Help! They can't seem to fix my Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldEagle

My Leaf stopped working (wouldn't go into gear and all kinds of warning lights pop up when started) a week and a half ago. I posted here and tried a few of the tips but it still wouldn't work. Had it towed to the local Nissan dealer last Saturday and it's been there ever since (today is Friday). They have called a few times to tell me they're working with Nissan technicians but can't figure out what the problem is. We're coming up on a week here and I'm starting to get pissed off. I'm leasing the Leaf (24 months), have had it for just over a month, and it has 700 miles or so. I loved the Leaf prior to this happening, but not so much now. I appreciate that the technology is relatively new, but a new car should not break down with less than 1000 miles. And if it does, I would hope that the people who sold it could fix it in a timely manner. They seem utterly clueless. Can anyone give me advice on next steps if this keeps dragging out? I see no end in sight and I'm not too excited to be paying for a car that I can't use (not to mention the insurance, personal property tax, and the fact that I'm putting miles on our other car and paying for gas - which is why I got the Leaf in the first place!). Can I end the lease? Can I demand a new car?

Anyway, at what point do I elevate this to someone above the shop at the dealership? And who would I contact? The dealer that set up the lease? Nissan? Auggghhhhhh....

BaldEagle said:
My Leaf stopped working (wouldn't go into gear and all kinds of warning lights pop up when started) a week and a half ago. I posted here and tried a few of the tips but it still wouldn't work. Had it towed to the local Nissan dealer last Saturday and it's been there ever since (today is Friday). They have called a few times to tell me they're working with Nissan technicians but can't figure out what the problem is. We're coming up on a week here and I'm starting to get pissed off. I'm leasing the Leaf (24 months), have had it for just over a month, and it has 700 miles or so. I loved the Leaf prior to this happening, but not so much now. I appreciate that the technology is relatively new, but a new car should not break down with less than 1000 miles. And if it does, I would hope that the people who sold it could fix it in a timely manner. They seem utterly clueless. Can anyone give me advice on next steps if this keeps dragging out? I see no end in sight and I'm not too excited to be paying for a car that I can't use (not to mention the insurance, personal property tax, and the fact that I'm putting miles on our other car and paying for gas - which is why I got the Leaf in the first place!). Can I end the lease? Can I demand a new car?

Anyway, at what point do I elevate this to someone above the shop at the dealership? And who would I contact? The dealer that set up the lease? Nissan? Auggghhhhhh....

Location?

Virginia Lemon Law:

"If you have tried unsuccessfully to have your new vehicle (purchased in Virginia) repaired three or more times for the same problem, or the vehicle has been out of service for more than thirty days in one year, your vehicle may be classified as a lemon under the Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act.

If you think your vehicle is a lemon, contact the Office of Consumer Affairs before filing a claim under this Act. All claims must be filed within 18 months following the date you first received the vehicle."

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/lemonlaw.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good to know. I'm just hoping they'll fix the thing so I can get back out on the road with my XM, driving past all the gas stations.

We have 2 other cars for my wife and me to commute to and from work and get around town and kid carpools (Odyssey and Cube), so we don't really need a loaner. They did offer one though. The Leaf was ideal for the commute (we have charging stations in our garage) and the Odyssey is new and loves gas (20 MPG), so we wanted to 1) keep the miles down on the Odyssey and 2) not shell out for gas so much.

I hope they get it fixed for you but it sound hauntingly like saintyohann's predicament.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Call Nissan's Consumer Affairs (complaint) department.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003
Phone: (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Monday through Friday:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, (in each time zone)

and/or the EV hotline.

EV Customer Support Team

Phone: (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738)

Monday through Friday:
7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Central Time

Saturday:
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Central Time

I just copied the info from the NissanUSA.com website. I hope they can help you out.

Thanks for the information on who to contact. The dealer called and they still haven't figured it out. They're doing more testing on Monday and Tuesday. I'll let y'all know what happens. Maybe I'll just get a Hummer instead.

BaldEagle said:
Thanks for the information on who to contact. The dealer called and they still haven't figured it out. They're doing more testing on Monday and Tuesday. I'll let y'all know what happens. Maybe I'll just get a Hummer instead.
Yes, but Hummer = Dinosaur... both are extinct.

Just a little humor about the Hummer. Not a fan of those or people who drive them, generally. I love my Leaf - I just wish it would work.

Sorry I can't help w your LEAF, just want to add that someone smarter than me should get these stories right to Carlos Gosen or Brendan Jones or?? Those guys are sharp enough to know that one horror story can outweigh a thousand glowing testimonials in the minds of a skeptical public they are trying to win over. Who knows? Maybe it would help you directly.
It's actually unfortunate our EVs are sold at & serviced by car dealerships because they are, well, car dealerships. Elon Musk said, defending Tesla in a lawsuit brought by Massachusetts car dealers (& NY?), that pointing out the benefits of electric driving creates a fundamental conflict of interest w their established business selling ICE terrorism-fueled earth-killing junk. Yeah I'm paraphrasing, ok I made that last part up. Point is Tesla will sell & service their own stuff. Btw, I have read a few Tesla horror stories already.
Clark Howard said, with regard to the purchase of his own LEAF, "sometimes the pioneers get slaughtered." Without them though, there would be no settlers. We need settlers. ML

In regards to being a pioneer, I think I'd be better off in a covered wagon at this point. The Leaf is still not fixed (2+ weeks and counting) and they're going to put in a new breaker box next week. I get the impression that they're calling Nissan in Japan to get advice. I called the place I leased it from (40 miles away, so I didn't tow it there) and they seemed a bit more clued in. At this point I'm thinking that the real issue here is that they (Nissan) don't have people who can fix the Leaf when they break. I think there should be at least a "Regional Expert" that could be called to troubleshoot problems. My worry is that they're going to cause more problems than they'll fix. I'll say it again, I love the Leaf, but this sucks. A waste of my time and money and no end in sight.

BaldEagle said:
In regards to being a pioneer, I think I'd be better off in a covered wagon at this point. The Leaf is still not fixed (2+ weeks and counting) and they're going to put in a new breaker box next week. I get the impression that they're calling Nissan in Japan to get advice. I called the place I leased it from (40 miles away, so I didn't tow it there) and they seemed a bit more clued in. At this point I'm thinking that the real issue here is that they (Nissan) don't have people who can fix the Leaf when they break. I think there should be at least a "Regional Expert" that could be called to troubleshoot problems. My worry is that they're going to cause more problems than they'll fix. I'll say it again, I love the Leaf, but this sucks. A waste of my time and money and no end in sight.

Research lemon law in your state in case it goes on longer than 30 days.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
BaldEagle said:

Research lemon law in your state in case it goes on longer than 30 days.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Ian B

And maybe mention the words "Lemon Law" during your next conversation with the dealership. I'm sure they know the deadline, they may be hoping that you do not.

Back