Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
USNews: Best Cars & Trucks Home / Cars & Trucks Rankings / Best Upscale Midsize Cars

Not bad company to be in ...

Car Rankings: Upscale Midsize Cars
Ranking of near-luxury midsize cars, including sedans and coupes, generally priced $25,000 to $40,000. BMW 3-Series, Lexus ES, Audi A4 and more. Rankings based on an in-depth analysis by U.S. News editors of all published auto ratings, reviews and test drives.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Upscale-Midsize-Cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#1.0 - 2011 BMW 3-Series
#2.1 - 2012 Chevrolet Volt
#2.2 - 2011 Infiniti G
#2.3 - 2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
#5.0 - 2012 Audi A4

scottf200 said:
USNews: Best Cars & Trucks Home / Cars & Trucks Rankings / Best Upscale Midsize Cars

Not bad company to be in ...

Car Rankings: Upscale Midsize Cars
Ranking of near-luxury midsize cars, including sedans and coupes, generally priced $25,000 to $40,000. BMW 3-Series, Lexus ES, Audi A4 and more. Rankings based on an in-depth analysis by U.S. News editors of all published auto ratings, reviews and test drives.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Upscale-Midsize-Cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#1.0 - 2011 BMW 3-Series
#2.1 - 2012 Chevrolet Volt
#2.2 - 2011 Infiniti G
#2.3 - 2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
#5.0 - 2012 Audi A4

Interesting.. it must have high enough "near-luxury" that they placed in the midsize cars even though it is formally compact.
Here are the scores for the Volt 2012

U.S.News Scores
Overall: 8.9
Performance: 9.0
Exterior: 8.0
Interior: 7.3
Safety: 10.0
Reliability: NA

Volt 2011 rating
Overall: 9.0
Performance: 9.5
Exterior: 8.0
Interior: 7.2
Reliability: 6.0

For comparison 2011 Leaf ranked #3 in Upscale Small cars. (2012 does not seem to be ranked). It was Behind the VW GTI and The Lexus CT200h and infront of 2012 Audi A3 and Acura TSX
Lead2011 U.S.News Scores
Overall: 8.5
Performance: 8.1
Exterior: 8.7
Interior: 8.2
Reliability: 6.0

I wonder which price, USA or PRC, is closer to the production cost?

And you thought the Chevy Volt was a bit expensive in the U.S. For Americans, the car's MSRP is $39,145. But get this: GM's halo car is about to go on sale in eight cities in China, and the cost is RMB 498,000 ($78,276 U.S. at today's exchange rate).
http://www.green.autoblog.com/2011/11/21/chevy-volt-cost-78000-dollars-china/#continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:

And you thought the Chevy Volt was a bit expensive in the U.S. For Americans, the car's MSRP is $39,145. But get this: GM's halo car is about to go on sale in eight cities in China, and the cost is RMB 498,000 ($78,276 U.S. at today's exchange rate).
http://www.green.autoblog.com/2011/11/21/chevy-volt-cost-78000-dollars-china/#continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The answer will depend on how one allocates R&D and manufacturing/plant tooling and over what base one amortizes the fixed costs. If they stopped at 10K per year, PCR pricing would be closer, when they scale to 100K per year they should be making profit per car at the MSRP. (Once in Volume, added parts and manufacturing time over the Cruize has been estimated at < 10K and maybe < 8K).

DrInnovation said:
edatoakrun said:

The answer will depend on how one allocates R&D and manufacturing/plant tooling and over what base one amortizes the fixed costs. If they stopped at 10K per year, PCR pricing would be closer, when they scale to 100K per year they should be making profit per car at the MSRP. (Once in Volume, added parts and manufacturing time over the Cruize has been estimated at < 10K and maybe < 8K).

Source of that $8-10 k estimate?

That sounds close to the cost of the 16 kWh battery pack (when produced in volume) alone.

The real problem with trying to calculate production costs of Any EV, is that battery manufactures are also selling at below cost, trying to reach profitability by scaling up production, just like the EV manufacturers.

The article below on A123 (supplier for the GM spark EV) gives some indication of current battery production costs.

..If A123 can continue to garner market share while cutting costs, then the company could become profitable.

When dividing sales and cost of sales by Wh sold, we can identify sales and the related costs on a per unit basis.

