Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same thing will happen to an ICE car if the battery has been disconnected or the system reset. You have to drive it for a number of miles for all the emissions system ready statuses to go positive or it will fail. It can be as much as 25 miles on some cars...

UPDATE: Funny thing has happened to a few owners after they got the new battery brackets installed. It reset/zeroed the ICE emissions in their "OBD II" data (ie. Catalyst,
Evaporative System, O2 Sensor). At some point later they took their vehicles in for emissions testing and they failed because there was no "ICE emissions" data ! :lol:

NOTE: Before today my last 1300 miles used 0.6 gal of gas.

My data from a trip I took today (Sat 6May2012).

2/3rds driving 65 MPH in cruise control mainly. 1/3rd driving 35-50 MPH. Temps in mid-60F.

68.4 TotMiles = 40.8 EV miles and 27.6 gas miles.

49.2 MPG gas = 27.6 gas miles using 0.56 gal of gas -- shows the Volt can get pretty GOOD gas engine/generator miles.
120 MPGused = 68.4 TotMiles using 0.56 gal of gas
73 MPGe** = 68.4 TotMiles using 0.56 gal of gas and 12.9 kWh electricity (10.4 kWh + charging overhead)

tourneyforstview.jpg

** MPGe calculated using spreadsheet via Progressive Automotive X PRIZE: Calculating MPGe

I think this is good PR for all *EV type vehicles actually. (Rem: moving EV miles, Total Miles, and gas ticker a little down on this page http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

GM claims Volt drivers have saved supertanker of gas
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/gm-claims-volt-drivers-have-saved-supertanker-of-gas/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GM figures Volt owners' 40 million electric miles equal:
* 16,373 cross-country trips (2,443 miles from NYC to L.A.)
* 1,606 trips around the world (24,901 miles each)
* 167 trips to the moon (238,657 miles each)

And the 2,130,000 gallons of gas saved equal:
* 50,714 barrels of gas (42 gallons per barrel)
* 387 semi-truck tankers of gas (5,500 gallons of gas each)
* [1/42nd of] a supertanker of gas (2 million gallons) [2 mil barrels actually & 42 gal/barrel]

scottf200 said:
Seems like they're comparing gallons of gas saved to barrels of oil transported. Since there are about 42 gallons of gas in a barrel of oil the numbers are off.

Herm said:
"One supertanker of gas (2 million gallons)"
Except as mentioned a supertanker carries two million BARRELS not two million GALLONS. That's a 40X difference, so even at 20K units a month rather than 2K units a month Volts would not be be displacing even a single tanker.

We use a staggering amount of oil.

Hand Free commands I've used in blue.
Examples I've used:
- "Navigation go to 'Home James' <voice destination tag>"
- "Navigation go to 'outdoor racquetball' <voice route tag>"
- "Radio 101.9 FM"
- "Radio one hundred point three FM"
- "Display day mode"
- "Navigation voice off"

I wish they'd have a command for SPORTs mode - 'Home James' - urbandictionary.com It's a movie cliche. The original saying (to the coach driver) was supposedly "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"
---------
Hands Free: This command instructs the system to enter the OnStar voice recognition system.
See “Hands-Free Calling” in the OnStar Owner's Guide for more information.

Help Commands
Help
Radio (help)
CD (help), DVD (help),
Disc (help)
Display (help)
Navigation (help)

Display Commands
Display (set/select) day (mode)
Display (set/select) night (mode)
Display (set/select) auto (mode)

Radio Commands
(radio/radio band) AM
(radio/radio band) FM
(radio/radio band) XM
Radio select <frequency> AM
Radio select <frequency> FM - I don't include "select"
Radio select <frequency> XM

CD/DVD/Disc Commands
Radio (CD/DVD/Disc)
Radio (CD/DVD/Disc) select <track number>

General Navigation Commands
Feedback On
Feedback Off

Navigation voice (guidance) on
Navigation voice (guidance) off

(cancel/goodbye/quit)

Point of Interest (POI) Commands
Navigation show (gas/gas station/gas stations)
Navigation show (dining/restaurant/restaurants)
Navigation show (ATM/ATMs)
Navigation show (hotel/hotels)
Navigation show (airport/airports)
Navigation show (shop/shops/shopping)
Navigation hide (gas/gas station/gas stations)
Navigation hide (dining/restaurant/restaurants)
Navigation hide (ATM/ATMs)
Navigation hide (hotel/hotels)
Navigation hide (airport/airports)
Navigation hide (shop/shops/shopping)

