How many bars have you created

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPowers

For the leaf owners that do lots of mountain driving.

How many, of the twelve battery bars, can you regen when driving down a mountain, of say 8 thousand feet down to a normal altitude of say 1500 feet?

I've gained about 2 bars. The nice thing about driving up into the mountains is even if you get almost to empty you are practically guaranteed to make it all the way back down and then several more miles on the flat land thanks to regenerative braking. (Just don't let it get to turtle mode though!) The negative counterpart to this is, you'll eat up your energy very rapidly on the climb to make up for this. See my trip report here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnr said:
I've gained about 2 bars. The nice thing about driving up into the mountains is even if you get almost to empty you are practically guaranteed to make it all the way back down and then several more miles on the flat land thanks to regenerative braking. (Just don't let it get to turtle mode though!) The negative counterpart to this is, you'll eat up your energy very rapidly on the climb to make up for this. See my trip report here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What was the altitude change for 2 bars?

The most I've gained, if the battery pack is warm enough and I drive slowly to maximize regen, is three bars on our 5000 foot descent down to the San Bernardino Valley. That's not three full bars, mind you. One time I think I started with six mostly-full bars and ended up with barely nine bars.

Coming down Mt. Hamilton road near San Jose generates 3 bars for me - a 4000 foot change in elevation with many hairpin turns.

Wow. Those are some crazy figures. I couldn't imagine doing that in Texas. Watching the meter go UP instead of down?! Only in a Leaf :cool:

Back