Sales per Wh have historically ranged between $1.30 and $1.50, while cost of sales per Wh has ranged between $1.40 and $1.80.

2009 has been the best year to date; experiencing a $.04 loss per unit of Wh. Operating expenses per Wh saw a low of $1.29/Wh in 2009. Conversely, the 2010 operating expense of $2.50/Wh is the highest thus far. The current cost structure of the company has resulted in losses per Wh in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011; the projected losses amount to $1.90, $1.33, $2.82, and $1.61, respectively...

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-ideas/long-ideas/11/11/2144547/a123-systems-can-the-company-survive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Source of that $8-10 k estimate?

That sounds close to the cost of the 16 kWh battery pack (when produced in volume) alone.

Sorry don't recall the source of that any more.. maybe tied to some stuff that came out after Steve Rattner said the 2010 production costs were about $40,000.

Yes is close to the battery. The battery is the #1 added cost, and all the costs depend heavily on the volume and price and that is a major player. Now that Bownsville is open mand making batteries I wonder if they are starting to see a reduction in costs. Interesting the current replacement price for a Volt battery pack seems to be < $4k (as reports in some thread on gm-volt.com). If the prices have already started dropping, GM is likely to keep that quite for a while until they have to announce price cuts. If Supply < Demand, there is no reason to do cost-base pricing or reduce price now.

edatoakrun said:
"DrInnovation"Sorry don't recall the source of that any more.. Interesting the current replacement price for a Volt battery pack seems to be < $4k
I find that incredible...
Wow - if you can really get a 16 kWh pack for ~$4k, I'm surprised that the EV conversion crowd hasn't caught on yet - that's a bargain for high quality battery pack.

Here is the thread on the replacement batteris, with various links in to the parts places and discussion.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10014-buy-a-NEW-2012-Chevy-Volt-for-20-500-(no-joke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/page2

Don't know how reliable it is but if the replacement battery is that cheap, that's great. Maybe I'll outside to burn some rubber.
Could easily be a dealer-only pricing so maybe the DIYer EV crowed cannot get to it, or maybe they just don't know.

When a Leaf is plugged in and charging, we know to check the blue indicator lights on the dash for its charge level.

When a Volt is plugged in, how can you tell when it is done charging and/or its general state of charge?

JPVLeaf said:
When a Leaf is plugged in and charging, we know to check the blue indicator lights on the dash for its charge level.
When a Volt is plugged in, how can you tell when it is done charging and/or its general state of charge?
The vehicle has a Charging Status Indicator (CSI) at the center of the instrument panel near the windshield. When the vehicle is plugged in and the vehicle power is off, the CSI indicates the following:
. Solid Green – Vehicle is plugged in. Battery is not fully charged. Battery is charging.
. Long Flashing Green – Vehicle is plugged in. Battery is not fully charged. Battery charging is delayed.
. Short Flashing Green – Vehicle is plugged in. Battery is fully charged.
. Solid Yellow – Vehicle is plugged in. It is normal for the CSI to turn yellow for a few seconds after plugging in a compatible charge cord. Otherwise, charging system has detected a fault and will not charge the battery. See “Charge Cord Status Indicators” later in this section.

With the doors locked, pulling the J1772 plug will set the horns a honking.
However, unplugging from the wall outlet (ie. 120v) will not honk the horn as it thinks it lost power. Some Volt owners who are in a sharing situation have this on a card on their charger (EVSE).

JPVLeaf said:

Volt:
solid green = still charging
flashing green = done charging, or charging delayed because owner forgot to override his timer delay or peak rate avoidance settings. (short flash / long flash, I wouldn't expect Leaf owners to remember which is which; I don't even remember myself without looking it up)

No way to tell state of charge if you are not the owner, requires opening the door to turn on dash display, or checking smartphone app or via website.

scottf200 said:
With the doors locked, pulling the J1772 plug will set the horns a honking.
However, unplugging from the wall outlet (ie. 120v) will not honk the horn as it thinks it lost power. Some Volt owners who are in a sharing situation have this on a card on their charger (EVSE).

This is generally true of the 2011 Volts (no small buttons on the door handles) unless the owner went to the trouble of getting the dealer to disable the alarm, or knows about the obscure, undocumented special trick of manual locking with the physical key from extensive Volt forum reading.

