ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
^I LOVE it!
That _is_ great.
I'm wishing I had a pic of the Leaf and the Tesla parked in front of the ancient Small Paddle and AvCon chargers at Fry's in Sunnyvale. I had to park on the opposite side to use my AvCon adapter. Gotta love those old talking EVSE's! I was in the store about 1/2 hour so when I unplugged the nice lady's voice said I had charged for 32 minutes and received "640 Kilo Watt Hours"! As I was backing out a new Rav4 pulled in to block the one remaining spot that could be reached by the SP cord, leaving just the one I had vacated for the guy with a factory EV pickup that I sometimes see there using the AvCon.

Why do people do this, is it really too far to walk? There is a really nice 2002 Rav4 EV that charges there, it still has the sticker in the window, but that day it was as if it had been ICE'd.

I would love to get a group of 8 EV drivers, park their EVs in front of each gas pump at a local gas station for 15 minutes! Maybe we can do it once a year nationally, called de-icing day!

-Jim

KickinLeaf said:
I would love to get a group of 8 EV drivers, park their EVs in front of each gas pump at a local gas station for 15 minutes! Maybe we can do it once a year nationally, called de-icing day!
Not a good plan. No, I'm not a 'turn the other cheek' guy, but educating ICE drivers will do more than nasty retaliation.

We've got to get much better signage. :oops: :oops:
Went to the Chattanooga GIGTANK 2013 Demo day yesterday. The Chattanooga Theatre Center parking lot is great with 8 Eaton Level 2 chargers, but NO signage at all about only for EV charging.
Early in the day all were empty, no ICEing.
Late in the day, when the lot got very full, there were four ICE vehicles parked in them. And some of those were "smart" GIGTANK 2013 attendees. ;)
EV charging stations with no signage aren't what they should be. :cry: :cry:

992408_10151771898692417_1958712770_n.jpg

A repeat offender at the library. Now that the plug is working the spots are ICE'd. When the EVSE was down last week the stalls were empty.

Attachments

• iced.jpg
    iced.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 171
On the way home from work I drive by a Denny's with two level 2 spots and at least one is ICEd every day. The spots are the prime ones right by the entrance. Why do they put the stations in those spots? I'm sure we'd all be willing to walk a little farther for the assurance that the spots we need are free. I am a door dingaphobe, so I park really far away no matter what.

ksnogas2112 said:
A repeat offender at the library. Now that the plug is working the spots are ICE'd. When the EVSE was down last week the stalls were empty.
I might be so bold as to add "fine" signage beneath the posted signs (clear box-sealing tape works wonders). :shock: Close-proximity parking is cheaper to wire, so these spaces will be targets for ICEing.

ksnogas2112 said:

Well, that tells me they are blocking it on purpose because they don't like BEV drivers. If that were AZ, they would definitely get towed.

Boourns said:
On the way home from work I drive by a Denny's with two level 2 spots and at least one is ICEd every day. The spots are the prime ones right by the entrance. Why do they put the stations in those spots? I'm sure we'd all be willing to walk a little farther for the assurance that the spots we need are free. I am a door dingaphobe, so I park really far away no matter what.

I was thinking about this - yea they're prime spots usually right by the door. I think the reason is because they are a lot cheaper to install when they are closer to the building (shorter wire-pulls, etc) and they are easier to keep an eye on for security purposes since they're a bit expensive, vandalism could cost the store a pretty penny.

LEAFfan said:
Well, that tells me they are blocking it on purpose because they don't like BEV drivers. If that were AZ, they would definitely get towed.
I'd whip up as genuine a parking violation notice as I could and leave it on their car. If you can convince them they are in danger of being towed, they might stop.

The reason why the EVSEs are placed up front many times is because that is the closest location to the power source they are attaching them to. And while minimizing wire costs is something to consider, my experience is that avoiding the trenching and repair costs for the concrete or asphalt for the conduits that feed the station are probably the main reason for putting them close to the power source...

If the stations generated tons of revenue, maybe hosts would be willing to spend more to locate them in "better" spots. But much of the time, they're installing them on a shoestring budget and have to minimize costs as much as possible to make it work....

Can't really blame them.

Spaces not marked, few EV's in the area, and a shortage of parking spots for the restaurant.

That's OK, I was able to recharge by angling my LEAF to take out two ICE spaces.

4vJLqK0.jpg

jamuraa said:
Boourns said:

I was thinking about this - yea they're prime spots usually right by the door. I think the reason is because they are a lot cheaper to install when they are closer to the building (shorter wire-pulls, etc) and they are easier to keep an eye on for security purposes since they're a bit expensive, vandalism could cost the store a pretty penny.

The local Chiles has the same location for their charge stations, but they have employees park in them, so you can get the cars moved with relative ease. Not nearly as convenient as having the spaces empty, but at least you *can* get a charge when you need one.

Back