insurance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a quote from Progressive. The 6 month premium for my 2010 Odyssey is $321. They want $921 for a 2012 or 2013 Leaf. It makes no sense at all. That's for 100/300/100, $500 deductible, and gap coverage. I get the following discounts: Homeowner/Package, 3 Yr Safe Driving, Paperless, Online Quote, 5 Yr Accident Free, Multi-Car, Continuous Insurance: Diamond, Paid in Full

I hate to leave Progressive, but if I get the Leaf I will have to. (Or possibly carry two separate policies.)

You don't need gap insurance, it is already built into your lease.

I am paying 459 for 2011 SL in Texas w $250.00 deductibles and your coverages. I am 46 w clean driving record and on accidents in past five years.

Ian B

I picked up my 2012 Nissan Leaf in December 2012 and added it to my existing Geico Policy. I opened my Geico policy back when I was on active duty, now I think anyone can get into Geico. God bless that little gecco.

I have the following discounts in place on my Geico account:
  • Multi-Car (because of adding the Leaf) - $138
    5-Year Safe Driver - $81.20
    New Car Discount (because of the Leaf) - $18.30
    Multi-Line Discount (because of my Renter's Insurance Policy through Geico affiliate) - $16.70
    ABS - $10.40
    Anti-theft Devices $6.50
    Defensive Driver - $54.10

All these discounts add up, but I had to select some of them on the website. I was not aware of them until I logged into my account and applied them !!!!!

6-month policy, total savings is > $325.10

Check this out, I received my defensive driver discount because I took an on-line course linked through Geico. It cost me $20; took 2 hours (advertised at 6-hours) and passed with 98%. Clicked through most of the BS and only the Final Test counts. That $20 investment saves me $114 per year.

I know policies vary from city to city, but you get the idea. The savings are out there, you just have to look for them.

x10guy said:
kubel said:
Geico was the cheapest around for me, plus I got to use a military discount with them so it made it even better.

AAA was screwing me over.

AAA was my best price , so I guess your experience may vary on the insurance rep you get.

I got Ameriprise via Costco. 360 for 6 mos. I have 3 other cars. I was paying 600 for all other old cars with liability only since they are over 8 years old, new car, 1000 deductible, gap coverage for 60/ mo, I think it is great! Main issue I have my son in my policy and that increases my rates.

My rates went up $45 for 6 months over what I was paying for a '07 Toyota Yaris. My insurance representative told me that the increase was not just because the value of the car; he said they don't have enough data on the Leaf because not enough of them out there to accurately calculate how likely I am to crash the car and the typical repair costs, etc. that will be involved when someone does crash.

There are good tips in this thread. Progressive has always blown away every other quote I've received, except they tied Geico when I first signed up. I went with Progressive because Geico was known for buying radar guns for police departments (whether they really did this, I have no idea.)

I hate switching companies because of the loyalty discounts. Plus, I had one claim with Progressive (flood loss) which did not raise my rates, and they paid me twice what my crap lemon of a car was worth. But $930 is crazy... (We're 40/41, no kids driving age, no accidents in as long as I can remember.)

Bicster said:
Geico was known for buying radar guns for police departments (whether they really did this, I have no idea.)

Seriously?
I am not sure how this should factor into the decision of insurance carriers.

Police monitor speed limits to ensure driver safety on the roads.

As tax payers, and insurance carriers, we incur the expense of the burden created by excessive motor vehicle accidents.

I just don't understand the decision factor of which insurance company to choose based on whether or not they fund the enforcement of the laws.

Ameriprise via Costco wants $737 to insure my Odyssey and a Leaf. (Leaf alone was $523)

Geico wants $480 for both of them. Their quotation system didn't make it easy to remove the van.

By the way, there's a decent ($42 in my case) discount for being a BRK shareholder. Since BRK.B split, every Gieco customer should own a share. (BRK argues the other way around that every BRK shareholder should use Geico, but I digress.)

iamwjh said:
Seriously?
I am not sure how this should factor into the decision of insurance carriers.

Police monitor speed limits to ensure driver safety on the roads.

As tax payers, and insurance carriers, we incur the expense of the burden created by excessive motor vehicle accidents.

I just don't understand the decision factor of which insurance company to choose based on whether or not they fund the enforcement of the laws.

That's another thread :)

I have owned and Insurance Agency for over 20 years (hence the name Insureit1). I currently represent 6 different preferred carriers but most of my business is with Erie Insurance. An earlier post hit it right on the head that there are so many variables that it is impossible to generalize about the rates. One problem with the LEAF right now is lack of statistical data on claim costs. Whenever a new model is introduced it can take a while to get the data needed to accurately asses the costs to repair the car. I have seen this before with Lexus when they first introduced the RX300 Hybrid. After the car was out for one year the price dropped 30%. While the LEAF has been out for two years the total number sold is still so small and my guess is that only a small percentage have been in accidents needing repair. Over time the cost to insure the leaf will go down. But it does pay to shop around but buyer beware. Some of the companies mentioned have great marketing machines in place but HORRIBLE claims service. I would rather spend a few dollars more for great claim service AND an agent to help guide me along the way (sorry I am a bit biased:))

