Increase from 3.3kW to 6.6 kW sooner rather than later

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFer said:
Andy: I think what kahlepj is talking about is the REVERSE of what you are linking to ... they (SEVA) are going from NEMA (dryer receptacle on the wall) to J-Plug (car). At least that how I read this ...
kahlepj said:
Also, we have created a simple adapter that can be used to turn any simple dryer plug or stove outlet into a J1772 Level 2, 6.6kW capable supply station.
Lower left corner - EVSE project underway and expected to be ready mid-Feb. Follow link to 2nd prototype board and O-scope of pilot signal. http://modularevpower.com/EVSE_module_development.htm ;)

Is it true that a pessimist stops searching when they see the first thing wrong while an optimist keeps looking until they find something right? :lol:

I was looking for the plug/socket adapters (short cords with a plug on one end and a socket on the other end) that he seemed to refer to as already existing, not a DYI EVSE.

Ironically, in my area there are very few dryer plugs since most dryers here are gas.

LEAFer said:
Andy: I think what kahlepj is talking about is the REVERSE of what you are linking to ... they (SEVA) are going from NEMA (dryer receptacle on the wall) to J-Plug (car). At least that how I read this ...

Most houses are wired for electric dryers, even if they also offer gas to support gas-heated dryers, I think.

Mine, built 33 years ago, offers both, and has both 120v and 240v sockets available.

Garygid, you are correct. My house has a gas dryer and an unused 240 electric line. Why can`t this line be modified to recive the EVSE. Making a much easier instalation

So how many actual complaints are in from those that have the car?
I would like to hear actual people with a Leaf that could do this, this and this except for the 3.3Kw is holding me back.

None of the houses in my area, built around 1970-1980 have dryer plugs, just gas outlets. Maybe it is a Southern California thing since gas is so widely used here.

stanley said:
Garygid, you are correct. My house has a gas dryer and an unused 240 electric line. Why can`t this line be modified to recive the EVSE. Making a much easier instalation

With "just" a gas dryer, your house will still have at least a duplex 120v "standard" socket (to plug in the gas dryer and the washer).

Some houses will have a dual-duplex (two duplex sockets, or 4 places to plug in), and one duplex socket MIGHT be wired to one "phase" of 120v (line-1 side of the 240v) and the other socket wired to the other "phase". So, between the two sockets, you might actually have 240v on two 15 or 20 amp breakers. In that case a 240v socket could be "installed", OR a short Y-cord "adapter" could be made to use the existing sockets.

CAUTION: Only attempt these types of things if you are sufficiently competent to do so safely.

mogur said:
None of the houses in my area, built around 1970-1980 have dryer plugs, just gas outlets. Maybe it is a Southern California thing since gas is so widely used here.
All the houses around here have provisions for both gas and electric dryers... Also built in the 70s.

stanley said:
Most dryer circuits are 30 amp. AV requires 40 amp. But yes you could use the circuit to power a Leviton 16a that only requires a 20a circuit rating.
(This is part of my continuing rant about Nissan giving us AV and only a 40a option for evse even though 20a would charge Leaf at full speed.)

Or, the 30-amp circuit would support 24-amp charging, but the present LEAF will only use about 16 amps.

One BIG reason I am looking at the SPX is that it has a field-adjustable Max-Current setting (so they say). Unknown yet how that "setting-adjustment" will get done.

If one was only going to charge for an hour (thus, not a "continuous" load), one COULD set it for 15 amps instead of 12. But, only a marginal gain.

Using it on a 20-amp circuit one could set it for 16 amps instead of 12 ... a noticable "overnight" improvement, down to something like 15 hours instead of 20.

Hey, Gary, you need to warn us when you switch gears like that. Somewhere between your first and third paragraph you stopped talking about L2 and started talking L1. Since this topic is 6.6 charger, I would think we should only be talking L2 here. Were you talking about an L2 SPX or L1?

kahlepj said:
Also, we have created a simple adapter that can be used to turn any simple dryer plug or stove outlet into a J1772 Level 2, 6.6kW capable supply station.
garygid said:
I was looking for the plug/socket adapters (short cords with a plug on one end and a socket on the other end) that he seemed to refer to as already existing, not a DYI EVSE.
Really? You've got a copy of J1772-2010 and know there's more required to go from a dryer socket to the car than just a couple of plugs from Home Depot. That 'extra stuff' is EVSE Guts! And I linked to you one example.

AndyH said:
kahlepj said:
garygid said:
Really? You've got a copy of J1772-2010 and know there's more required to go from a dryer socket to the car than just a couple of plugs from Home Depot. That 'extra stuff' is EVSE Guts! And I linked to you one example.

There are J plug kits that come with an built in pilot signal and one could add the cord and dryer plug and charge. There would be no cut off and no GFI though so it is not the same as a full EVSE.

EVDRIVER said:
There are J plug kits that come with an built in pilot signal and one could add the cord and dryer plug and charge. There would be no cut off and no GFI though so it is not the same as a full EVSE.
Excellent! Bring on the options!

Andy,
Sorry, somehow I was not being sufficiently clear.
I was looking for short socket/plug adapter cables, to go BETWEEN the wall socket and the EVSE's power-in plug.
NOT an EVSE, NOT connect to the car.

Tesla offers a wide selection, especially made to adapt their EVSE to different "wall" sockets, but they are rather expensive.

garygid said:
Andy,
Sorry, somehow I was not being sufficiently clear.
I was looking for short socket/plug adapter cables, to go BETWEEN the wall socket and the EVSE's power-in plug.
NOT an EVSE, NOT connect to the car.

Tesla offers a wide selection, especially made to adapt their EVSE to different "wall" sockets, but they are rather expensive.

Gary- Home Depot/Pro or a good electric supply. I have made many up to 50A over the years, EASY.

Even easier if these EV folks already have good-quality adapters available at a reasonable price.

Not everybody has the ability to make good quality cables. So, locating a good "source" would help more folks than I would by building my own. Also, buying from them would presumably help support their ongoing EV efforts.

EVDRIVER said:

Interesting, you have a link?.. I could rig up a GFI 240V socket.

Back