Grinding/Motor Noise from AC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafittome

When we turn on the AC, there is a motorized noise that sounds bad, almost a grinding noise. No problem with the fan, but AC now emits this noise, and we turn it off immediately. Any ideas?

If it is only the AC, then perhaps a compressor problem...

Leafittome said:
When we turn on the AC, there is a motorized noise that sounds bad, almost a grinding noise. No problem with the fan, but AC now emits this noise, and we turn it off immediately. Any ideas?

Sure sounds like something is stuck next to either the inside fan or the outside fan. I think I remember someone describing the same thing last year.

FairwoodRed said:
Sure sounds like something is stuck next to either the inside fan or the outside fan. I think I remember someone describing the same thing last year.

Some pinecone was stuck in the fan -- http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8364&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

after touting how quiet the LEAF was i was literally shocked today. being about 93F i decided "Damn the efficiency full A/C on" so had fan on high temp set to 75 and had to drop off something, so hopped out of the car while it was running and was surprised at how loud it was.

i shut off the A/C and it went back to its nearly silent hum so it was definitely that. basically the fan noise is louder on the outside of the car than it is on the inside

The condenser fan is definitely anything but quiet, yes!

DaveinOlyWA said:
i shut off the A/C and it went back to its nearly silent hum so it was definitely that. basically the fan noise is louder on the outside of the car than it is on the inside

The ActiveE owner community seems to have a bit of a fixation on the cooling fan. They refer to it as the fan fairy and compare its noise level to a landing helicopter. Several incidents have been reported, where the auxiliary battery was drained by the fan, and left the car immobilized.

The A/C cooling fan increases the noise of the car to about that of a typical ICE. It is significant only because the Leaf is so quiet otherwise, but it is not that bad. In addition, you will hear the compressor which can vary in speed and sounds about like one of those garage freezers. I would not characterize either noise as "grinding". Check for obstructions in the A/C fan (with the car off carefully spin both fans up front manually and make sure they do not stick--remember it technically can come on at anytime although I've never seen this happen). If that isn't it take it in to get the compressor checked.

I'm sorry to resurrect a dead post...

I've been trolling for quite some time and I thought I had something to ad to this conversation.

I just became the owner of a used 2011 SL and am loving it! However, it has a little issue with the A/C compressor I uploaded a video on YouTube is this the noise everyone was talking about?
Not normal right?!

http://youtu.be/-LNhQR1aOJY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tomorrowmatters said:

I've been trolling for quite some time and I thought I had something to ad to this conversation.

I just became the owner of a used 2011 SL and am loving it! However, it has a little issue with the A/C compressor I uploaded a video on YouTube is this the noise everyone was talking about?
Not normal right?!

Woooo Nelly, what is that sound. I hear a very small distant sound from ac but nothing like that or that loud. Have it looked at.

Ian B

Let us know the outcome for the next person please.

tomorrowmatters said:

Not normal right?!

definitely a problem you got there and its not going away on its own. how long have you had it? i know most used cars are sold "as is" but if you have had it less than 3 days, i think i would return it to the dealer and have them fix it. it sounds like the bearing is going out on the fan

I've had it for a few weeks. Bought it out of state so returning it isn't an option.

It came from Tempe Nissan so its still under the factory warranty according to my paperwork.

Later this week I'll have it at a dealer to get it worked on, among other things. I want to get the battery examined for its 1 year.

tomorrowmatters said:
I've had it for a few weeks. Bought it out of state so returning it isn't an option.

It came from Tempe Nissan so its still under the factory warranty according to my paperwork.

Later this week I'll have it at a dealer to get it worked on, among other things. I want to get the battery examined for its 1 year.

Since it came from AZ, I hope it has not lost too much battery capacity.

Gerry

Regardless of where you buy it, it is still under warranty (assuming it's less than 3yrs old and under 36k miles) and must be warranted by ANY Nissan dealership.

GerryAZ said:
tomorrowmatters said:

Since it came from AZ, I hope it has not lost too much battery capacity.

Gerry

Yes it has. I tried finding the previous owner on this forum...but no luck. Its missing two bars.
Today it will be at the dealer to get an inspection...I should ask them to do the battery test too

tomorrowmatters said:
Yes it has. I tried finding the previous owner on this forum...but no luck. Its missing two bars.
Ouch. I hope you were aware of what those missing bars indicated when you bought the car...

drees said:
tomorrowmatters said:
Ouch. I hope you were aware of what those missing bars indicated when you bought the car...

I shopped for the car online and didn't know to ask about the battery capacity. The dealer didn't "notice" it was missing the two bars until I was already on the road to pick it up.
As long as it doesn't lose another bar within the next 12 months it still meets my needs.

240v charging at point A and 120v charging at point B ensures I'll never be stranded.

I had that occur one summer and then it just suddenly went away. It would change pitch with fan speed which is key.

My theory is that a nut or something fell in there from the top of the car (i.e. air intakes at windshield) and was grinding against the fan until it finally broke apart. There is proof of this because every time I change the air filter I usually find some debris, bug parts, and dirt in the bottom of the filter chamber. Also mice seem to be attracted to the Leaf engine compartment and may carry crap up inside the vent shafts.

As for how to fix it (other than waiting it out) you can try taking the fan out as this one user did.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine sounds like AC compressor. But could be one of the 2 rad fans. I turned to run and turned on AC. Car has been sitting all night, but both rad fans came on. Noise came and went.

http://youtu.be/2zXg4A3l05U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a video. I dont think its the inside HVAC fan. But I can check. Maybe something in the rad fans.

Back