Good reason to have an EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In NJ the attendant pumps the Gas. It's the Law.

When my wife is at the Pump her doors are locked and windows closed.

Lasareath said:
In NJ the attendant pumps the Gas. It's the Law.
I believe that's true in Oregon, too, although my impression is the rule is there to ensure people don't top off, for air quality reasons.

Here is a little more info... It is basically a hold-over law from a time and a situation that no longer exists...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/18812/why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-oregon-and-new-jersey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rat said:
I believe that's true in Oregon, too, although my impression is the rule is there to ensure people don't top off, for air quality reasons.

I am glad to see that Oregon law now allows motorcyclists to pump their own gas. I once had a "professional" attendant somewhere in Oregon refuse to let me pump the gas. He then inadvertently pulled the nozzle out of the tank at full flow and poured gasoline all over the tank and the hot air-cooled engine. I was surprised that there was no fire. The gasoline evaporated when it hit the hot engine and there was no ignition source (other than heat) so there was no fire. I never let an attendant fill my motorcycle again.

Another good reason to have an EV is I commute in the HOV lane in air-conditioned comfort and keep the motorcycles for pleasure travel.

Gerry

GRA said:
We used to visit relatives in Oregon every summer, and I was always under the impression that the real reason behind the law was to provide jobs for teens.
Maybe, but on the two or three occasions while I've lived here that there have been ballot measures seeking repeal of that law, I've voted to keep it mostly on the grounds of preserving state individuality. Well, that plus detesting the smell of the gasoline that invariably got on my hands when I pumped my own.

Oregon must feel differently about aircraft. Drop into any Oregon airport with modern refueling equipment and anyone (some while standing on a ladder) can fill up their own plane. Drive a rental car into town and don't even think about touching a gas pump! I don't mind, however; it is nice to stay in the car on rainy days, and the price is usually the same or lower than California self-serve. ;)

TomT said:
Here is a little more info... It is basically a hold-over law from a time and a situation that no longer exists...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/18812/why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-oregon-and-new-jersey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rat said:
Sounds like switch blade knife laws.

I like pumping my own gas. It's silly to have to pay somebody else, and due to the dearth of full serve in my area it's obvious most people have no interest in paying for the convenience.

My first job (for about 4 years in the Sixties) was pumping gas at Lafollette's Phillips 66 in Lexington, KY. I wore a white shirt with a "66" logo and black tie, and always offered to check the oil, so I could spot worn fan belts, dirty air filters, etc. and upsell the customer. I would always wash the windshield (sometimes catching the ire of the customer for not completely eradicating a smashed insect), fill the tires (when obviously low or I was asked to), and otherwise tend the customers' cars. After all, they were spending 35 cents a gallon for gas, so they deserved the royal treatment. Those were the days when I would go on a service call to jump start a car or change a flat for $5, or tow you into the shop for $10.

Back