Insurance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another factor to consider when shopping around for insurance for the LEAF is what level of coverage you want or are required to get. Even if you're happy with the legal minimum, you may be required to get a specific level of coverage in order to qualify for applicable incentives. For example, $100,000/$300,000 coverage is required in order to get the SJVAPCD $3,000 rebate.

johnr said:
For example, $100,000/$300,000 coverage is required in order to get the SJVAPCD $3,000 rebate.
In this day and age, I consider the 100/300K level to be "minimum" coverage, despite what the state allows, and all my cars are insured for that much. The cost is not all that much higher for increased limits if you compare, and if you are ever in a serious accident, it is amazing how quickly damages can add up. A friend of mine had to declare bankruptcy last year after an injury accident.

TT

USAA gave me an estimate. Replacing a 1998 Volvo C70 with a 2011 Leaf SV and driving less than 6000 miles a year (other car a 2006 Acura TSX) adds $69 every 6-mo. payment period above what we are currently paying. That includes 100/300/50 liability comprehensive, towing, collision.

They do not have the Leaf in their website database, so I had to call. The phone guy, who sounded like a kid right out of high school, was polite but useless. He first told me I could get the estimate online even though I told him it wasn't there, probably because it was an electric car. He then looked himself and informed me it was not in his database. Surprise. Then he asked me the make, model, and body style. I told him all those and mentioned again that it was an electric vehicle. Of course his next question was how many cylinders does it have. For the third time I told him it was electric and pointed out that that means it doesn't have cylinders. I don't think he has taken engineering or looked under the hood of a car. He seemed totally perplexed. Then he confirmed I was leasing. I said no, buying, which I had also told him twice. Then asked the name again L-E-A-F. He thought I said L-E-A-S even though I said F as in Frank. Finally he gave up and transferred me to an underwriter where I went through an almost identical process, including the cylinders question and the lease question. At the end I came away with an estimate but I have no confidence in it.

Rat said:
USAA gave me an estimate. Replacing a 1998 Volvo C70 with a 2011 Leaf SV and driving less than 6000 miles a year (other car a 2006 Acura TSX) adds $69 every 6-mo. payment period above what we are currently paying. That includes 100/300/50 liability comprehensive, towing, collision.

They do not have the Leaf in their website database, so I had to call. The phone guy, who sounded like a kid right out of high school, was polite but useless. He first told me I could get the estimate online even though I told him it wasn't there, probably because it was an electric car. He then looked himself and informed me it was not in his database. Surprise. Then he asked me the make, model, and body style. I told him all those and mentioned again that it was an electric vehicle. Of course his next question was how many cylinders does it have. For the third time I told him it was electric and pointed out that that means it doesn't have cylinders. I don't think he has taken engineering or looked under the hood of a car. He seemed totally perplexed. Then he confirmed I was leasing. I said no, buying, which I had also told him twice. Then asked the name again L-E-A-F. He thought I said L-E-A-S even though I said F as in Frank. Finally he gave up and transferred me to an underwriter where I went through an almost identical process, including the cylinders question and the lease question. At the end I came away with an estimate but I have no confidence in it.

When I called USAA about insuring the Aptera, they said "if it has a VIN number, we'll get you a quote". I don't plan on calling them unitl I have a real VIN number....from there, I'll probably have the same problems as you did. ;)

My sister is an insurance broker here in the Portland Metro Area and last weekend we chatted about the LEAF. She said that once I get a VIN to give her a call and she would first figure out the specifications of the vehicle and then contact each potential insurance company to get a quote. She also told me that a lot of 2010 VINs aren't in insurance databases yet and almost all 2011 vehicles aren't there, so they'll ask for the specifications and she'll run down the list with them.

One of the curious things she told me was that all vehicles "in the same class" will price out to be the same, regardless of fuel type and that the rate will vary a lot more based on traffic accidents/tickets for the last 6 years and especially how many miles I drive a day. Apparently most insurance companies like round-trip mileage to be between 10-20 miles per day! :eek:

I've never used an insurance broker before my sister started being one, but she was able to find a much better deal on my homeowners policy than I was able to find on my own. Brokers are much cooler than just agents! :D

I don't consider even that adequate in this day and age which is why I have an umbrella policy that covers my family, residence, boat, liability and cars. 100/300 will be gone in a flash and leave you personally exposed at that point. Most umbrellas do require you to carry 100/300 on your vehicles and kick in past that point.