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you are over 50 you owe it to yourself to get your insurance checked thru AARP/The Hartford. I moved my policies over (home & auto) and achieved just short of a 50% reduction in cost. Give them a look.

videographer said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you are over 50 you owe it to yourself to get your insurance checked thru AARP/The Hartford. I moved my policies over (home & auto) and achieved just short of a 50% reduction in cost. Give them a look.
I have been getting those AARP offers for years, so I gave them a shot. Their quote was far above what I was paying Allstate with all the discounts I get from them. I did get a free $3 quartz travel alarm clock for asking, though. ;)

YMMV,
TT

Insureit1 said:
I have owned and Insurance Agency for over 20 years (hence the name Insureit1). I currently represent 6 different preferred carriers but most of my business is with Erie Insurance. An earlier post hit it right on the head that there are so many variables that it is impossible to generalize about the rates. One problem with the LEAF right now is lack of statistical data on claim costs. Whenever a new model is introduced it can take a while to get the data needed to accurately asses the costs to repair the car. I have seen this before with Lexus when they first introduced the RX300 Hybrid. After the car was out for one year the price dropped 30%. While the LEAF has been out for two years the total number sold is still so small and my guess is that only a small percentage have been in accidents needing repair. Over time the cost to insure the leaf will go down. But it does pay to shop around but buyer beware. Some of the companies mentioned have great marketing machines in place but HORRIBLE claims service. I would rather spend a few dollars more for great claim service AND an agent to help guide me along the way (sorry I am a bit biased:))

Really enjoyed this post, thanks for sharing your experience. I have had a few conversations with my insurance agents where I have emphasized that I am interested to give priority to know who is best about claims, but it seems hard to get this information in a really strong way. I can talk to a friend or two and hear anecdotes, but how do I really put together a deeper understanding of who is generally good and who is generally not, across thousands and millions of claims?

On the car insurance side, I'm still trying to figure out if there's an angle to play here on the miles-per-car-per-year side. That is, I probably drive between 10k and 15k miles per year. I kept my Hydrocarbon vehicle, which I own outright (and which is only worth about $1000-$1500 bluebook) and leased a Leaf. Now those miles are split between the two. The company I've had for about 13 years, Farmers, used to have some sort of point in the insurance that took mileage into account, but no longer. I recently confirmed this with my agent. For those with other carriers, are there any that tie the insurance into the mileage per vehicle, and might there be a way to get lower insurance using that angle?

addendum: ps: I have made only one claim with Farmers, a long time ago, and it was not a great experience, where basically they pointed me toward the other carrier and kind of left me to fend for myself. This may actually have been not good advice, but I didn't appreciate the amount of work that I ended up doing when I thought I was paying them for something. In general, across many customers, I don't know if they're good or bad, but the fact that I am with them should not be taken as an indication that my estimation is they are good on claims, only that I tend to take many years to change, if it seems advisable.

I've had Safeco for a few years now, and just replaced my 2008 Prius with the 2012 LEAF. The LEAF is just a bit more than the Prius.

My premium for the LEAF is $292.90 for 6 months, for this coverage:
  • Liability & Uninsured Motorist
    • Bodily Injury: $50,000/$100,000
      Property Damage: $50,000
    Personal Injury Protection: $10,000
    Comprehensive: Cash value less $500 deductible
    Collision: Cash value less $500 deductible
    Roadside assistance

I have a very high credit score, no tickets, no accidents, etc.

davewill said:
I think we came to the conclusion that Nissan can't or won't help locate the car. You can always call customer service and ask.

My dealer specifically told me when I was buying the car that I should make sure to tell my insurance agent that the vehicle can be tracked if it is stolen!

This thread is interesting and as you can see there is no single best answer. Insurance rates vary across the country and one company that has great rates in Maryland may be twice as much in California. In fact most insurance rates are set by zip code and many companies are going to even more specific rating plans so that the same risk across the street could cost more. It pays to shop around and I always tell clients that I am a consumer as well and want to get the best value for my insurance not just the cheapest price. Coverage from one carrier to another can be totally different (more with home insurance) but make sure you READ you policy BEFORE a loss occurs. I had a client last week call to cancel her home insurance. We always ask for a copy of the policy to make sure the coverage is comparable (this is an E & O exposure for us) or better then we had for them. Well this client was getting a $100 cheaper premium but the other agent had lowered her dwelling coverage by $70,000 and doubled her deductible. After pointing this out to her she decided to stay with us. Even after shopping and getting quotes ALWAYS ask for the quote in writing and read it and compare. Just because you told the other company what coverage you have does not mean they quote it the same way. I know this sounds like basic stuff but you would be amazed that most people just do not read or understand what they are purchasing. This is a form of bait and switch and the biggest offender I have ever seen of this has really cute commercials featuring a reptile. OK off my soapbox now:)

But shop, compare and make an educated decision based not only on price but coverage and claims service.

Computerizer said:
My premium for the LEAF is $292.90 for 6 months

By the way, I just tried getting a quote from Progressive for the exact same coverages as I have with Safeco. They wanted $690 for 6 months -- that's more than twice as much! And I don't think that Progressive would be offering much more -- I've been very happy with my Safeco agent and their claims service.

Clearly it pays to check out different insurance companies to make sure you're getting the best quote. Safeco at least doesn't seem to be afraid of the LEAF.

Back