iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys and girls. New here and just got my US Leaf that was imported to Iceland (yes cold and batterilife not as good as in the warm), I have already bought the app from Appstore and admire the work Turbo3 have put into this.

My question is as no one on Amzon ship those OBD2 modules to Iceland I wanted to know if any brands or types are a no no for IOS devices before I order some from Chine through eBay and wait 2-3 weeks. Also, do you need exstendion cable for the OBD moduel or is that not nessasary?

Was DropBox support available in 1.0.10? Since .12 expired, I fell back to .10 but seem to have lost drop box connectivity?

Thanks,

J.

snuddi said:
... Also, do you need exstendion cable for the OBD moduel or is that not nessasary?
The extension cable is a good idea to not have the adapter sticking out of the port and to minimize wear and tear on the port if you need to unplug the adapter to clear a hangup.
But extension cable is not required.

snuddi said:
Hi guys and girls. New here and just got my US Leaf that was imported to Iceland (yes cold and batterilife not as good as in the warm), I have already bought the app from Appstore and admire the work Turbo3 have put into this.

My question is as no one on Amzon ship those OBD2 modules to Iceland I wanted to know if any brands or types are a no no for IOS devices before I order some from Chine through eBay and wait 2-3 weeks. Also, do you need exstendion cable for the OBD moduel or is that not nessasary?
I have not found any WiFi OBDII adapters that have not worked. If you get one of the short adapters then you will not need an extension cable. If you get a long one it will stick out about 2.5"/7cm so an extension cable would be needed to keep from having your knee hit it while driving.

Having said that I would not get the PLX KIWI 2 which has an attached cable as it has an additional step on the iOS Settings panel you need to perform each time you manually connect it to the PLX. Also avoid the Vgate iCar adapter. When it goes to sleep you need to unplug and re-plug it to wake it up again (the button they have does not wake it up).

jhm614 said:
Was DropBox support available in 1.0.10? Since .12 expired, I fell back to .10 but seem to have lost drop box connectivity?

Thanks,

J.
No, Dropbox is not available on 1.0.10 only the newer test versions.

I am just finishing up another beta release 1.0.13. When that comes out this week you will get Dropbox support back with additional improvements.

gor29 said:
I'm a soon to be leaf owner. Do people keep leafspy running all the time as a more accurate estimate/display of remaining miles? If so, would it be a problem to use this iphone app but at the same time be streaming music over LTE to bluetooth? How about if using the iphone as navigation at the same time?

What I am trying to determine if there are iphone connectivity limitations that would make it better to simply get a cheap old android phone dedicated for leafspy.

I wanted to share my experience.

I ordered ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 for my iPhone for < $20. It sticks out a little from the port.

Leafspy worked great but I could not simultaneously use LTE (for updating maps, streaming music, etc.) and connect to this OBD2 device through wifi until I did the following:

Under wifi settings when connected to the OBD2 device:
IP Address: 192.168.0.150
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
(possibly) router: 192.168.0.10

This only had to be set once, and each time after, my iPhone would automatically connect to the device in this way. All I have to do is open leafspy, and it's not a problem for background LTE usage while leafspy is open.

gor29 said:
gor29 said:
I'm a soon to be leaf owner. Do people keep leafspy running all the time as a more accurate estimate/display of remaining miles? If so, would it be a problem to use this iphone app but at the same time be streaming music over LTE to bluetooth? How about if using the iphone as navigation at the same time?

What I am trying to determine if there are iphone connectivity limitations that would make it better to simply get a cheap old android phone dedicated for leafspy.

I wanted to share my experience.

I ordered ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 for my iPhone for < $20. It sticks out a little from the port.

Leafspy worked great but I could not simultaneously use LTE (for updating maps, streaming music, etc.) and connect to this OBD2 device through wifi until I did the following:

Under wifi settings when connected to the OBD2 device:
IP Address: 192.168.0.150
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
(possibly) router: 192.168.0.10

This only had to be set once, and each time after, my iPhone would automatically connect to the device in this way. All I have to do is open leafspy, and it's not a problem for background LTE usage while leafspy is open.
If you go to the LeafSpy WiFi Help screen you will find the same setup instructions but you don't need to set the Router address. You can leave Router blank and it still works. But in this case 192.168.9.10 is the WiFi adapter so it does work just not needed.

If you don't set it up this way iOS will try to use the OBDII WiFi to connect to the Internet.

Answering comment I started in Lite forum about using LeagSpy Pro during charge

I did another charge and seemed to make progress.
My logging was set up correctly for tracking and logging.
I got on iTunes and was able to access the files. That process is ready.

This time I may not have followed scientific discipline and varied from process.
- instead of going to run after initiating charging, I think I had foot off brake pedal and went to ACC instead
- I did not get a warning message and the LeafSpy started a connection
- I hit start again, no warning and went into run. Maintained connection
- I shutdown and maintained connection
- each of the actions, including remote door locking, generated little blips on the kW graph showing charge power.

I did not see your note about keeping LeafSpy in foreground on IOS. I lost connection when I started doing other things, check e-mails, initiating the Carwings app to verify charging, etc. I believe I got connection back when I went back to the app, got a few more seconds on graph and then lost it.

