Insurance cost - not pleased

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a decent rate from Nationwide.

$361 every 6 months

Compares to $326 for a 2007 Altima

Comp/collision 100/250 deductibles
property 100,000
body inj 300,000
medical 1,000
uninsured 100,000

I checked with State Farm after seeing this thread! They said it'd only add about $12/mo to my current rate (for a newer, more expensive car.)

insurers are blood suckers.
comparing quotes between leafers is almost impossible as most CA insurance is based on zipcode and other factors, which are not interchangeable.
I can improve my driving and add or drop 100-300k coverage, but I cant move to your zipcode.

Valdemar said:
Just called AAA, they are basically in the same ridiculous ballpark - about 1600/year to add the Leaf to another policy I have. Geico gave a quote for $628/6 months. Progressive didn't like the VIN. I'll keep shopping around. $500/6 months would not be that unreasonable for SoCal I think, but I yet have to find that rate. The rates should drop over time I thinks - insurance risk assessment calculations probably goes crazy because there is no historical data for the Leaf and there is a lot of uncertainty.

I have even more coverage then you on AAA and use them for home as well and pay about $800 for the year with same parameters and one other car and I live in a high rate zip code. Not sure why yours is so high.

EVDRIVER said:
I have even more coverage then you on AAA and use them for home as well and pay about $800 for the year with same parameters and one other car and I live in a high rate zip code. Not sure why yours is so high.

Driving history, credit rating, etc etc. There are lots of factors that can affect insurance rates. Each quote is individualized.

JPWhite said:
EVDRIVER said:

Driving history, credit rating, etc etc. There are lots of factors that can affect insurance rates. Each quote is individualized.

Yes that is a given but the rates on the other car were reasonable so it should not be that high for the LEAF, both cars should be high and the comprehensive should be a bit higher but not the liability. My rates were relative between cars I own as they should be unless one is exotic or high risk but a LEAF should not be that much higher than the other car listed.

Back