Tom

ttweed said:
johnr said:
For example, $100,000/$300,000 coverage is required in order to get the SJVAPCD $3,000 rebate.
In this day and age, I consider the 100/300K level to be "minimum" coverage, despite what the state allows, and all my cars are insured for that much. The cost is not all that much higher for increased limits if you compare, and if you are ever in a serious accident, it is amazing how quickly damages can add up. A friend of mine had to declare bankruptcy last year after an injury accident.

TT

Rat said:

Why not save the $8/six months towing cost. Your Leaf will come with that courtesy of Nissan.

tcimpidis said:
I don't consider even that adequate in this day and age which is why I have a $1M umbrella policy that covers my family, residence, boat, liability and cars. 100/300 will be gone in a flash and leave you personally exposed at that point. Most umbrellas do require you to carry 100/300 on your vehicles and kicks in past that point.

Tom

ttweed said:
johnr said:

TT
Dude, maybe not smart to share that you have an umbrella policy. That makes you a deep-pockets target for the crooks.

EVDRIVER said:
I go up to 500K and an umbrella.

Hey, EVDriver, how you doing? Been a while. Maybe not the wisest thing to share that you have an umbrella policy. That makes you a deep-pockets target for the crooks. Things are not as anonymous as they seem in the blog-o-sphere.

EVLover said:
EVDRIVER said:
I go up to 500K and an umbrella.

Hey, EVDriver, how you doing? Been a while. Maybe not the wisest thing to share that you have an umbrella policy. That makes you a deep-pockets target for the crooks. Things are not as anonymous as they seem in the blog-o-sphere.

People sue everyone for everything, you can have next to nothing and be sued and have your wages attached for years. An umbrella has little to do with having anything. I have always had good insurance since I was 16, ten years ago.

rainnw said:
"in the same class" being, a 32k car, hybrid, or "in the same class" as a Versa? ;)
She considers in "in the same class" as a Versa. Actual retail price didn't play much into it. She did stress to make sure I either get "gap insurance" via the vehicle loan or via the car insurance she sets me up with.

I fail to see why some of you relish paying a lot more for an extreme level of insurance coverage. Your car is not worth $100,000! Drive safely and you won't get into an accident that you're responsible for - that's the best insurance you can get, and it costs nothing :)

johnr said:
I fail to see why some of you relish paying a lot more for an extreme level of insurance coverage. Your car is not worth $100,000! Drive safely and you won't get into an accident that you're responsible for - that's the best insurance you can get, and it costs nothing :)

Wow. I haven't seen such naive statements since the election.

The big coverage isn't for YOUR car, it's for the damage it could potentially inflict in an accident. A beater Civic can take out a schoolbus.
Do you have any idea how SMALL an injury can wipe out $100,000 with medical bills? Have you priced an ambulance ride lately?

If you think careful defensive driving will keep you out of a "shared fault" accident, think again. It's only luck that separates any of us from the lawyers and bankrupcy. Insurance is there to break your fall.

The CA mandatory 30/60/90 liability is a joke. It hasn't scaled with the times and medical costs, for sure.

Remember you are not insuring yourself, you are insuring against others. If you hit me and cause an injury, I can guarantee that my lawyer will be suing you for a lot more than $100,000 (let alone the state required minimum of 15/30). If he wins and that is all the insurance you have, you are now on the hook for the rest. Regardless of how good a driver someone may be, things happen.

johnr said:

EVLover said:
Maybe not the wisest thing to share that you have an umbrella policy. That makes you a deep-pockets target for the crooks. Things are not as anonymous as they seem in the blog-o-sphere.

I seriously doubt that crooks are trolling the Leaf Forums looking for victims with umbrella policies... Even if they were, of what value is that information going to be to them without a lot more details and some damn good timing...

GroundLoop said:
johnr said:

Wow. I haven't seen such naive statements since the election.

The big coverage isn't for YOUR car, it's for the damage it could potentially inflict in an accident. A beater Civic can take out a schoolbus.
Do you have any idea how SMALL an injury can wipe out $100,000 with medical bills? Have you priced an ambulance ride lately?

If you think careful defensive driving will keep you out of a "shared fault" accident, think again. It's only luck that separates any of us from the lawyers and bankrupcy. Insurance is there to break your fall.

The CA mandatory 30/60/90 liability is a joke. It hasn't scaled with the times and medical costs, for sure.

+1. In CA taking low liability is crazy. I also find it funny when people with expensive cars have no comprehensive or people scrimp on liability and get sues for what the insurance does not cover. Medical is one thing if you already have health insurance.

Guess it's time I take a closer look into insurance law. Just cause I haven't yet got into an accident my insurance wouldn't cover doesn't mean I should assume it will cover anything. Thanks :?

Back