Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to be fairly easy to get Volts without a markup.

voltmsrp.png

evnow said:
GeorgeParrott said:
The Volt is fully functional as one's single car for all purposes; the Leaf is an around town commuter...period.
There is no such thing as an all purpose car. If there was, we wouldn't have had so many models from each auto major.

Case in point; I was initially interested in the Volt due its motive power flexibility but in the final analysis a LEAF made more sense because a five seater is really the minimum passenger space needed to meet the everyday demands of my family. Additionally, after nearly two months of ownership I have not once had need for a range greater than what the LEAF offers. Add in the Volt's price premium and its exclusion from the CA rebate and the LEAF was definitely a better fit for me.

redLEAF said:
EV dealers claiming tax rebate ?

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/ev-dealers-claiming-7500-tax-credit-gm-nissan-49855.html

I believe the Chicago area dealer (not identified) was Grossinger in Palatine (or perhaps Rockenbach in Gurnee?) ... in any case it's interesting to see and it made 'official' that new Volts can't be sold in IL yet (we all know that but perhaps an unsuspecting visitor to this Chevy dealer would not!)

I test drove the Volt at Grossinger a couple of weeks back. They were incredibly nice to me (and I am not a fan of dealerships in general). They made it pretty clear that they couldn't sell it to me, let me drive it around by myself with my wife, with zero sales pressure. I hope they are not doing anything "wrong."

Kataphn said:
Article about dealing gouging with Volt in LA Times this morning, business section.
My favorite quote from the article:
GM's Peterson called the notion of dealers gaming the tax credit an "exaggerated claim" because no customers have complained.
I would think the customer is still going to claim the tax credit. What is the worst that would happen? They get audited and owe back the tax credit? I wonder what the odds of that acutally happening is.

Spies said:
I would think the customer is still going to claim the tax credit. What is the worst that would happen? They get audited and owe back the tax credit? I wonder what the odds of that acutally happening is.
Don't you have to supply the VIN? I would think an attempt to claim the credit on a used car would get detected pretty quick.

davewill said:
Don't you have to supply the VIN? I would think an attempt to claim the credit on a used car would get detected pretty quick.
Perhaps, but I don't think it would stop someone from trying in hopes that it will get through unnoticed. Heck, someone even tried it with a Hummer.
For example, some car owners tried to claim the $7,500 credit for their Hummer H3, Dodge Durango or Cadillac Escalade. Someone claimed it for a golf cart.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/03/ap/national/main7314846.shtml

from an article I read they dont have to supply a vin.. quite a few people here have received Leafs, and done taxes.. did you supply a vin number in the tax form?

Just look at the form. It's all of 14 lines long and there is no place to put the VIN. You do have to supply a VIN to get the CA rebate, so that may be the source of the confusion. (Of course, Volts don't even qualify for that one at the present.)

Ray

redLEAF said:
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/ev-dealers-claiming-7500-tax-credit-gm-nissan-49855.html

I believe the Chicago area dealer (not identified) was Grossinger in Palatine (or perhaps Rockenbach in Gurnee?) ... in any case it's interesting to see and it made 'official' that new Volts can't be sold in IL yet (we all know that but perhaps an unsuspecting visitor to this Chevy dealer would not!)

This is one of those cases where someone with an ideology is pushing stories about Volt (because he doesn't like Obama). NLPC is one of those right wing organizations that hide behind a benign name. The head of NLPC was a GM dealer who was removed during bankruptcy. This is the same guy who earlier tried to claim Volt caused the house fire.

http://jalopnik.com/5806946/chevy-dealers-are-not-scamming-taxpayers-on-volt-tax-credits

The National Legal and Policy Center is one of a number of groups which criticizes the Obama administration for a living. Funded in part by right-wing activist Richard Mellon Scaife, nearly all of its stories target Democrats in some fashion, and the Volt piece was part of the site's "union corruption update" series.

http://gm-volt.com/2011/06/03/chevrolet-dealers-are-not-pervasively-gaming-the-volts-tax-credit/

From the article:
It will obviously still be eligible for all federal and state purchase incentives, placing the Volt as low as $27,495 in California.
It is not obvious to me since the 2011 Volt is not eligible for the California rebate. Has this actually changed for the 2012 model? Her math is still wrong though since the Volt being a plug in hybrid the maximum California rebate it would be eligible for is $3,000 not $5,000.

Spies said:
From the article:
It will obviously still be eligible for all federal and state purchase incentives, placing the Volt as low as $27,495 in California.
It is not obvious to me since the 2011 Volt is not eligible for the California rebate. Has this actually changed for the 2012 model? Her math is still wrong though since the Volt being a plug in hybrid the maximum California rebate it would be eligible for is $3,000 not $5,000.
Even more, since the CA Rebate Program is re-structuring in just a few days or weeks, that $3,000 figure will drop to $1,500 if I remember David's post correctly.

Glenn

Volt may finally qualify for the HOV sticker if it gets the CARB clean bill of health.. and perhaps whatever is left of the full rebate

Spies said:
From the article:

The author lives in the UK so perhaps it was a rush before fact checking ... the UK is getting its own version (Vauxhall Ampera E-Rev) of the Volt but I'm sure they don't know all of the ins and outs of U.S. based tax incentives.

Plus, AutoWeek says the GM is now taking orders nationwide for the 2012 version ...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110610/CARNEWS/110619994

Here's an interesting Volt read:

" . . . . . . . at least one GM representative has reportedly admitted that the Volt's problem is soft demand, not low production. Speaking with the Daily Caller, GM's Director of Policy and Washington Communications, Greg Martin, said that (as paraphrased by the Daily Caller):
"Its underwhelming sales numbers have a lot to do with the fact that it's a new vehicle, there still is not an adequate infrastructure in place for the advanced battery, and the technology is only scalable to a certain point. That means that any GM-manufactured electric car will be a small car "with a technology that comes with a price." Not exactly the apple of the soccer mom's eye. . . . . . . ."

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/03/chevy-volt-sales-whats-going-on/

oyvey ... if my feelings about my company's product were expressed in such a manner, my job would not be long for this world, He must already have a nice secure retirement tucked away. What's continually bizar is that GM continues to SAY one thing about the Volt, then change it. As this article points out - most recently, GM SAID that production would increase in May. Then (as GM has historically done) GM shuts down their plant for 2012 re-tooling ... so their next PR plug is that naturally the scheduled plant shut down means Volt production will be in the toilet. Now, how does one reconcile GM claiming sales volume would increase in May if/when they'd already planned to shut production down - albeit temporarily?

hill said:
Here's an interesting Volt read:

" . . . . . . . at least one GM representative has reportedly admitted that the Volt's problem is soft demand, not low production....

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/03/chevy-volt-sales-whats-going-on/
Note that the actual quote does not support the speculation ABG writer is making. A poor article by ABG - whats new ?

Not that the demand for Volt can't be soft - afterall GM refuses to give the number of orders.

Back