Insurance cost - not pleased

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'll definitely shop around trying different options, the car is already added to my current policy so I have time. As for enjoying I can't even have that - my wife took it and won't let me drive it :)

After looking more carefully it turns out that the relative increase over what I pay on my current car is less than I thought. 449 on the Subaru vs. 738 on the Leaf for 6 months. I got confused as the new declaration page showed decreased rate for the first car at 280 as it became a "leisure" vehicle - more cars than people in our family right now. 738/449 is better than 738/280, 738 is still too high but least I feel a little better :)

Adding the Leaf as a 2nd car increased my annual premium by $388
$100k, $300k, $50k
$500 deductible comprehensive
$500 deductible collision
Liberty Mutual

Shaun
San Diego
49, clean record

My Leaf's cost with Farmers in Phoenix is about $640/year for 500/500/100 for bodily injury/prop damage and 100/300 for both underinsured and uninsured, and $1K deductible for collision and comprehensive. This is for me & wife & 19-yr-old son.

It was a pleasant surprise to me because it's not any more than what I expect for a comparable ICE car that's around $34K MSRP brand new. I have a feeling a new ICE car's premium in that price range may actually be a little higher than the Leaf's premium.

It's so hard to compare insurance premiums because it's never apple to apple. I think the only way to shop around is hear about which insurance companies give good rate for other Leaf owners and try to get a quote from those companies to see if that may extend to your location and personal situations and coverage.

Valdemar said:
Anyone can suggest insurance with friendlier Leaf premiums?

My LEAF is with Safeco (was Colorado Casualty) and for the same liability/ded as yours except my comp is $100 instead of $250, I'm paying $270/6mos.

HighDesertDriver said:
Valdemar said:
I don't deserve this :)
Give Wawanesa a try. Unusual name, but recommended by several friends who are also eligible for USAA.

I researched them - many negative reviews, customer service is non-existent and they increased prices this year.

Geico gave me the best quote so far - $950/6m for 2 vehicles 100/300/100 500/500 d. Anyone had good/bad experience with them?

Pemco has been the best deal for me that no one could beat for the past 4 years... They did charge me $10 extra per month when I replaced Sentra with Leaf.

Valdemar said:
Geico gave me the best quote so far - $950/6m for 2 vehicles 100/300/100 500/500 d. Anyone had good/bad experience with them?
One time I got a quote from Geico that looked good (gave them my VIN#s and everything). So I signed up with them, and very shortly after they raised the premium on me, citing some vague reason that I didn't quite understand.

Of course I dumped them like a rock and went with somebody else, because I considered them to be dishonest in giving me a low ball quote to lure me in, then raised their price on me after I got hooked.

Volusiano said:
Valdemar said:
One time I got a quote from Geico that looked good (gave them my VIN#s and everything). So I signed up with them, and very shortly after they raised the premium on me, citing some vague reason that I didn't quite understand.

Of course I dumped them like a rock and went with somebody else, because I considered them to be dishonest in giving me a low ball quote to lure me in, then raised their price on me after I got hooked.

There is that. Honesty and insurance business don't go together hand in hand. Did they raise it on a renewal date at least?

Valdemar said:
Volusiano said:
Valdemar said:

There is that. Honesty and insurance business don't go together hand in hand. Did they raise it on a renewal date at least?
Oh, no. They raised it almost immediately after I signed on with them. I got a letter within a week or two after I signed on, telling me that they have revised the premium. I'm like, what the heck? What's the point of doing a quote then if it doesn't mean anything? There's got to be some kind of law against this.

I went back to my previous insurance company, because they ended up costing less the Geico's revised premium.

Valdemar said:
Just called AAA, they are basically in the same ridiculous ballpark - about 1600/year to add the Leaf to another policy I have.
There is really no valid way to compare insurance prices with another person, but I just couldn't let that $1600 stand. When we added the LEAF to our AAA policy it was only an extra $562/year.

Ray

That just doesn't make sense, ok +/- $200-$300 I understand based on location and other factors. I have a good driving record, no tickets, homeowners/auto with AAA, and 300% difference is simply outrageous. What are the liability limits on your policy? Did you add your Leaf by calling their central phone # or by going to an office in person and asked their insurance clerk? Probably no different but just curious.

planet4ever said:
There is really no valid way to compare insurance prices with another person...
Yep. This is why certain places don't even allow such threads because they're useless. See http://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/197329-the-top-100-common-questions-2.html?postcount=36#post2910760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about why.

Valdemar said:
What are the liability limits on your policy? Did you add your Leaf by calling their central phone # or by going to an office in person and asked their insurance clerk? Probably no different but just curious.
I called their central phone. 500K/500K Bodily Injury; No Medical; 30K/60K Uninsured Motorist; 100K Property Damage. But we do have $250 deductible Comprehensive and $500 deductible Collision.

My theory on insurance is that small claims are adjuster and paper intensive, so very inefficient. We really only need insurance for the things that might pinch us if we had to pay out of pocket. And we already have excellent medical coverage.

Ray

Wow, I can't believe I have the cheapest insurance of everyone here. I live in Norway, where everything usually is very expensive (the Leaf costs $50k & a Big Mac menu is ~$17). I pay $168 per 6 months for full coverage / 7500 miles :)

While I agree that comparing policies from different people/locations is meaningless for the purpose of figuring out if you got a good deal, comparing vehicles on the same policy does make at least some sense. In particular I do not understand why the Leaf's liability premium is so much higher than my other faster car, and still higher than a SUV on the same policy, both of them can do more damage potentially than the leaf. Is it because they are afraid quiet EV's will be running over pedestrians who can't hear their approach?

I think it is the lack of actuarial data at this point, causing the insurance companies to assume the worst. My State Farm Leaf premium is slightly higher than the premium was for my BMW 3 or currently is for my Acura MDX, both of which cost more...

Valdemar said:
While I agree that comparing policies from different people/locations is meaningless for the purpose of figuring out if you got a good deal, comparing vehicles on the same policy does make at least some sense. In particular I do not understand why the Leaf's liability premium is so much higher than my other faster car, and still higher than a SUV on the same policy, both of them can do more damage potentially than the leaf. Is it because they are afraid quiet EV's will be running over pedestrians who can't hear their approach?

TomT said:
I think it is the lack of actuarial data at this point, causing the insurance companies to assume the worst. My State Farm Leaf premium is slightly higher than the premium was for my BMW 3 or currently is for my Acura MDX, both of which cost more...

I certainly hope the situation will improve over time. If not my hopes about saving money, which is not to say was the main reason I got the Leaf, will never become a reality.

Back