Importing US Leaf to Netherlands

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JorisE

Hi Leaf Experts -- we have just moved from California to the Netherlands and shipped our Leaf (2013). Now the relocation company is asking questions about how we plan to charge the Leaf here. We hadn't thought about the question much, but what's the best way to adapt (if needed at all) a US Leaf for use in Europe and the charging stations here? Does anyone have any tips?
J

The short answer is that you'll probably need an EU specific EVSE and Mennekes style cable. I don't think your US EVSE would be much good to you, even if it's already been modified for 240V.

Edit: Actually, for public charging maybe you just need a J1772 to Mennekes cable, assuming the public EVSE handles the pilot signal stuff. Hard to say since I've never tried to charge there, and I'm not finding much solid information on the web. There is also some public CHAdeMO charging, if you're LEAF is suitably equipped.

Edit 2: UK page, but the same should apply to the Netherlands. I think chances are you're going to find more bollard units with Mennekes plugs than you are full EVSEs with J1772 connectors built in:

http://pim.cenex.co.uk/plugged-in-midlands/charging-point-equipment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JorisE said:
Hi Leaf Experts -- we have just moved from California to the Netherlands and shipped our Leaf (2013). Now the relocation company is asking questions about how we plan to charge the Leaf here. We hadn't thought about the question much, but what's the best way to adapt (if needed at all) a US Leaf for use in Europe and the charging stations here? Does anyone have any tips?
J
I envy you. First, tell the relocation company that it's none of their business and because you are in EU; you do only what YOU want. ;) Netherlands uses 220-240 volts CEE 7/4 outlets, same as Romania, Germany and most other countries in EU. Anyway, if you plan to charge at home only, you can cut the NEMA L6 plug off the EVSE and put on a CEE 7/4 plug. It's 16 amps only.

I remember when I was little that my father was using 480 volts which was illegal to power his own custom made table saw that he made on a CNC machine with metal that he stole from the Soviets at the factory where he worked, and he made fences and furniture for half the town. Was a lot of fun.

Have fun in the Netherlands. Take some pictures for us when you get there.

Back