Insurance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVLover said:
Why not save the $8/six months towing cost. Your Leaf will come with that courtesy of Nissan.
Good point. I think we are past the point when the Acura is covered and we did need it once for that car, but I suppose I can get one car with coverage and one without. I'm not sure if the savings is there. It may be that the cost for two cars is almost the same as for one. On the other hand, insurance companies may worry that normal tow services can't handle EVs and will charge extra because they think we'll have to hire someone from god-knows-where with special equipment that is more expensive, etc., or because we'll be running out of "fuel" more frequently.

Also, do not count on the other (at fault) driver having ANY insurance, or even having ANYONE to sue.

An illegal alien, with no drivers license or insurance, driving a "borrowed" truck ran a red light and totaled my wife's car, and the police just let him go, not even impounding the truck. Our insurance was stuck with the car replacement and medical bills.

garygid said:
Also, do not count on the other (at fault) driver having ANY insurance, or even having ANYONE to sue.

An illegal alien, with no drivers license or insurance, driving a "borrowed" truck ran a red light and totaled my wife's car, and the police just let him go, not even impounding the truck. Our insurance was stuck with the car replacement and medical bills.
Medical bills for whom ? Not the illegal alien, I hope :!:

do you plan to run over these guys: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/02/1954921/nasa-new-find-a-big-deal-really.html? :D

LEAFer said:
garygid said:

Medical bills for whom ? Not the illegal alien, I hope :!:

With the value of the batteries in a Leaf being so high - makes you wonder if any Leafs will be stolen just for the batteries. Hopefully not - that would really jack up the insurance rates, but living in California where robbers armed with machine guns steal memory chips one has to ponder these things.

LakeLeaf said:
With the value of the batteries in a Leaf being so high - makes you wonder if any Leafs will be stolen just for the batteries. Hopefully not - that would really jack up the insurance rates, but living in California where robbers armed with machine guns steal memory chips one has to ponder these things.

there is no doubt they will be. thieves raid new construction for copper so dont put ANYTHING past them.

watch for tweekers, meth heads, etc. the drug fries their brain and compromises their thought processes.

Yep, which is why Uninsured Motorist coverage is so important. Here in Los Angeles, it is far more likely that the driver who hits me WILL be uninsured at the very least...

Tom

garygid said:

Insurance companies will leave you high and dry if you have minimum insurance with them. The main reason for the umbrella policy is to insure that the companies are on the hook for a substantial amount. That way you are going to get their best lawyers if you need them and they won't do, to you what they did to my cousin.

She got in an court trial over an accident with someone and wanted to dispute it in court. She only had minimum coverage, so the insurance company simply settled out for the $30k of her coverage and left her in the lurch to cover the remainder of the costs (which turned out to be more than double her policy).

Cheap coverage == insurance company will tend to settle the matter leaving you basically on your own.

Back