2012 owners are hopefully clever enough to avail themselves of the menu options to disable these annoying horn honks if they are in a potential plug-sharing situation. Hopefully they also put up a sharing protocol card/placard/sign on their dash.

Sigh. Here you are - section by section. I hope this helps, but I can't say I have much hope at this point. :twisted:

DrInnovation said:
AndyH said:
The definitions are already established and they don't include 'EREV'. If you can refute this one point than please do so - but please do not do it with something from fueleconomy.gov or the IEEE. It needs to come from the SAE or similar organization. This is open to all - if I'm wrong I'll apologize.

The relevant definitions/terminology standards at SAE would be in J1715: HEV Terminology, not IJ1711. J1715 was last updated in 2008 and currently being updated. Guess it was too much to actually read my post where I included that:

DrInnovation said:
Finally you might check out the ongoing work on Standard, J1715: HEV Terminology.
where ANL proposes vehicle terminology map includes EREV as a formal subclass of PHEV.
(See http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 2011_o.pdf)

So its not IN the old standard, its a proposed term in the revision being considered.
And? As I said already EREV is NOT in an approved standard. Wake me when J1715 goes final.

DrInnovation said:
You may recall we got on to the J1711 standard issue because you said the retrofit "prooved" GM was not aiming at quality. I said it did not prove that but rather that they were aiming at a moving target and missed. You used J1711, which was official in June 2010 and the 2009 drafts, saying GM should have known.
With respect to J1711, not only does it not specify what and how much to measure it explicitly punts on the weighting saying
J1711 said:
Decisions for on-board versus off-board emissions, relative benefits of emissions-free driving, and how best to weight a "cold-start" cycle in charge-depleting (CD) mode must first be made before a certification methodology can be determined. Thus, calculations or test methodology intended to certify a PHEV for compliance of emissions standards is beyond the scope of this document.
Which, to me, is clearly saying its not sufficient for GM to have known all of J1711 to estimate what is necessary for CARB compliance. And that was less than 6 months before the first customer deliveries!
Sigh. The absolute purpose for J1711 is to quantify electric range and the ENTIRE emissions profile for the vehicle. As already stated, the EPA decides the threshold for each pollutant. J1711 provides data and the government draws the line in the sand.

DrInnovation said:
As I said, how to weight the CD cycle is critical to Volt emissions. If you weight the obvious way by 2001 travel data, a 35m CD is almost everything that matters. But the weighting is heavily skewed to CS range. Putting it in context My wife's 8 average trips per week average (1 ~40miles, 3 5miles and 4 2miles) in her PZEV Outback have 8 cold starts and 8 warm starts over 60 miles. On the other hand my Volt with 10 trips of 15-20 miles (36m/day, 180miles total) is such I never use the ICE. The Outback is PZEV certified, the Volt is not and is currently considered "worse" by CARB because of how they choose to weight CS over CD. Its a moving standard/process and I'm not really complaining, just saying its does not mean GM, as you claimed, that GM was not aiming at a clean car. It means they optimized a different, and in my view better, definition until the CARB definitions were clear. Soon they will satisfy both.
It doesn't matter what GM thought. That's the nature of standards - there are compromises at every level. The standard must apply to ALL cars that fall under its spell. I would consider your wishes if 1. I was in charge of J1711 and 2. If I was tasked specifically with providing a GM-Specific version of J1711. Obviously I'm not, the national labs are not, and the governments are not. Everyone eats out of the same bowl of Cheerios or nobody eats. If that's perceived as a problem: So sad - man up and press on.

edit..spelling

DrInnovation said:
AndyH said:
...<snip>

All right. That must be it then. Let's see if I have this straight. GM - though they were involved in J1711 and all of the other relevant specs - and did their best to steer them where they (GM) wanted them to go (while also working on killing/neutering CARB...) wasn't sophisticated enough to actually understand or plan for the systems they were guiding (moving target and all). But what they did do - while continuing to game CARB and steer the SAE process, they also ignored it all and created the car the way it SHOULD be.

That's a hell of a pot of koolaid, that's for sure.

Classic, fall back on insults and attempted humor when the facts don't support your position.
woo hoo - we at least agree that there's a problem with facts...

