Got my CCS1 -> CHAdeMO adapter in the mail. A few pictures.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, I just did my bi-weekly check of the Chinese company making the CCS2 adapter, and the GBP price has nearly HALVED; price before tax if you order 1000 units is now just under £400; previously around £700.

Watch for the UK reseller prices to drop soon; or time to organise a club bulk purchase ?

Would be interesting to DC FC on at least non-EVgo ABB, Signet "v1" and "v2", EA BTC Power and some non-EA BTC Power (there are numerous variants), non-EA Signet, to name a few.

An EV-Connect ABB unit worked for me yesterday (there's a bank of them at the local Ford dealer), so we are 4-for-4 for now. Can't speak for the others in your list.

Thanks for the information.

I've thought of finding awrecked leaf to convert my 1973 opel gt to electric. I only drive 100km at the most a day a few times a month. I live in a coach hkusesi I can run an extension cord out to my car on the driveway but this is making me rethink since I don't know if I'll ever end up in an apartment again

Indeed, the Hippie's adventures were my introduction to this adapter. I was pleased when they made a gift of that test unit to him, and said so in an email to Patrick after I got my shipping notification. Without that, somebody might have had to start a gofundme or something.

Disagree. Some adapter types are just a matter of wires being rerouted in a plastic molding, but two charging protocols had to be be reverse engineered to make this one work. Since most of the investment for that is on the software development end (and even involved flying an engineer across the world, as documented in the videos mentioned above), I won't be surprised if the prices decrease some after the initial sales. But if that's going to happen, somebody has be in the first wave of buyers. I really don't splurge on a lot of things, and am happy to do my bit here to help get the ball rolling.
There's also a battery inside that allows it to activate the car BMS. Just the plug is pretty expensive, so I consider anything under $1000 to be pretty reasonable considering the engineering involved. Given that there are not going to be very many, if any, ChaDeMo EVs being produced going forward, I'm a little surprised that they invested the resources to develop it at this price point.

I'm a little surprised that they invested the resources to develop it at this price point.
Exactly. And at this time point as well. Why this wasn't done 5-6 years ago is puzzling. Nissan would have used it as an excuse to not change the LEAF to CCS but clearly we know now they didn't anyway. They could have potentially sold many more 2020-2025 LEAFs with the CHAdeMO stigma lifted, or mitigated for a price. I agree with the price point too considering the parts cost, the engineering time, and the expected market. I didn't pull the trigger yet (and I am debating if the $80 increase for A2ZEV is worth it) but if it were at $600-$700 I wouldn't wait much longer. I don't really expect a price drop either.

Many LEAFs in Europe, too, where CCS2 is now standard. The matching CCS2 to CHAdeMO adaptor is almost certainly the same apart from the CCS plug shape, and there's a trickle of imports of used cars from Japan (still using Chad) to CCS countries to maintain sales for years. If they sell 100 000 with a profit margin of $100 to $200 a time, that may be enough to pay for the design and return a profit.

Exactly. And at this time point as well. Why this wasn't done 5-6 years ago is puzzling. Nissan would have used it as an excuse to not change the LEAF to CCS but clearly we know now they didn't anyway. They could have potentially sold many more 2020-2025 LEAFs with the CHAdeMO stigma lifted, or mitigated for a price. I agree with the price point too considering the parts cost, the engineering time, and the expected market. I didn't pull the trigger yet (and I am debating if the $80 increase for A2ZEV is worth it) but if it were at $600-$700 I wouldn't wait much longer. I don't really expect a price drop either.

Back