How long it takes to fully charge 13SV if using home 110V .

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshleaf

What time people are getting to Fully charge a 13SV with an 110V 16A outlet in the garage.??
Is the Time better then 12SV..??

Thinking to upgrade my EVSE to support 220V 30A..?
I read it here it takes 3-4 hr if one use 220V 30A...

There is no 135V in the US, only 120V. If you have your unit upgraded the charge time on 120V is the saem but on 240V it would be on average 3-4 hours on a 2013 with the faster charger and about 5-7 on a 2011-2013 with the standard 3.3kw charger.

120 Volt charging is limited to 12 Amps in all LEAF models, so far as I've seen. The reason for this is that most people in the USA/Canada only have access to 15 Amp 120 Volt outlets. A continuous load of 12 Amps (80% of circuit rating) is all that is allowed by code. (Even that may be a problem in houses with older substandard outlets or wiring.) This 12 Amp limit when charging at 120 Volts is controlled by the LEAF on-board charger (OBC) and has nothing to do with how much current the EVSE can supply.

As for how long it takes, charging on 120 Volts is about 75% efficient (haven't heard any reports that it is different on the 2013 models). So, a draw of 120 Volts, 12 Amps is 1.44 kW. 75% of that is about 1.1 kW going to the battery. How long it takes to charge depends on how much charge you need (of course). Bear in mind that charging slows above about 90% so if you charge to 100% it will take a bit longer than you might calculate from the 1.1 kW charging speed above.

However you calculate it, charging at Level 1 (120 Volts, 12 Amps) is slow.

Isnt 13SV/SL comes with the 6.6kw charger as standard, think S has option to go 6.6kw.

So if my battery is fully drained like 1% and if I am using 120V 12A with 6.6kw charger how long that going to be, 11-12 hrs or 20-21hrs.

My SV dont have QC option but I believe thats for L3 charging. I am good with L1 or L2 at 6.6kw charger.

On 120 volts it makes no difference what charger or model year you have. The 120 volt, 12 amp draw is the limiting factor and thus they will all charge at about the same rate.

freshleaf said:
Isnt 13SV/SL comes with the 6.6kw charger as standard, think S has option to go 6.6kw.

freshleaf said:
So if my battery is fully drained like 1% and if I am using 120V 12A with 6.6kw charger how long that going to be, 11-12 hrs or 20-21hrs.
20-21 hours. Some new LEAFs will take 25 or more hours to fully charge on Level 1.

I guess then I be ordering the 220 upgrade from EVSEupgrade.
I was thinking that 6.6 cut the time in half from 22 to 11. looks like not.

freshleaf said:
The EVSEupgrade unit is an excellent way to go. I highly recommend it!

RegGuheert said:
freshleaf said:
The EVSEupgrade unit is an excellent way to go. I highly recommend it!

So what are better options out their, convert my Cable to 220V or buy a New one. I dont want to spend too much on 220V charging 500-700 for a New unit is OK.
Plus I have to run a 220V line to my garage also with 30A circuit..

freshleaf said:
It can't, it only cuts the time when charging at 208+ volts and w/an EVSE that has a high enough output. See http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
freshleaf said:
It can't, it only cuts the time when charging at 208+ volts and w/an EVSE that has a high enough output. See http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Good Link with info about Time to charge on on 120V or 220V.

EVSEupgrade has 5kW for 220V using 20A.
Power output: programmable from 6 to 16 amps on 100-167 volts* (600w-2.5kW)
programmable from 6 to 20 amps on 168-250 volts (2kW-5kW)

Clipper Creek has LCS-25:
Power Consumption 4.8 kW (240 Volts / 20 amps continuous)

So which one is better ?? only difference I can see is that one can go upto 5kW and the other upto 4.8kW.

freshleaf said:
EVSEupgrade has 5kW for 220V using 20A.
Power output: programmable from 6 to 16 amps on 100-167 volts* (600w-2.5kW)
programmable from 6 to 20 amps on 168-250 volts (2kW-5kW)

Clipper Creek has LCS-25:
Power Consumption 4.8 kW (240 Volts / 20 amps continuous)

So which one is better ?? only difference I can see is that one can go upto 5kW and the other upto 4.8kW.
The only difference in maximum rate is the the voltage used to calculate the rate. (240v vs. 250v.) Since you can't control the voltage at your home, you would get the same maximum performance from both.