DrInnovation said:
GM's Volt R&D team was arguing, I believe correctly, that the current testing is highly biased in favor of (blended) PHEVs and that the pollution from an EREV, for exactly the same size battery, is overall far better. (Even though it does not test that way with current procedure)

They showed, using the 2001 NHTS Data Set that
http://www.epa.gov/air/caaac/mstrs/may2009/gm.pdf said:
For the same size battery pack
•The EREV displaces 60% of fuel versus 55% for the PHEV.
•The EREV displaces 36% of CO2 versus 33% for the PHEV.
In the regulation game, what GM thinks is really irrelevant. They're building cars, and they're required by law to build them to the standards that are in place when the car is 'born.' They can whine, rub their hands, and put-on a massive PR campaign if they choose, but in the end if the car doesn't meet the appropriate specs then ...well... they don't get the California rebate. Sorry. GM has been in the car business for a very long time. If they haven't figured this out by now...

DrInnovation said:
They were making this case to the EPA and CARB for years, while the standard were being developed. And still the current test procedures and weightings do not realistically account for the pure EV range of a EREV, even though for the same battery size that is overall better.
And that was the point of presenting the facts found in a peer-reviewed paper from the NAS. The point is that while some might think that a bigger battery is better, in some conditions it's clearly not. What's the goal? Put the electric efficiency of the Volt, the Leaf, and an Aptera side by side. Which is better? In this case, better is lowest energy use per distance traveled. The heavy, wide, less aerodynamic vehicle will require more energy per mile while the lightweight aerodynamic vehicle will require less energy per mile. Clearly, it's about efficiency, not battery size - as they all have different sized batteries. So - what does 'better' mean to you?

DrInnovation said:
Imagine an EREV with a bigger battery that say got upto 100m all electric range and (say 74m AER by the EPA), would it be more polluting than than a LEAF? Would it have to have a secondary air-injection to base CARB? What if it got 300m AER? With the current testing procedure it would not matter, CARB testing is almost all driven by the engine emissions after the first engine start and mostly waited after depletion of the battery.
Sorry - this is very wrong. Even the old J1711 tests simply run the car on a dyno thru UDDS or various other required 'driving courses'. The spec has ZERO to do with what the car is, how it's programmed or when the engine runs. The test routes were built based on how people drive cars (LA04/UDDS was based on a LA drive loop in actual traffic with actual terrain and actual traffic lights, by instrumenting cars and capturing commute date for example.)

And this really gets to the point of my annoyance with these Volt 'infomercials' -- "our car would have better numbers if we changed the test"? Really? Hey - I would have gotten an A in biology if I was able to write the tests, too! But the point of STANDARDIZED testing is that it cannot be manipulated by the companies being evaluated. And that's a GOOD THING!

DrInnovation said:
The current tests are best gamed by starting the engine early and on a regular basis (in part to to keep the Cat converter warm), even if in the long run that burns more fuel and generates more co2. The Volt R&D team did their homework and provided a cleaner design for average users. If you have data to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

Is GM all about the environment? No, like every car company, they are a business balancing cost/benefits. But in this case CARB/EPA/SAE does not really have a good model of what is better and I do believe GM was fighting the good fight (which happens to be better for their bottom line too). (Also note that the Volt R&D team and GM corporate are not the same, so Volt R&D could have even been arguing for the greenest possible, but lost that internal battle on cost.)
Sorry - this is misleading. They may be in different divisions and maybe different divisions don't see eye-to-eye - but they both work for the big "GM Corporate" - that's the nature of corporate structures. There's one big boss on the top floor of the Renaissance Center that signs the checks and he pays both R&D and the production folks. If you want to see a real-world example of what it was like inside GM when the did their last advanced vehicle, read Shnayerson's "The Car That Could" - the author was given full access to GM when the EV-1 was being developed.

DrInnovation said:
CARB/EPA, and their NL supporters are too biased by the areas where they have long-term experience and what they can EASILY measure. They were, and some still are (like you) in denial that a EREV has some fundamental differences and that the testing is not really measuring what they can do.
This isn't about denial or bias or preconceptions on the EPA or INL side (nor on my side!) The purpose of the test is to provide a standardized result - a level playing field - so vehicles can be compared and FACTS can be published and acted upon. Again - put marketing spin and fan-boy stuff aside when digging thru the requirements or one will surely misinterpret much of what's happening!

