How do I take it home...Redwood City to Fresno

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a Mod-L1 EVSE before your car arrives:
(last I looked, these were Phil's ordering options.)

1. Order a complete Mod-L1 and end up with that AND the L1-EVSE that comes with the car.

Pay $699 + $20 shipping (and perhaps $25 additional for his 120v adapter cord).

NOTE: You still need to buy (or make) any 240v adapters that you would need.

2. In addition to #1, send in the "original" L1-EVSE and get it modified, ending up (assuming you did #1) with TWO Mod-L1 EVSEs.

This gives you one for the car and one for the garage, and an immediate spare if ever needed.

Ship your L1-EVSE to him for about $20, then pay $199, plus $20 for return shipping.

3. Post-Mod exchange: For an extra $50, you can basically do #1, then send (use his packaging) your "new" L1-EVSE (complete with case) to Phil to get your $500 "deposit" back.

-------------
I just did #1, and plan to do #2 soon. I now have 9 adapters, which should cover many/most situations where I am allowed to access a 120v or 240v socket.

However, there are some industrial sockets (mostly twist-lock) for which I do not yet have an adapter.

Have you thought of going out I580 to the valley and then down 99 to Fresno? The Altamont is an easier climb and if you want, you can go the old road through the pass so there is hardly any climb at all. Then stop at Tracy Nissan and/or Modesto Nissan if you need to. It is a little farther but might be easier then climbing the Pacheco Pass. I tow alot and that climb going east on 152 is steep.

nader said:
Cool. Thanks Randy. It looks like I'll be starting early in the morning then stopping in Gilroy and then Los Banosmat the KOA. Now I have to convince Ingineer to sell me a modified EVSE before the car arrives!
You would need to start with a full charge and charge for 8 to 10 hours.

;) I love the spirit of adventure that flows through this thread. That said, it may be better to get the roll back, to get the car home without any stress, and to let the adventures start from home base.

@Gary: I tried ordering an EVSE from Ingineer but he said that I needed to have possession of the car first. I already have a Quick220 and a bunch of adapters ready to go. I just need Ingineers pigtails to finish making the adapters. Do you have any pull? ;-)

The 580 route through Altamont might not be a bad idea. There are Nissan dealers along the 580/99 route back to Fresno. I know Razzari in Merced recently became Leaf authorized.
What's this old route through Altamont Pass you speak of? That would be great.

Since I'll be getting a ride to Boardwalk we might as well take a truck and spend 30 bux to rent a Uhaul car dolly for the day...just in case. ;-)

The road is call Altamont Pass Road. It runs parallel to 580 on the northside. It is the a part of the old "Lincoln Highway" If you google map for directions between Livermore and Tracy and option avoid highways it will show you the route. It is easy to find, just follow the Railroad tracks as they use the same route to avoid the hills through the pass. Good luck.

If you are going down the 580 towards Livermore, I live in Pleasanton, and depending on the timing, you're welcome to stop for some electrons. Another idea is that I can send my L1 to get the upgrade and you can simply pay for it when you swing by and give me the one in your trunk. :D

nader said:
I need help figuring out the fastest way to get from Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City to Fresno. Google Maps is telling me 163 miles door-to-door. Since there are no DC quick charge stations near the route...

We definitely need a network of strategically placed DC charging stations in order to make distance driving more feasible.

Thoughts?

Looks like you've worked all the possibilities, as I have for my 215 to 245 mile drive (or flatbed?) home.

As long as we're stuck with L2, there is no way to drive a LEAF, or any other BEV, very far in a day.

And the law of L2 range, the slower you drive, the faster you'll get there, will always apply.

Starting full, driving morning about 75-80 miles, one long (6-8 hour) L2 recharge to 100% at a "lunch spot", then drive another 75-80 miles in the evening, before doing an overnight. So, about 150-160 miles per day is possible if a suitable lunch/recharge spot can be found.

Good luck, should be a great adventure.

Driving a bit slowly, the 163 might be possible, perhaps needing another 2-hour charge after the evening drive to get the last bit home.

I agree Gary that it would seem possible on regular L2. OP needs to be able to make a Nissan Dealer within 80 to 90 miles of home on the first leg and let the Leaf charge to 100%. Or just charge until the dealer closes and if a little short call Nissan for a lift home or get a motel. Might need to sweat it out at 50 or 55 max on the roadway. Very early start and flexibility is key.

How about this? I cut the mileage to 178 miles total and eliminated all freeway driving expect for the last leg from Merced to Fresno. Basically broken up into 3 equal legs with dealers at each stop. I figure I would need to get to the dealer as earlier as possible in order to make it back to Fresno by nightfall. Anyone interested in a DC quick charge co-op?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....65447,-121.112595&spn=0.466429,1.055374&z=11

Why is it so hard to add a hyperlink to a word on this forum?

That looks like a good route. This route keeps your trip to the minimal as far as elevation extremes, and you have dealers along the way to help out. Good luck.

nader said:

That works, but both legs with stops at a dealership are going to take nearly the entire pack, and beyond if you are not careful to drive slowly. That means 8 hours to recharge at each dealership. It's not likely possible to do unless the Merced charging stations are available after hours. If you leave Redwood city at 9am you'll get to Tracy at 11am. You'll leave at 7 pm to arrive in Merced at 9pm. It will be done in Merced at 5am to arrive home at 6:30am.

Just yesterday, on a lark, I bypassed the Sunol grade coming south on 680 and drove Niles Canyon (84 east of Fremont) for the the first time in years. It's still as pretty as I remembered it, but there sure are a lot of traffic signals between the Dumbarton Bridge and the pretty part.

Ray

if it is not too late
go to evchargernews.com
use the Gilroy Costco charger with a converter
then there is a RV park in Madera
should get you home
e

palmermd said:
That means 8 hours to recharge at each dealership.
I would think 8 hours at each of both stops is a rather high estimate.
I would just charge to 10 miles over the next destination distance and roll out... slowly.
Should be much less than 8 hours. Backup plan is the tow service.

Back