How many Leafs have been delivered?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desertstraw

Today is Christmas, how many have been delivered nationally? How many more will be delivered by New Year?

At the beginning of this year based on the information then available, I expected to be driving a Leaf this month at the latest. Now the best I can hope for is next May. At some point Nissan's first entry into the electric car market may come to be more symbolic than real.

Exactly six cars have been delivered in North America. (Not counting Lance's loaner pre-prod car.)

The race is just beginning, but I have to hand the first round to Chevy for 2010. I don't want a Volt for myself, but man, they stomped Nissan in "pre-customer" relations.
Over 300 cars in driveways for Christmas, and most of the pre-orders know exactly where their car is. GM techs participate in the forums, and their dealers are more informed.
I'd have more respect for GM if they correctly proclaimed "First plug-in hybrid". But they did put them on the road and shipping in volume. I have to give them props for that.

Fisker just bumped up their price and delayed (again), so I'm not complaining too loudly about Nissan's confusing and slow rollout. :p

GroundLoop said:
Over 300 cars in driveways for Christmas, and most of the pre-orders know exactly where their car is.
I'm surprised though that for a product that supposedly has 300 cars in driveways that there isn't more buzz. Personally I haven't found anybody here in Portland yet with a Volt. The 300 number seems to be suspect...

FYI:

Chevrolet started rolling the first Volts off the assembly line and onto car haulers on Dec. 13,
sending them off to anxious customers who have been waiting months for their electric car,
or advanced hybrid or whatever you like to call the Volt. That same day, Nissan delivered its
first Leaf electric car to a customer in San Diego. Normally, handing over the keys of a new
model’s first buyer is about as scintillating as ribbon-cutting ceremonies photographed in
community newspapers.

In this case, the first deliveries kicked off a closely-watched sales race that will begin to answer
some big questions about fuel-efficient technology and what consumers really want. General
Motors has argued that the Volt is the way to go. You’ll never get stranded in a car that
recharges the battery using a gasoline engine. Nissan differs, of course. As long as there’s a
tailpipe, it’s not the genuine green article. As an aside, Toyota’s Prius is no longer in the
conversation. Unless the Leaf and Volt end up with major quality or performance problems,
Toyota has dithered away its position as the unquestioned technology kingpin.

Which car will win? The Leaf is the cheaper option, costing almost $33,000 before federal tax
incentives, compared with $41,000 for the Volt. But I think the Volt is a better proposition for
most consumers...

YMMV :mrgreen:

From: http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2010/12/chevy_volt_versus_nissan_leaf_let_the_race_begin.html

Well, depending on how you interpret the article, it IS right. The first San Diego delivery did take place on December 13. The article doesn't specifically say it was the first ever Leaf delivery...

garygid said:
First LEAF on 11 Dec, not 13th, and San Francisco area, not San Diego area. The 2nd delivery was on the 13th.

Were any Leafs delivered this week or are we still between 6 and 10 for 2010? Or is this my answer, AP 12/31, "Nissan's sales totaled less than 10 Leaf sedans in the past two weeks"?

10? We're between 6, and 6 deliveries for 2010. All fanfare, no follow-through.

(Intel has it that 52 more are parked in Long Beach for some unknown reason.)

I ordered and confirmed my LEAF order on 31 August; my LEAF dashboard still says "delivery in February 2011." I ordered my Volt about two weeks AFTER orders opened for that car, since it took me that long to find an "honest and nongouging Chevy dealer" who would take a Volt order at MSRP. I am completely in the dark as to what is happening with my LEAF order, other than the shifting from originally "December delivery" to now February, but for those of you who don't follow the Volt ordering process, here is what I "know" about my Volt order:

08/05/2010 - (1102) Order Entered via Web
08/05/2010 - (1100) Order Placed at Dealership Order passed GM edit tables but dealers has not received allocation to place order
08/23/2010 - (2030) Order edited or modified
09/20/2010 - (2030) Order edited or modified
09/24/2010 - (2030) Order edited or modified
10/19/2010 - (2030) Order edited or modified
11/11/2010 - (2000) Order Accepted by GM Dealer used allocation to place order into production
11/16/2010 - (2500) Order Preferenced Order pulled to the production system
11/16/2010 - (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
11/30/2010 - (3100) Order available to sequence.
11/30/2010 - (1102) Order Entered via Web
11/30/2010 - (3300) Order Scheduled for Production Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle
11/30/2010 - (3400) Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Paperwork Order Produced) Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together
12/21/2010 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. (Cadillac, GMC and Buick customers please contact your dealer or customer service for further updates. No further updates available at this time.)
12/28/2010 - (4000) Vehicle available to ship
12/28/2010 - (4104) Bailment Invoice Created (vehicle is about to leave plant property).
12/28/2010 - (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by Truck, Rail or transfer to vendor
12/29/2010 - (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by Truck, Rail or transfer to vendor
12/29/2010 - (4200) Shipped (Vehicle is shipped to the dealer or point of delivery)
12/30/2010 - (4106) Bailment Released (vehicle has left plant property).
12/30/2010 - (4150) Invoiced (Order is invoiced to the dealer)
12/30/2010 - (4200) Shipped (Vehicle is shipped to the dealer or point of delivery)
12/29/2010 - (4300) Interm transfer; processing transfer to QC or vendor