DrInnovation said:
Anyone arguing that EREV is not a meaningful subcategory of PHEV's is in denial.
Is anyone actually doing this?! I know I'm not - I've been saying from the beginning (go look - it's early in this thread!) that this car is in fact a PHEV-40.

DrInnovation said:
Here is another example of the antiquated anti-environment rules that persist. CARB/EPA rules prohibited allowing the end-user to control the Auxiliary Power Unit (i.e. engine) E.g.
p52 on http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/hevtest/040808pres.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; said:
Consumer Manual APU Activation:
» To ensure compliance with emissions standards in-use, manual activation of the APU by the consumer will be prohibited
GOOD! This is not antiquated! This is the 'law of the land' for today -- until it's not! We have to comply with the requirement that's on the books today even if we're lobbying for a new law. That's not picking on anyone, any car, any choice, or any company -- and unless one is involved in trying to change the law they don't like, posting on forums is little more than whining.

DrInnovation said:
This makes their CARB/EPA testing easier and ensures the worst-case is measured. Is it environmentally the better choice? NO!!!
Here's another place we disconnect! It's ABSOLUTELY better to measure worst case! Because 1. worst case happens more often that people think and 2. cars are at their peak of cleanliness when they're fresh from the production line - and they get worse from there! So really, this is not the "worst case" at all - retest the car in 10 years after it's been driven hard and put up wet.
DrInnovation said:
In reality when I drive to Denver, it would be much better to have a "HOLD" mode, as the Ampera does in the EU, so I can use CS mode on the highway ad then use CD mode in city-driving down town. City-driving gets lower milage and generates far more pollution, so the hold mode should be considered a green feature (which it is in the EU). But the CARB/EPA model said they cannot give us this "green feature". I hope/believe that after enough push-back that is finally changing.
I like hold mode as well as it helps clean city air. But don't kid yourself if you think this makes the car cleaner -- if the car has a 40 mile EV range and one drives 300 miles, they can burn it now, or burn it later, but they're still gonna burn it on the trip.

DrInnovation said:
Was GM corporate trying to steer the system and change CARB? Hopefully they were! As a company are balancing costs, and benefits. If they just caved in and said they would live the the existing rules they would pay in hardware costs that have lower benefits than trying to actually change the system to measure the right things.
Do you know how much this sounds like corporate BS?! Dear Heaven! Look - a business is in...business...to make money for their shareholders. Period. While there is an emerging group of socially and environmentally responsible businesses (both for profit and non profit) springing up all over, GM is not one of them! If anyone thinks otherwise, look at how they make their money. They make their money selling pickups and SUVs - vehicles for which they have successfully lobbied for regulatory loopholes for many years in order to maximize their profits. The result? They get rich selling trucks and SUVs because these vehicles have significantly less stringent emissions requirements and less stringent passenger safety requirements. These vehicles are tailored to improve GM's profits at the expense of the people buying them!

DrInnovation said:
J1711 does not defining weightings...
That's correct - and that is absolutely correct - because J1772 defines the process for TESTING and COLLECTING DATA - it's up to government regulators to set the weightings and limits!
DrInnovation said:
... and if the weightings were really based on weightings consistent with the NSTA 2001 data, including starts, short trip frequency, and such, the Volt would likely satisfy it. But if GM started saying they would conform to the current rules/standard, the system would take much longer to change to measure the right things (and it would make the car more expensive too). I'd say they gambled on that and lost.
Sorry - we're back to "GM would have a better showing if they got to write the test" - ain't gonna happen!

DrInnovation said:
I see you snipped the example I gave.
Dr Innovation said:
Putting it in context My wife's 8 average trips per week average (1 ~40miles, 3 5miles and 4 2miles) in her PZEV Outback have 8 cold starts and 8 warm starts over 60 miles. On the other hand my Volt with 10 trips of 15-20 miles (36m/day, 180miles total) is such I never use the ICE. The Outback is PZEV certified, the Volt is not and is currently considered "worse" by CARB because of how they choose to weight CS over CD.
I'd like to hear your answer for which is cleaner for normal usage, the CARB certified PZEV Outback or the uncertified 2011 Volt? And it would be useful to see how you reach that conclusion?
Dude - do you realize you presented two completely different drive scenarios and suggested that the Volt is better than the Outback because of it? Do you now realize that this makes ZERO sense? Garbage in- garbage out. :(

Which is better - my electric motorcycle with a 60 mile EV range that I drive Monday thru Friday for a total of 20 miles each day, or a pair of Arctic Cat snowmobiles pulling sleds full of 5-gallon Jerry cans in January in Northern Wisconsin?

