone following county or township code requirements?

Back