How do you get the Ecotality EV project home charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got into the project by answering a survey on the Nissan website on 4/20/10 when I put down the $99 deposit. I live in San Diego, though, and the project is only accepting people from certain areas. What is your location?

I'm in Bay Area. They just anounced some government money injection that will provide 1,500 home chargers in the Bay area. No idea how people can apply for that. Now that I've put in the order already, any other possibilities for this?

I just signed up again as well. So far it's mainly a newsletter list to me. But it's as close as it can get for the moment.

zhengst said:
I just signed up again as well. So far it's mainly a newsletter list to me. But it's as close as it can get for the moment.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2601

This thread has more specifics on who/what/where/when for the SF EVP program.

zhengst said:

I signed up again as well. Got a kick out of the thank you page that states:

Thank you. Your information has been submitted to The EV Project.

To participate in the program, you must first purchase a Nissan LEAF. To receive priority for the Nissan LEAF, we suggest you sign up for the LEAF at the Nissan USA site.

Well, just so happens I have one in my garage right now!! ;)

Got some answers to my questions through their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/ecotality/posts/175815569128030

Quote below:

We're currently rolling out the project with Nissan, but also working out details and agreements with other auto manufacturers to bring more EVs to the Bay Area. We want to extend these benefits to as many residents as possible.

Nissan will ...be sending out an email to those that have ordered the Nissan LEAF and are already part of the LEAF Customer Journey. The email will have directions to The EV Project survey/questionnaire. From there, the responses will be reviewed and some residents will automatically qualify, others will be contacted if additional information is needed to determine whether or not they qualify. However, there are several stages of the journey and you should receive correspondence from Nissan, with directions that apply to the stage you are in. If you aren't already part of the LEAF Customer Journey, you can sign up from their website: http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/login/auth.

Additionally, if you haven't ordered a Nissan LEAF, or have another EV, the next best course of action is to go to The EV Project website (www.theevproject.com), go to the sign up page (http://www.theevproject.com/sign-up.php) and fill out the form. This will keep you up to date on EV Project developments.

Hope that answers your questions! :)

How do you qualify for this program? I'm assuming your LEAF should be SL w/ QC, own a home with a dedicated garage capable of 220V, etc, commute with a max of xx miles. What else? Can someone in San Diego side fill us in? :mrgreen: Thanks!

Not that I would answer dishonestly or anything, but....

I too am interested in hearing about which answers constitute a "winning" survey. The "Do you have a garage" stuff is obvious, but are they looking for anything else, specifically? Certain car usage patterns? Long commutes? Short commutes?

If this is indeed a study, you'd think they'd want to be fairly "blind" while picking participants, instead of cherry picking them up front. Perhaps even a random lottery?

I am no expert on what Ecotality is looking for in participants. It appears to me that they have a great deal of lexibility on their requirements. A garage attached to the house or close enough where a wifi connection exists. They seem to like commutes or trips amounting to 30 t0 70 miles or more perday. They do not want you if you do not drive much a month. Less than 600 to 700 a month might be a deal breaker. You need 2 empty slots in your electrical panel. However, If your electrical needs updating or additional slots added, It appears that they will pick up about $1,200 in installation costs and you have to agree to pay for the rest.

trentr said:
How do you qualify for this program? I'm assuming your LEAF should be SL w/ QC, own a home with a dedicated garage capable of 220V, etc, commute with a max of xx miles. What else? Can someone in San Diego side fill us in? :mrgreen: Thanks!

I don't think anyone knows precisely what their criteria were. For sure, you had to be in a certain zip code. From there, it is anyone's guess what the "absolutely no" criteria were. I think we know for sure that if you are a renter, that is a no. Otherwise, if you meet the first cut then you will get a home assessment to look at the other factors such as panel, garage, etc. We were initially not fully approved for the project because they needed to do a home assessment. The EVSE does not have to be installed in the garage. Our garage is used for storage. Our cars sit the in the driveway in the back yard. The Blink will be installed outside on the back wall of the house near the electrical panel. Our house is a little stucco house built in 1940. We rewired the house and installed a new panel about 20 years ago. We had space in our panel for the breaker for the EVSE. We are approved and eagerly awaiting the installation of our Blink.

stanley said:
I am no expert on what Ecotality is looking for in participants. It appears to me that they have a great deal of lexibility on their requirements. A garage attached to the house or close enough where a wifi connection exists. They seem to like commutes or trips amounting to 30 t0 70 miles or more perday. They do not want you if you do not drive much a month. Less than 600 to 700 a month might be a deal breaker. You need 2 empty slots in your electrical panel. However, If your electrical needs updating or additional slots added, It appears that they will pick up about $1,200 in installation costs and you have to agree to pay for the rest.
Thanks for the info. My garage install should be pretty trivial, but that mileage requirement might be a deal breaker. My commute is only 15 miles round trip, so about 300 miles a month, not counting non-commute trips which are fairly rare.

Oh well, I'm off to complete the survey thingie from my dashboard. Wish me luck!

[EDIT] Done with the survey. Word to the wise, do it at home, not at work! I had to call my wife and have her examine our breaker panel so I could answer one of the questions. I was able to (truthfully) answer the yearly mileage question right in the middle of the range of possible choices, so I'm hoping that will be acceptable to them.

Back