Did you say the motorcycle? Sorry - that's wrong - because the motorcycle cannot cut new trails in 3 feet of fresh snowfall while carrying four people to a remote fishing site - and that was the mission profile when the vehicles were selected. What? What do you mean you assumed the test was about emissions?

See? A standard statement of the test and rules from the start can be useful. ;)

I hope this helps you understand, DrInnovation, where the communication challenge lies...

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for most everyone here on My Nissan Leaf - and thankful that I'll not do a line by line in this thread any longer (among other things generally more important).

Peace out.

DrInnovation said:
Here is the thread on the replacement batteris, with various links in to the parts places and discussion.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10014-buy-a-NEW-2012-Chevy-Volt-for-20-500-(no-joke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/page2

Don't know how reliable it is but if the replacement battery is that cheap, that's great. Maybe I'll outside to burn some rubber.
Could easily be a dealer-only pricing so maybe the DIYer EV crowed cannot get to it, or maybe they just don't know.
LG charges some $500/kwh or $8K just for the cells. I won't be surprised if the "battery" price is just for the battery assembly without the cells.

Update : Nevermind. This is Ontario, CA.

I wouldn't have expected to see this ad in Canada so early.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$1995.00 OFF MSRP FOR FORUM MEMBERS ON ALL 2012 VOLTS IN STOCK THRU 11/30/11
Just announced by our GSM, all of our 2012 Volts in stock will be sold to Forum members at $1995.00 BELOW MSRP thru 11/30/11. WOW!! That's below invoice regardles of which 2012 Volt you choose! Do you live in ANOTHER STATE? No problem. We can pick you up from Ontario Int'l Airport and send you off in your new Volt or we can assist you with shipping arrangements. Attached is just a sampling of what we have to offer. We have 12 Volts in stock with many colors and options to choose from..

AndyH said:
snip snip snip

DrInnovation said:
They were making this case to the EPA and CARB for years, while the standard were being developed. And still the current test procedures and weightings do not realistically account for the pure EV range of a EREV, even though for the same battery size that is overall better.
And that was the point of presenting the facts found in a peer-reviewed paper from the NAS. The point is that while some might think that a bigger battery is better, in some conditions it's clearly not. What's the goal? Put the electric efficiency of the Volt, the Leaf, and an Aptera side by side. Which is better? In this case, better is lowest energy use per distance traveled. The heavy, wide, less aerodynamic vehicle will require more energy per mile while the lightweight aerodynamic vehicle will require less energy per mile. Clearly, it's about efficiency, not battery size - as they all have different sized batteries. So - what does 'better' mean to you?

Better for me personally, is overall pollution on my driving mix. In the more general case its pollution from an average driving mix, not just a partial use like just the commuter part, excluding the long-distance trips.

AndyH said:
DrInnovation said:
Imagine an EREV with a bigger battery that say got upto 100m all electric range and (say 74m AER by the EPA), would it be more polluting than than a LEAF? Would it have to have a secondary air-injection to base CARB? What if it got 300m AER? With the current testing procedure it would not matter, CARB testing is almost all driven by the engine emissions after the first engine start and mostly waited after depletion of the battery.
Sorry - this is very wrong. Even the old J1711 tests simply run the car on a dyno thru UDDS or various other required 'driving courses'. The spec has ZERO to do with what the car is, how it's programmed or when the engine runs. The test routes were built based on how people drive cars (LA04/UDDS was based on a LA drive loop in actual traffic with actual terrain and actual traffic lights, by instrumenting cars and capturing commute date for example.)

Have you actually read either the old J1711 or the new. Your statement is simply wrong. The Volt can run on a dyno through UDDS, L4, US06 and all the existing standar tests without ever using the ICE. That is part of the point. If they measured it that way the Volt would not produce any emissions.

