Inadvertant Public Charger Etiquette Faux Pas?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub3marathonman

For the first time I found another car using the EVSE I was hoping to use. This is a free public charger, although parking rates were in effect for another forty minutes. I was planning on charging for about 45 minutes to an hour, while waiting in my car, and it was not a desperately needed charging. The location is in Florida, so there were no west coast ev parking requirements.

On the Chargepoint EVSE it indicated that the other Leaf was finished charging. On the Leaf all three lights were on, without any blinking. So I unplugged the other car, reinserted the cord into the EVSE, then used my card to authorize the charging for my Leaf.

Not too long afterward a lady walked up to the other Leaf. It did appear that she was concerned when I saw her approaching. I had written a note in case I left without seeing the other owner, so I got out and introduced myself and gave her the note. I asked her if it had created a problem because I unplugged her car. She said that she had gotten an alert, and had left work slightly early because of this. I told her that I was very sorry about that, but that I had seen that her car was done charging. She agreed that her car was recharged, and said that it was set up for her to receive an alert when it is fully charged, but she hadn't gotten the alert about being fully charged.

I am wondering if it is possible to see on the machine if the user has received the proper notification that charging is complete. Obviously I would not have stopped anybody's recharging, but if they are finished I thought what I did was the correct proceedure. There was no contact number left, which I have read is what some people have done.

So should I have not recharged while her car sat there not using the charger?

Seems ok to me. as long as she got a full charge. she could have used her carwings to check to see if it was fully charged , why did she leave early , why couldnt she just walk down and check on things if she was worried. I would have just checked thing out. and as long as i got my charge its ok. everyone will have to understand since the car wont unplug itself that people will have to unhook your car to be most efficient with the chargers we have available. glad you posted a note , it shows you were trying to courteous.

She should have checked the charge level before leaving work early.
I agree if you have every indication the car is 100% charged there is no harm in unplugging and charging yours. JMHO.
I wonder when the actual 100% charged email goes out? Maybe when the lights stop illuminating.... 15 minutes?

If the car was still there when I was done I would have plugged it back in.

sub3marathonman said:
If all three lights were on solid (nothing blinking), her car was completely charged and you were in the right to assume so. I recommend all EV owners use the EV Charger Sharing Protocol Card as this allows you to convey your needs to fellow users and allows you to provide contact information.

For example, some charging stations here require that you be plugged in to be able to stay parked in a particular spot. I put the paper clip next to my phone number to make sure others call me so I can let them know that they can't unplug me as that would then make my car illegally parked and that I will come move it as soon as possible. At other locations, I usually just mark "Unplug at Anytime" since I'm just doing opportunity charging.

you did good.
i dont see you reporting "annoyance" by the woman.
Maybe she was glad to leave work early. I am always glad to have a reason to leave, more so if I dont have pressing deadlines on something.

kubel said:
If the car is fully charged and the owner wasn't considerate enough to unplug, do it for them. :)

The owner wasn't aware they were fully charged. She had not received the notification yet.

sub3marathonman said:

Her car was probably at 12 bars, but her notice doesn't get sent until the lights go out. I believe that's why she didn't get her notice. She would have gotten it in a few more minutes.

You did the right thing. Here is something else for us to think about: When I am at a public charger topping-off and don't really need a full charge to get home, I leave a note on the inside flap of my charging port with my phone number and a message that it is okay to unplug me early, if anyone else needs the charger.

Plug-in America plans to have some laminated cards like that offered soon saying OK to unplug if needed.
The other side would say "charging needed" and request that you NOT be unplugged so you could display either message depending.

mksE55 said:
Seems ok to me. as long as she got a full charge. she could have used her carwings to check to see if it was fully charged , why did she leave early , why couldnt she just walk down and check on things if she was worried. I would have just checked thing out. and as long as i got my charge its ok. everyone will have to understand since the car wont unplug itself that people will have to unhook your car to be most efficient with the chargers we have available. glad you posted a note , it shows you were trying to courteous.

First, thanks to everyone for the helpful responses.

I did want to add that this is no ordinary lady. She went from a Geo to her Leaf so she would be able to drive the 35 mile or so trip each way to work on electric. Then, since the people where she works won't even let her charge on 120, she pays $4.00 or so each day to park where the charger is. Then she walks the remaining one mile to where she works!

LEAFfan said:
sub3marathonman said:

Her car was probably at 12 bars, but her notice doesn't get sent until the lights go out. I believe that's why she didn't get her notice. She would have gotten it in a few more minutes.

Yes, when she turned the car on it showed 12 bars. But I never knew about the delay for the notification until the three lights go out. It is a bit confusing too then because the message said charge complete.

sub3marathonman said:
I did want to add that this is no ordinary lady. She went from a Geo to her Leaf so she would be able to drive the 35 mile or so trip each way to work on electric. Then, since the people where she works won't even let her charge on 120, she pays $4.00 or so each day to park where the charger is. Then she walks the remaining one mile to where she works!
Now that is real commitment to EV, LEAF and no oil :D
Probably lives in an apartment or condo where she cannot charge :(

voltatlanticstation.jpg

I had a similar story, i came to our local 3 car public charger, and noticed the leaf next to my volt wasn't charging.
The guy had a business card on the dash, i called it no answer, i tried to unplug and replug in his car, but no luck.

I later found out he had his car set on delayed charge. (at night) odd.

toasty said:
voltatlanticstation.jpg

I had a similar story, i came to our local 3 car public charger, and noticed the leaf next to my volt wasn't charging.
The guy had a business card on the dash, i called it no answer, i tried to unplug and replug in his car, but no luck.

I later found out he had his car set on delayed charge. (at night) odd.

NO! NO TIMER CHARGING ON A PUBLIC CHARGER. THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY'RE THERE FOR! :x

I never have any trouble using the timer override for public charging.

Although it would help to have separate timer settings for home/work/every place else.

mwalsh said:
toasty said:
i tried to unplug and replug in his car, but no luck. I later found out he had his car set on delayed charge. (at night) odd.
NO! NO TIMER CHARGING ON A PUBLIC CHARGER. THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY'RE THERE FOR!
Agreed, but that is why smkettner is wrong. When toasty unplugged and replugged, that canceled the timer override.

NEVER OVERRIDE at a public charger; turn off the timer at the console instead.
Zero Emission -> Charging timer -> Click on the active timer -> confirm that you want to turn it off.
Repeat to turn it back on. Your settings will be preserved.

Ray

No override was cancelled because it was not enabled in the first place.
It was noted the LEAF was not charging before the J connector was fiddled with.

Although the timers would not seem to work either unless the EVSE was unrestricted.

Back