How to start a local Leaf Club ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlouisleaf

Thinking of starting a Leaf club here in St Louis. Anyone have any experience / thoughts on the subject ?

Would likely start with a St Louis Leaf website, the goal being to inform and connect current or prospective Leaf owners. Links to good sites, articles, apps, etc. Meet ups at local coffee shops or eateries. Maybe even some cool branded stuff like hats, shirts, etc. Aside from connecting people and being a resource maybe we could also lobby select businesses, employers and municipalities to install EV chargers. Would in no way try to duplicate this awesome forum, focussing instead on St Louis specific stuff.

Any thoughts / feedback would be much appreciated :)

I would suggest starting a local EAA (Electric Auto Association) chapter. But it looks like there already is one in St. Louis, give them a call:

http://www.electricauto.org/?page=chapters#MISSOURI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gatewayev.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like they are into electric cars, but often DIY engineering focussed. Totally cool but different in focus / mission. Looking to be a resource for potential / new Leaf owners. Also to lobby for more chargers and just plain meet up and have fun with like minded folks ;-)

I think you will find that the EAA started with a DIY focus (back in 1967 when founded), but that more and more people are just interested in driving. It's was the same way when the Apple Macintosh came out. Only "serious" computer geeks use the IBM. Now, more and more people just want to use the computer, not program one or build chips.

Get together with a Nissan Leaf dealer..like the one you bought your Leaf from...

They might support, (open house,) a local gathering and you could build your community from there.

Back when I owned a Shelby Cobra 427 replica (boy, what a polar opposite to the LEAF, huh?) my wife and I started our own local club. The way we started was on the major forum websites. Once you get a few people involved, word of mouth spreads. Someone who's on the forum may tell another owner who isn't, and so on. In the case of the LEAF, the local dealer may be a good idea too. We started with a handful of people, and within a years' time, our annual show had 50+ Cobras and 100 people attend.

Best of luck!

stlouisleaf said:
Looks like they are into electric cars, but often DIY engineering focussed. Totally cool but different in focus / mission. Looking to be a resource for potential / new Leaf owners. Also to lobby for more chargers and just plain meet up and have fun with like minded folks ;-)
I don't know about your chapter, but our local chapter is very much what you're looking for. There are those DIY conversion people, but they hardly dominate the meetings.

Very helpful advice - will dive in on all fronts. Jazzed about National plug in day, an event here in St Louis, should be fun ;-)

http://pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I started the SoCal LEAF Gatherings, and we just finished 3 years,
averaging 2 Gatherings a month.

PM your name and phone number, and a good time to call,
and I will call you for a chat, if you wish.
Cheers, Gary

I have tried many times to get a group started here in Fort Worth. I've met many people at charging stations, etc, who said they wanted to get together. I take down their names and I have a list going. But when I send out emails to everyone on the list saying I want to get together there is no response.

As others have suggested, there is an EAA chapter here in Dallas, but they concentrate more on DIY stuff and it is too far away for people on the Fort Worth side of the metro area to want to travel.

I hope you have better luck in your city.

Starting Leaf club here in St Louis. Appreciate personal messages and advice via phone over the last few weeks from several of this forums members - super helpful.

Went to Plug In Day event today, lots O Leafs, good guys and gals. They deserve an org aimed squarely at their Leaf interests so we are diving in.

PM me and I'll add you to the email list for upcoming EVents and Leaf meet ups ;-)

adric22 said:
I have tried many times to get a group started here in Fort Worth. I've met many people at charging stations, etc, who said they wanted to get together. I take down their names and I have a list going. But when I send out emails to everyone on the list saying I want to get together there is no response.

As others have suggested, there is an EAA chapter here in Dallas, but they concentrate more on DIY stuff and it is too far away for people on the Fort Worth side of the metro area to want to travel.

I hope you have better luck in your city.

I think, in general, the car has no "staying power," so there is no commitment toward building community.

What do I mean by "staying power"? To begin with it looks like a bug that suddenly appeared and before too long it will just die out or it will be fumigated by those who view it as possibly dangerous. With the battery issues, it doesn't radiate everlasting presence. Also owners I have met here in the Chicago area either wear the car like an environmentally friendly logo and they are so busy with matters of this nature they hardly have time for something as mundane as a local Leaf club. I know it is disappointing. The car just hasn't "caught on" here, although the numbers are growing for which I am very pleased.

Anyway, just some reflections on your question as I have attempted to do the same..without results..

PS:

(Show and Tell? What's the difference. For the most part they all look alike.)
(For mods? Not much to do and who wants to mess with technology that's so new. Not many.)

Back