The old J1711 test measured the emissions in CD mode and CS mode and took the numerical average (i.e. weighed them equally). The test procedures call for running it through as many of the given test cycle (UDDS, HW, etc.) that is being considered until the "plug-in charge" is depleted and it behaves like a charge-sustaining hybrid. That provided the CD measurement. Then they measure emissions for charge-sustaining mode. It did not matter if you had a 5mile CD mode or a 300 mile CD mode, they were weighted equal with CS.

The new J1711 tests refine what is CD and CS mode (based on state of charge fluctuations) and has a somewhat more complex CD measurement (with various stops/starts and waits between the various repeated cycles, with "cold" and "hot" soaks). Its better and does allow a non-equal weighting, but its still very heavily skewed to CS mode emissions, and the weighting does not depend on the number of CD miles traveled. (There are still serious issue about how the dilution factor impacts CD-range testing for PHEV.)

AndyH said:
snip snip snip

DrInnovation said:
Here is another example of the antiquated anti-environment rules that persist. CARB/EPA rules prohibited allowing the end-user to control the Auxiliary Power Unit (i.e. engine) E.g.
p52 on http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/hevtest/040808pres.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; said:
Consumer Manual APU Activation:
» To ensure compliance with emissions standards in-use, manual activation of the APU by the consumer will be prohibited
GOOD! This is not antiquated! This is the 'law of the land' for today -- until it's not! We have to comply with the requirement that's on the books today even if we're lobbying for a new law. That's not picking on anyone, any car, any choice, or any company -- and unless one is involved in trying to change the law they don't like, posting on forums is little more than whining.
GM is fighting it, better than I could. Here on the forum I was/am just defending the Volt against your baseless acquisition that "Looks like proof that the engineers didn't plan a 'really clean' car from the start ". I content they were planning for a "really clean" car, just that EPA/CARB is so behind them they don't even have good process to measure it properly.

AndyH said:
snip snip snip

DrInnovation said:
J1711 does not defining weightings...
That's correct - and that is absolutely correct - because J1772 defines the process for TESTING and COLLECTING DATA - it's up to government regulators to set the weightings and limits!

And when, pray tell, were those weightings and limits provided to GM. If you want to claim GM was not planning for a clean car, lets see evidence they knew about the test procedures, weightings and limits while they were still planning/designing the car.

AndyH said:
snip snip snip

DrInnovation said:
I see you snipped the example I gave.
Dr Innovation said:
Putting it in context My wife's 8 average trips per week average (1 ~40miles, 3 5miles and 4 2miles) in her PZEV Outback have 8 cold starts and 8 warm starts over 60 miles. On the other hand my Volt with 10 trips of 15-20 miles (36m/day, 180miles total) is such I never use the ICE. The Outback is PZEV certified, the Volt is not and is currently considered "worse" by CARB because of how they choose to weight CS over CD.
I'd like to hear your answer for which is cleaner for normal usage, the CARB certified PZEV Outback or the uncertified 2011 Volt? And it would be useful to see how you reach that conclusion?
Dude - do you realize you presented two completely different drive scenarios and suggested that the Volt is better than the Outback because of it? Do you now realize that this makes ZERO sense? Garbage in- garbage out. :(
Sir, are you intentionally avoiding the question, or are you really that obtuse?

In the scenarios I gave, the Volt has more miles and more trips, yet has no ICE usage. It had the more difficult scenario. However, since you seem unwilling to answer in that setting, please consider both vehicles on each scenarios. Then they are the same drive scenarios, and are comparable.

AndyH said:
I hope this helps you understand, DrInnovation, where the communication challenge lies...

Yep, it has help me understand you refuse to answer meaningful questions when you won't like the answers, and choose to make statements without facts or inconsistent with known facts.

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your Turkey.

evnow said:
I wouldn't have expected to see this ad in Canada so early.
[$1995 discount near Ontario International Airport]

Ontario international airport (ONT) is in Ontario, California, just east of Los Angeles. Not the Canadian province. Don't think there is an Ontario international airport in Canada?

It makes some sense if some California dealers didn't plan ahead, and stocked a few too many non-HOV, non-$1500 rebate eligible Volts, now that the sticker eligible Volts can be ordered.

Back