Infiniti's All Electric concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conversely, if it is considerably more expensive than the Leaf but offers basically the same range and performance, but with only nicer amenities, exterior, etc., it is likely to fail. Most, I suspect, would simply not feel the need to spend more and not get something tangible in performance and range in return.
evnow said:
Competitively it will be squarely positioned against BMW i3. If it has better range than i3, it will be a hit.

Boomer23 said:
The battery pack size is going to be larger than the one in the LEAF. Unless the Infiniti weighs a lot more than the LEAF, the range is likely to be greater than the LEAF's range if the cars are driven in the same conservative way. But Nissan is saying that the focus of the Infiniti will be more toward the performance end of the spectrum, so if driven more aggressively, I'd expect the Infiniti to be faster. The best of both worlds. :D
Indeed! And although I cannot elaborate on my earlier comment, let's just say that I'm under the impression that we can help Nissan to make their future vehicles a success. They seem to be listening.

Here is a profile tease of the LE. Presentation will be on April 6 @ 12:30pm.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/03/infiniti-zero-emission-luxury-concept-teased-ny-auto-show-preview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has an interesting character line and possibly a radically sloped tail. It's getting exciting!

This is not an electric GT-R so much as an electric Maxima or, as Herm put it so well, a "tarted up" Leaf. The problem with tarting up a Leaf is that it also porks up the Leaf, which means you need a larger battery pack in order to maintain the Leaf's range and more power to match the Leaf's acceleration.

As I've said before, the single biggest limiting factor for the Leaf's performance is the single reduction gear transmission. Unless they fix that I wouldn't pay more for this car. Otherwise, as TomT says, you're just paying $10K for an upgraded interior. If they do fix it then this could be a very nice upgrade to the Leaf because you'd be getting better performance and more efficiency at higher speeds.

We'll see soon enough what it looks like but the production version will not have 21" wheels.

TRONZ said:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/03/infiniti-zero-emission-luxury-concept-teased-ny-auto-show-preview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmm.. it will seat 5, there goes the chance of being lighter.

This article looks interesting, will it be the debut of the Nissan NMC battery?:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/03/infiniti-battery-electric-vehicle-announced-for-new-york-auto-show.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The BEV, which isn’t named yet, will share underpinnings with the Nissan Leaf, but with more emphasis on power and aggressive styling.

“It was designed to be a luxury vehicle first and an electric vehicle second,” Infiniti marketing manager Sam Chung told The Detroit Bureau.

Infiniti’s BEV will, however, adopt the mid-cycle changes headed for the Leaf. Those include an improved electric cabin heater that will be less taxing on the car’s battery, improving range and cold weather driving. The update will also bring an improved battery with better range, though the same principles apply to BEVs as do gasoline engines: the more output, the poorer the range.

Given that, it seems like the better battery will at least make it into the car if not as an even beefier version, but that coupled with a performance-first attitude suggests the vehicle’s range will probably be compromised.

Still, the new BEV will adopt an updated 6 kw charger, over the current-generation Leaf’s 3 kw charger, which will offer improved charging times, both to new Leaf customers and those interested in the more luxurious Infiniti. "

Infiniti marketing boss Keith St. Clair even attempted to lay rest to doubters commenting that the car will be “100 percent electric, 100 percent luxury, 100 percent performance.” St. Clair also said that the vehicle is, “signaling out intent to deliver a halo sports car in the very near future.”

TRONZ said:
What the heck did Infiniti do to this LEAF?

LE%2520Mule.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-infiniti-elecric-vehicle-spy-photos-future-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, never mind. It's the Infiniti LE test mule.

Okay, so now that we've talked about this car a bit, what the HECK is under that ugly bulging hood? We know that there are probably more batteries in the car and a higher capacity charger. Maybe on the test mule, they put the new charger up front to avoid needing to route some of the circuitry or cooling back to the rear space. Or maybe in the mule, the extra batteries are in the trunk, so the charger was moved up front since that was the only place it would fit.

Boomer23 said:
Okay, so now that we've talked about this car a bit, what the HECK is under that ugly bulging hood? We know that there are probably more batteries in the car and a higher capacity charger. Maybe on the test mule, they put the new charger up front to avoid needing to route some of the circuitry or cooling back to the rear space. Or maybe in the mule, the extra batteries are in the trunk, so the charger was moved up front since that was the only place it would fit.
Good guesses! How about a second motor? Yay or nay?

Herm said:
Could also be a debut of Nissans 2nd generation NMC battery.[/img]
Wouldn't that be nice?

surfingslovak said:
St. Clair also said that the vehicle is, “signaling out intent to deliver a halo sports car in the very near future.”

Daily EV - CHECK
Luxury EV - CHECK
Performance EV - CH........

:cool:

surfingslovak said:
Infiniti marketing boss Keith St. Clair even attempted to lay rest to doubters commenting that the car will be “100 percent electric, 100 percent luxury, 100 percent performance.” St. Clair also said that the vehicle is, “signaling out intent to deliver a halo sports car in the very near future.”

That's the Emerge-E high end sports PHEV.

surfingslovak said:
Boomer23 said:
Good guesses! How about a second motor? Yay or nay?

Herm said:
Could also be a debut of Nissans 2nd generation NMC battery.[/img]
Wouldn't that be nice?

Another idea: What if all the junk in the front means that Infiniti is working on a new rear suspension, independent perhaps?

TomT said:
Conversely, if it is considerably more expensive than the Leaf but offers basically the same range and performance, but with only nicer amenities, exterior, etc., it is likely to fail. Most, I suspect, would simply not feel the need to spend more and not get something tangible in performance and range in return.

I'm not sure about that, lots of demands here for leather, better carpets and stereo..

Herm said:
TomT said:

I'm not sure about that, lots of demands here for leather, better carpets and stereo..

As well as premium paint with many more color options, wheels and tires, a sun/moon roof, Tesla-sized nav screen, more driving modes (add "sport", to D and ECO) regen options, etc.

And It will be an Infiniti, not a Nissan, after all.

That's good for another 5K$ on the sticker, alone.

Boomer23 said:
surfingslovak said:

That's the Emerge-E high end sports PHEV.

Shhhhhhhhhhh... I'm busy daydreaming.

Back