I would be happy if nissan wasn't keeping us in the dark

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRONZ said:
Ya know a big part of this is OUR culture. The Japanese do not understand the need for rampant transparency because THEY know they are working hard on what needs to be done. It is not that customers are unimportant to them but doing a good job is far more so. To them, you focus 100% on the work, work hard and never stop. To be honest, it is considered insulting by the Japanese to constantly be questioned about what they are doing. It implies we think they are doing something wrong and is considered very disrespectful. The Japanese reaction to recent questioning of Toyota executives in Washington should be a big clue. These executives had never been mobbed by reporters in their lives. This is only done to common criminals. Anyways, I have spent time in Japanese culture and have an Asian wife. Trust me, her family looks at corporations and work very differently than the typical American. For my wife's family it is very simple, NEVER QUESTION JUST DO!

+1! That's very true!

Will anybody venture a guess on when I can realistically expect delivery?
reservation number*: 2344611E
reserved on: 04/23/201

Desertstraw said:

It would be easier to venture a guess if we knew when you ordered (as opposed to when you reserved). I looked in the "Nissan VIN and Delivery" spreadsheet and don't see your information listed.

leafkabob said:
Desertstraw said:

It would be easier to venture a guess if we knew when you ordered (as opposed to when you reserved). I looked in the "Nissan VIN and Delivery" spreadsheet and don't see your information listed.

Order date: December 1, 2010
Thank you.

they've said 'by end of summer 2011' for those who have reserved. I'd venture a guess that you're 2 weeks better then whatever 'end of summer' is defined as, unfortunately...

Ok, here's a practical idea... instead of more marketing, fancy websites that don't work well, and free t-shirts.. how about a free cargo organizer for anyone who waits longer than 7 months from time of order...

(I think I just jinxed myself and made my delivery date 4/2/11.)

Desertstraw said:
leafkabob said:
Desertstraw said:

Order date: December 1, 2010
Thank you.

4-7 mos. from date of order...so Apr.-July.

garygid said:
The "same" manufacturing line (plant) makes many other models of cars, not just the LEAF.

I thought the Oppama plant had a complete line dedicated solely to the manufacture of the Leaf. They do have other lines there which are producing some more-then-expected-popular Nissans, but I haven't heard anything about the Leaf line being a mixed vehicle line.

LakeLeaf said:
garygid said:
The "same" manufacturing line (plant) makes many other models of cars, not just the LEAF.

I thought the Oppama plant had a complete line dedicated solely to the manufacture of the Leaf. They do have other lines there which are producing some more-then-expected-popular Nissans, but I haven't heard anything about the Leaf line being a mixed vehicle line.

It's a mixed line...there is no dedicated line.

LEAFguy said:
I had a chance to speak with Mark Perry at the San Diego LEAF delivery. I asked specifically about upcoming deliveries and wrote this report. Based on my conversation, you will have your car by the end of next summer. Likely it will be before then, as you have already placed your order. Nissan's quality checks on the initial vehicles are considerably more extensive than is typical. They want to be sure that there are no quality issues at all with LEAF, so if that means a slower initial rollout, there will be a slower initial rollout. I agree with your assessment though - Nissan could be more informative.

Clearly there is some type of issue with the Leaf. We have no idea if it is a supply issue such as not enough batteries, or an issue with manufacturing, or something else. Without understanding what that issue, what steps are being taken to address the issue, and what the progress of those steps is, Mark Perry saying that all cars will be delivered by late summer has no more credibility then him telling us 4 months ago that cars would be delivered in December and January and February. Perry is in marketing, not engineering, so I take anything he says with a grain of salt.

But as others say - we'll get them when we get them.

I know that there are a lot of Nissan diehards on this site and for them what I say may be heresy. However if by late Spring I do not get delivery I am putting in an order for a Ford Focus Electric, or any other electric car that will be available by the end of next year. I want a good electric car and I don't care who makes it.

LakeLeaf said:
LEAFguy said:
I had a chance to speak with Mark Perry at the San Diego LEAF delivery. I asked specifically about upcoming deliveries and wrote this report. Based on my conversation, you will have your car by the end of next summer. Likely it will be before then, as you have already placed your order. Nissan's quality checks on the initial vehicles are considerably more extensive than is typical. They want to be sure that there are no quality issues at all with LEAF, so if that means a slower initial rollout, there will be a slower initial rollout. I agree with your assessment though - Nissan could be more informative.

Clearly there is some type of issue with the Leaf. We have no idea if it is a supply issue such as not enough batteries, or an issue with manufacturing, or something else. Without understanding what that issue, what steps are being taken to address the issue, and what the progress of those steps is, Mark Perry saying that all cars will be delivered by late summer has no more credibility then him telling us 4 months ago that cars would be delivered in December and January and February. Perry is in marketing, not engineering, so I take anything he says with a grain of salt.

But as others say - we'll get them when we get them.

That is certain. Even the lack of early accessory pictures points to potential supply issues. Delays are a reality at times and at this point I"m in 2011 so a month or so won't change a thing. What irritates me is their simple minded marketing people that can't get things consistent like saying the car WILL be delivered in 3-4 months then saying 4-7 with text that says the delivery estimate has not changed from the original estimate. I guess they thought I would not notice that those numbers changed:) It's fine but when I called CS a while back the lady insisted it was always 4-7, I must have forgot...

This delay is actually good as it allows more time to see what else may be released and time to confirm so important facts like the actual pack capacity, etc.

Desertstraw said:
I know that there are a lot of Nissan diehards on this site and for them what I say may be heresy. However if by late Spring I do not get delivery I am putting in an order for a Ford Focus Electric, or any other electric car that will be available by the end of next year. I want a good electric car and I don't care who makes it.
This may surprise you - but most of us are EV diehards. Not Nissan.

If Ford was more coming out first (or had any kind of serious investment in EVs) we would be cheering for them too.

sdbonez said:
they've said 'by end of summer 2011' for those who have reserved. I'd venture a guess that you're 2 weeks better then whatever 'end of summer' is defined as, unfortunately...
First day of Fall in 2011 is Friday September 23. So it would appear all LEAFs should be in the initial reservationists hands by Thursday September 22, 2011.

evnow said:
Desertstraw said:
This may surprise you - but most of us are EV diehards. Not Nissan.

If Ford was more coming out first (or had any kind of serious investment in EVs) we would be cheering for them too.

Ya I think the point is to get an EV! We have had two Nissans and they were both great vehicles so I feel solid about the product. But I would just recommend planting as many seeds as possible for as many EV's as you can. It seems to be pretty low risk so far with minimal/refundable deposits needed to get a place in line. Put down deposits on your favorites and just hold them until you get the first EV you really want. Just my $.02.

Something makes me feel more confident about a Nissan EV over a Ford and I do think Ford has done great things with their products over the years but not in the EV space. Nissan has really put a great effort into the Leaf and I have never owned a single Nissan product.

LakeLeaf said:
garygid said:

Jukes come off the exact same line (as shown in the videos). Jukes are also enjoying a somewhat unexpected and underestimated sales enthusiasm in the US. They're pretty nice, and a good fit for this economy. And they're, you know, profitable to build (unlike the Leaf).

That's my uninformed theory, anyway.

Back