The real reason the EVSEupgrade is better is because it is more flexible. Not only can you turn down the amps if needed for a weak supply, but it automatically switches between L1 and L2 depending on what you plug into, and uses a locking connector for best pluggable connection at the wall end. (The LCS25 is designed to be hardwired.) Take that one EVSE with appropriate adapters on the road and you can plug in to anything from a 120v shopping center outlet, to a friend's 30A dryer outlet, to a 50A RV campground outlet or welding outlet, or whatever. (Well, there are exceptions. You can't use a Tesla supercharger or one of the old 1990's paddles!)

And by the way, in case the other posts haven't nailed this down, even the EVSEupgrade will not speed up charging at 120v. As a rule of thumb, I figure you get 1kWh usable out of the battery for every hour you plug in. All EVSEs, all in-car chargers, it doesn't matter. <-- Oops! Ingineer says that is wrong for 2013 LEAF with 6 kW charger. Since he knows about 10**10 more about this than I do, believe him, not me.

Ray

I think I will order the EVSEupgrade then. Will ask for to send the unit first then I can send them mine. I cant live without the Cable for more then 1 day.

freshleaf said:
I cant live without the Cable for more then 1 day.
If you can find someone with an EV nearby you might be able to borrow their portable EVSE for a couple of weeks while you have yours upgraded. (I have two of the upgraded units and loaned one to my Nissan LEAF mechanic while he sent his away for the upgrade.)

2013 LEAFs with 6kW chargers can charge at up to around 25A on 120v if the EVSE permits it. Problem is that it's almost impossible to find a 120V outlet in a residence that can output over 16A continuous, and 16A at 120V is only 1.92kW, so it's only a little faster.

If you are going to have an outlet installed, it's much more advantageous to have a 240V put in, as you'll be able to charge way faster than you can on 120V.

We can program any of our upgraded 2013 EVSEs to allow faster charging on 120V, but we limit them to 12A. This is due to the greatly increased risk of fire if it's used on an improper circuit.

We will soon have special 120V adapters with 20A plugs, and if you order one of these and agree to only use them on properly checked circuits, we can program your unit to 16A. If you already have a 2013 upgrade, we can remotely program your unit for the higher amperage so you don't need to send it in.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
2013 LEAFs with 6kW chargers can charge at up to around 25A on 120v if the EVSE permits it. Problem is that it's almost impossible to find a 120V outlet in a residence that can output over 16A continuous, and 16A at 120V is only 1.92kW, so it's only a little faster.

If you are going to have an outlet installed, it's much more advantageous to have a 240V put in, as you'll be able to charge way faster than you can on 120V.

We can program any of our upgraded 2013 EVSEs to allow faster charging on 120V, but we limit them to 12A. This is due to the greatly increased risk of fire if it's used on an improper circuit.

We will soon have special 120V adapters with 20A plugs, and if you order one of these and agree to only use them on properly checked circuits, we can program your unit to 16A. If you already have a 2013 upgrade, we can remotely program your unit for the higher amperage so you don't need to send it in.

-Phil

so a 6kw 2013 leaf could, with the correct EVSE, actually take full advantage of a 30A 120v campground connection? cool (but not a widely useful fact).

Ingineer said:
-Phil
Interesting so you could utilize a 30TT campground outlet if there was a way to configure it.

Order mine today from EVSEupgrade.com and its on the way now. great service and fast response.

Got my LEAF today, Dealer charge it to Full, GOM says 87 mile range on ECO and 82 on without ECO.
Drove City street with 90% ECO and 50% on B, total distance drove 14 miles, but when pulled into my Driveway the GOM saying 79.. :cool:
looks like I gain some mileage ...

freshleaf said:
Order mine today from EVSEupgrade.com and its on the way now. great service and fast response.

Got my LEAF today, Dealer charge it to Full, GOM says 87 mile range on ECO and 82 on without ECO.
Drove City street with 90% ECO and 50% on B, total distance drove 14 miles, but when pulled into my Driveway the GOM saying 79.. :cool:
looks like I gain some mileage ...
Congrats! Enjoy your new LEAF!

Back