Destination and Guidance Commands
Navigation (go to) preset destination (number) one
Navigation (go to) preset destination (number) two
Navigation (go to) preset destination (number) three
Navigation (go to) preset destination (number) four
Navigation (go to) preset destination (number) five
Navigation (go to) preset destination (number) six

Navigation delete (destination/ route/next waypoint)

Route (used in conjunction with another command)
Next waypoint (used in conjunction with another command)
Add to waypoint (used in conjunction with another command)
Replace destination (used in conjunction with another command)
Yes (used in conjunction with another command)
No (used in conjunction with another command)
Destination (used for Destination VR entry, available in English language only)

Voice Tag Commands
Navigation (go to) <Voice Tag>

OnStar Command
Hands Free

scottf200 said:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/gm-claims-volt-drivers-have-saved-supertanker-of-gas/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GM figures Volt owners' 40 million electric miles equal:
* 16,373 cross-country trips (2,443 miles from NYC to L.A.)
* 1,606 trips around the world (24,901 miles each)
* 167 trips to the moon (238,657 miles each)

And the 2,130,000 gallons of gas saved equal:
* 50,714 barrels of gas (42 gallons per barrel)
* 387 semi-truck tankers of gas (5,500 gallons of gas each)
* [1/42nd of] a supertanker of gas (2 million gallons) [2 mil barrels actually & 42 gal/barrel]
Nissan, OTOH, has NO IDEA how many miles LEAF drivers have gone nor how much gasoline they have saved because CarWings will not stay connected and therefore give inaccurate data.

Our local GM dealer is running a special on non-hov cars (with leather and nav) at $279+tax with $4k down on a 36 month lease (0 security deposit). Downside is that only 10k miles per year (I would need to talk them up to at least 12k to be safe). Is this a good deal for those that don't need the HOV?

Ready2plugin said:
Our local GM dealer is running a special on non-hov cars (with leather and nav) at $279+tax with $4k down on a 36 month lease (0 security deposit). Downside is that only 10k miles per year (I would need to talk them up to at least 12k to be safe). Is this a good deal for those that don't need the HOV?
You should bring this up on gm-volt.com to get some more feedback. I'm not a leaser but for folks in the right situation you could drive a fun "EV" and come close to breaking even cost wise it would seem. Head to gm-volt.com for some more input.

Chevrolet Volt's contribution to pure EV miles!

Official site of all Volt Owners (that subscribe to OnStar - as some do not).
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
43,000,000 Electric Vehicle miles (61%)
70,000,000 Total miles
2,300,000 gals saved

~10% of Volt Owners sign up for this site written by a Volt owner (pretends to be your iPhone)
http://www.voltstats.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5,244,000 Electric Vehicle miles (70.6%)
7,428,000 Total miles

Cool map of where the voltstats.net owners are. Bright green color means higher "MPGused'
http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/OwnerMap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
qAc7.jpeg

GasBuddy.com map
qCvX.jpeg

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it seems I cant buy a complement because after six months of enjoying leaf ownership not one soul in my sphere of influence has seen fit to jump on the bandwagon. A buddy of mine did decide to get a volt though. So for the Volt is there any reason not to go with the schneider evse? I can easily see this guy getting more evs or pihs down the road.

LTLFTcomposite said:
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it seems I cant buy a complement because after six months of enjoying leaf ownership not one soul in my sphere of influence has seen fit to jump on the bandwagon. A buddy of mine did decide to get a volt though. So for the Volt is there any reason not to go with the schneider evse? I can easily see this guy getting more evs or pihs down the road.
People are inherently conservative. The more EV miles the better in any *EV car, I say!
I'd ask some Volt owners on this thread if more have installed it. I like the future proof idea. I have the $500 SPX and have been very happy but we'll get another electric car (*EV) in the next 2-3 years so I'll need to make more decisions. Did run wiring to a subpanel for future planning. 120v L1 would work for our Volt even if I need to use the L2 for another car.
Schneider-EVSE-EVlink-Level-2
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?9515-Schneider-EVSE-EVlink-Level-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Accessory Tracker: focuses on latest revision SAE J1772 and CHAdeMO compliant units
http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:

Only reason would be cost. Its a fine unit and provides some future potential, though hard to know what will be the "standard" in 5-6 years as this stuff is evolving rapidly. I drive 35-60 miles EV miles a day in my volt and I just use L1 charger that came with it. (I'm getting 45-50 miles per charge in the summer, but on days with errands I'll throw an extension cord out a window at work to get the range up a tad).

If your friend needs to lots of quick trips after returning from work, or drives > 45 a day then L2 now is good. I expect competition to eventually drive down the price If/when I get an L2, it will be for work, where it can be shared over many people, not for me at home.

Back