Some of the sequence numbers are out of order, according to the Volt forum, because they are entered by different locations at times of their convenience...But the Volt post-order process is TOTALLY transparent. I now anticipate my Volt will arrive at my selling dealership towards NEXT weekend. Every Volt confirmed order customer has been able to follow the production and delivery of their cars since day 1. All the early orders could even track their cars on rail and truck carriers daily, but that has been suspended because it was "too much hassle" for those transporters. By the way, my Volt is #679 off the production line....Chevrolet has already delivered about 400 of the Volt model to actual customers, and on this MONDAY, I am getting my garage chargepoint installed free courtesy of the regional DOE program for the Volt in the Sacramento area.

GroundLoop said:
Exactly six cars have been delivered in North America. (Not counting Lance's loaner pre-prod car.)

The race is just beginning, but I have to hand the first round to Chevy for 2010. I don't want a Volt for myself, but man, they stomped Nissan in "pre-customer" relations.
Over 300 cars in driveways for Christmas, and most of the pre-orders know exactly where their car is. GM techs participate in the forums, and their dealers are more informed.
I'd have more respect for GM if they correctly proclaimed "First plug-in hybrid". But they did put them on the road and shipping in volume. I have to give them props for that.

Fisker just bumped up their price and delayed (again), so I'm not complaining too loudly about Nissan's confusing and slow rollout. :p

At least our "new" technology cars are not named 787's and are being built by a company with the name Boeing! If so we wouldn't see them until 2113 and Gudy's Leaf and the other five first Leafs (Leaves?) parked next to the factory waiting to have hunderds of items fixed.

Bud said:
GroundLoop said:

At least our "new" technology cars are not named 787's and are being built by a company with the name Boeing! If so we wouldn't see them until 2113 and Gudy's Leaf and the other five first Leafs (Leaves?) parked next to the factory waiting to have hunderds of items fixed.

I'll reserve my opinion on how bad Nissan bungled the communication related to the LEAF roll out until April 2011. If by then they're still singing the same BS tune and sending out stickers and wrong T shirts instead of providing transparent communications (like GM for the Volt), they will definitely rival Boeing for incompetence.

I'd love to be able to follow my car in the sequence of events like this... that would make the waiting kind of cool. The biggest gap in those dates was three weeks from internal plant paperwork to car completion.... pretty, pretty, pretty good!

its great to see that information being broken down like that, but not sure how that would make me feel any better.

there is no "checklist?" or am i wrong. i see the steps completed, but what other steps are there? what is the expected timeframe between steps?

i could set up my own Leaf checklist as well, but i would be where you are. only knowing the timing of the last step with no clue as to when the next step happens

Dec ?? Leaf VIN # 258 (car) loaded inJapan
Dec 20 car unloaded at Long Beach
Dec 28? car finished final inspection
Dec 29 car loaded for truck transport to dealer
???
???

now that you have a step by step progress on your Volt, when will you take it home? do you have any concrete date for that?? i kinda wonder since if i were you and posting what you had posted, i would be definitely announcing that date. you are not, so i am guessing you are in the same boat i am knowing nothing but that your car's delivery is "PENDING"

getting reports of deliveries all over. one on News Years Day another was on sunday after. sure there will be more delivered today. its actually starting to happen!

The system, which is debuting in Nissan’s all-electric Leaf, allows drivers to search for charging stations and plot routes that will use less of the electric car’s battery (avoiding slopes, for instance), and connects drivers through a global cloud that Airbiquity operates for Nissan. The platform comes standard with Nissan’s Leaf (console and car pictured), which is currently is all booked up with the car maker’s initial run of 20,000 reservations.
Courtesy: Clean Technologies

We were told on January 4 that the three of us at Fontana were getting LEAFs numbered 9, 10, and 11 in the US. So the numbers are ramping up but not exploding yet....

Back