H&R Block refused to help me get EVSE tax credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevempotter

Can someone who has succeeded in getting the 30% tax credit for a home EVSE installation explain exactly what form they used? I was told by AFDC to use form 8911. Yet it says "do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9" and line 9 is about the Business/Investment Use Part of Credit. I am not a business and not investing anything here. So the H&R Block guy said that this form does not apply to me, and had no alternative to suggest :evil: . The instructions on the back of the 8911 clearly say there is a personal use credit, but that phrase on line 10 that says "do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9" seems to cancel that out, and prevented H&R Block from helping me file for the credit.

It is worth $714 (30% of my EVSE bill) for me to figure this out....

Thanks,
Steve

stevempotter said:
Can someone who has succeeded in getting the 30% tax credit for a home EVSE installation explain exactly what form they used? I was told by AFDC to use form 8911. Yet it says "do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9" and line 9 is about the Business/Investment Use Part of Credit. I am not a business and not investing anything here. So the H&R Block guy said that this form does not apply to me, and had no alternative to suggest :evil: . The instructions on the back of the 8911 clearly say there is a personal use credit, but that phrase on line 10 that says "do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9" seems to cancel that out, and prevented H&R Block from helping me file for the credit.

It is worth $714 (30% of my EVSE bill) for me to figure this out....
First, I sure hope you are not paying H&R Block for such poor advice.

Next, visit the site EdmondLeaf suggested. Also, there are several tax threads already open, and if you are taking the $7,500.00 tax credit for the purchase of a LEAF, then it is unlikely that you will get the EVSE credit. See the open threads.

Bill

stevempotter said:
Can someone who has succeeded in getting the 30% tax credit for a home EVSE installation explain exactly what form they used?
I have not filed my 2011 income tax return yet.

stevempotter said:
I was told by AFDC to use form 8911. Yet it says "do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9" and line 9 is about the Business/Investment Use Part of Credit.
Erm... that's not all it says. It says: "Subtract line 2 from line 1. If zero, stop here; do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9". IMO, the qualifier of "do not file this form..." only applies if the preceding phrase ("If zero, stop here") is true. The semi-colon is important. If you do not use the EVSE for "business" or "investment" purposes (i.e. Part II empty), then line 10 = line 1. Proceed to line 11. Pass "Go". Collect 30%.

Edit: in fact, the "do not use this form..." phrase appears in three places on Form 8911 (line 10, 16 and 18). They all qualify a preceding phrase of "subtract ... from ..." Clearly, each of them states what to do if and only if the subtraction's result is less than zero, not what to do in general.

I'd find a different H&R Block, a different tax preparer, or a tax accountant.

Disclaimer: this tax advice/opinion is worth what you paid for it.

aqn said:
I'd find a different H&R Block, a different tax preparer, or a tax accountant.
True, it's a sign of incompetence, but stevempotter is not going to get the credit from any reputable preparer if he bought (not leased) the LEAF last year. My guess is that the H&R Block computer calculations (correctly) said no, but the person he was working with latched on to the wrong reason for that.

It's a bitch, but the IRS rules are written so that the EVSE credit is an illusion for most of us.

Ray

Little strong on the wording there, isn't it?

There's a big difference between not understanding fully what a particular obscure tax law might be, and refusing to help you. The tax code is a massive thing, not surprising that some agent somewhere isn't up on some provision that applies to only a few thousand people.

LakeLeaf said:

Little strong on the wording there, isn't it?

There's a big difference between not understanding fully what a particular obscure tax law might be, and refusing to help you. The tax code is a massive thing, not surprising that some agent somewhere isn't up on some provision that applies to only a few thousand people.

he/she should fix that. I agree.

ebill3 said:
Next, visit the site EdmondLeaf suggested. Also, there are several tax threads already open, and if you are taking the $7,500.00 tax credit for the purchase of a LEAF, then it is unlikely that you will get the EVSE credit. See the open threads.

You also won't get it if you're subject to either TMT or AMT (one or the other...I forget which because I did mine for the EVSE last tax season).

Update from the one who started this thread: My H&R tax guy called me today to say that he was mistaken and WILL fill the 8911 and get me the EVSE installation credit. Thanks to you all for your explanations. It seems I did not have to use them on him.
I would not choose this guy again...He was definitely in a 'refusing' state of mind when I asked him to fill out the 8911 in person, and kept pointing to that confusing line 9 clause about business/investment. But he must have talked to someone or read up on it a bit since I left. I also verified with him that I am not in the AMT category, but that he will have to fill out the AMT form anyway.

I will say that H&R Block hasn't been particularly responsive to the LEAF community...not having appropriate forms for the EVSE credit last year nor for the car this year. I did point out to them that just shy of 10,000 LEAFs were sold last year, and it would be real interesting to know how many of those buyers use some kind of tax prep software and who would of, but didn't, use H&R Block because of this!

stevempotter said:
I also verified with him that I am not in the AMT category, but that he will have to fill out the AMT form anyway.
Oh, he hasn't filled out the AMT form yet? Guess what. When he does, he's going to have another unpleasant surprise for you. The issue is not whether you have to pay the AMT rate. The issue is whether the AMT tax without allowing for the $7,500 credit is still less than your normal tax after the $7,500 credit. I find it difficult to imagine any situation in which it would be.

I promise you, either (a) you won't get the EVSE credit if you bought a LEAF last year or, (b) if a shyster tax preparer gives it to you, the IRS is going to catch it, because they are going to know that 99.99% of those claims are bogus.

Ray

I did mine on TaxAct, and didn't quality for the EVSE credit (30%) due to AMT/whatever because of the EV Credit (full 7,500). I'm sure many are in a similar situation. Fortunately it was only 30% of the $800, so not too bad. I deducted more than that for donating all my clothes that no longer fit to the Salvation Army last year (cycling drops pounds like crazy).

PhatBoyG said:
I did mine on TaxAct, and didn't quality for the EVSE credit (30%) due to AMT/whatever because of the EV Credit (full 7,500). I'm sure many are in a similar situation. Fortunately it was only 30% of the $800, so not too bad. I deducted more than that for donating all my clothes that no longer fit to the Salvation Army last year (cycling drops pounds like crazy).
I like TaxAct. Mak sure that you watch this
Tuesday at 6p.m. Eyewitness News 5's Mat Garcia investigates the hidden dangers in Hybrid cars and emergency tips you should know even if you don't drive one.

Read more: http://www.koco.com/video/30422014/detail.html#ixzz1mJVFqFvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back