How long will ICE cars be on the road?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@DaveinOlyWA: I don't think it's price anymore; since 2013 the Leaf has been extremely cost-effective, whether as lease, new or used. I think it's availability - the Leaf for example still doesn't have equivalent-class nationwide competition in the US, in its 5th model-year! - and awareness.

@johnrhansen: it is estimated that if driving habits persist and everyone goes electric, EVs will make up some 20-30% of household electric demand. That's why we do need to change driving habits (esp. single-occupancy commute, which is unsustainable regardless of vehicle type). On the plus side, massive adoption of EVs coupled with vehicle-to-grid systems, means we can make renewable sources match overall demand, with less installed capacity by using distributed short-term storage in EV batteries.

Assaf said:
@DaveinOlyWA: I don't think it's price anymore; since 2013 the Leaf has been extremely cost-effective, whether as lease, new or used. I think it's availability - the Leaf for example still doesn't have equivalent-class nationwide competition in the US, in its 5th model-year! - and awareness.

@johnrhansen: it is estimated that if driving habits persist and everyone goes electric, EVs will make up some 20-30% of household electric demand. That's why we do need to change driving habits (esp. single-occupancy commute, which is unsustainable regardless of vehicle type). On the plus side, massive adoption of EVs coupled with vehicle-to-grid systems, means we can make renewable sources match overall demand, with less installed capacity by using distributed short-term storage in EV batteries.

it IS price. Take $5,000 off retail of the LEAF and it will double sales. the battery replacement cost will alter the used LEAF landscape in one way or another and it will mean higher demand, higher prices, etc.

higher used car values means more new cars sold. the dealer will have more incentive to deal. there are few I talk to who have gone beyond the very initial work of determining the financial benefits of owning an EV primarily because most stop at the sticker price

Back