I likely should do another run with better control over run initiation and app in foreground. It clearly tracked the charge process for awhile. Besides the kW, I watch the gids and SOC rise over the 250 seconds I had connection.
It is likely operator error, but I also don't want to waste analysis if control parameters varied.
Thanks.

Just finished successfully testing the improved Tire Registration process. Now I just need to document all the changes since the last test version and then I can release the code for testing. It also includes changes to background operation so it stays active only as long as it stays connected to the Leaf WiFi. This prevents draining your battery by not allowing LeafSpy continue to run when you are out of range of the Leaf. As in the previous test version you enable background processing by enabling the option to always keep GPS active. This tells iOS to let LeafSpy continue to run in the background. In iOS you must have a valid reason to run in the background and using GPS qualifies as one.

Should the iKKEGOL WiFi OBD-II ODB2 Car Diagnostics Tool for Apple iPad iPhone iPod Touch PC IOS Andorid Phone (Black) work OK?
http://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-OBD-II-Diagnostics-iPhone-Andorid/dp/B00MTH73O8/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431707886&sr=1-4&keywords=obd2+ios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Turbo3 said:
I have not found any WiFi OBDII adapters that have not worked. ...

Having said that I would not get the PLX KIWI 2 which has an attached cable ...

Yodrak said:
Should the iKKEGOL WiFi OBD-II ODB2 Car Diagnostics Tool for Apple iPad iPhone iPod Touch PC IOS Andorid Phone (Black) work OK?
http://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-OBD-II-Diagnostics-iPhone-Andorid/dp/B00MTH73O8/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431707886&sr=1-4&keywords=obd2+ios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Turbo3 said:

As I said I have not found any that don't work so most likely it will. I did find this one that looks the same but $2 less so I ordered one for testing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8T51Y6?psc=1

This time I was more rigorous with the test controls on running LeafSpy during charge
- I did go directly to run, received the warning, shut down vehicle and lost connection after 1 minute
- I then went to ACC, established connection, got no warning, shut down vehicle and lost connection after one minute
- accidentally I tested pushing on brake pedal with no other action. I established connection.
- release of brake pedal caused connection to stop after 15-20 seconds
- keeping brake pedal pressed maintained connection for 1 minute. Pressing the brake pedal again established a connection with above pattern. I believe I could continue the pattern indefinitely through the charge.
- these actions registered on graph with tiny bumps.

I should have the files. One other event occurred about same time as when I saved records from earlier attempts. Probably coincidentally, but my LeafSpy app on iPhone6 became corrupted. I did not lose any data since I had already saved the trip logs to my regular computer. I downloaded the app and restored connection with no issue except data on iPhone was gone.

I assume it was corrupted in that my attempt to open app triggered an immediate stop. Perhaps my iTunes actions affected a key file.

Turbo3 said:
Yodrak said:

Thanks
As I said I have not found any that don't work so most likely it will. I did find this one that looks the same but $2 less so I ordered one for testing.

Thanks for the reply. I'll report back when I get mine and try to set it up.

mjblazin said:
This time I was more rigorous with the test controls on running LeafSpy during charge
- I did go directly to run, received the warning, shut down vehicle and lost connection after 1 minute
- I then went to ACC, established connection, got no warning, shut down vehicle and lost connection after one minute
- accidentally I tested pushing on brake pedal with no other action. I established connection.
- keeping brake pedal pressed maintained connection for 1 minute. Pressing the brake pedal again established a connection with above pattern. I believe I could continue the pattern indefinitely through the charge.

I should have the files. One other event occurred about same time as when I saved records from earlier attempts. Probably coincidentally, but my LeafSpy app on iPhone6 became corrupted. I did not lose any data since I had already saved the trip logs to my regular computer. I downloaded the app and restored connection with no issue except data on iPhone was gone.

I assume it was corrupted in that my attempt to open app triggered an immediate stop. Perhaps my iTunes actions affected a key file.
Did you take an ELM trace? I need to see that to know what is going on.

Turbo3 said:
Yodrak said:

Thanks

Turbo3 said:

Just received this WiFi Super OBD mini adapter. Very small but performance is slow at an 8 second loop time compared to 3.5 seconds for the full size LYL WiFi adapter I normally use. For some reason it came with a large fabric bag with pull strings to close. Never seen that before. The bag would hold a half dozen or more of the mini adapters.

Turbo3 said:
mjblazin said:

I have a LOG_DC405999_150516 and a TRC_150516.

mjblazin said:
Turbo3 said:
mjblazin said:

I have a LOG_DC405999_150516 and a TRC_150516.
Please send them to me. (email address is on the About screen)

I have a question about the elevation readings from the trip log...

I make a round trip every day to our mailbox to pick up our mail, about 2 miles away. I start the trip from my garage and I end the trip at my garage. Sometimes I leave the car running the whole time, sometimes I turn it off while sitting in the parking lot of our mail box. Either way, I would expect the net elevation from the trip(s) to be ZERO, but yet that is never the case.

Can you explain how the elevation readings work and why a round trip would not result in a net zero elevation?

vrwl said:
I have a question about the elevation readings from the trip log...

I make a round trip every day to our mailbox to pick up our mail, about 2 miles away. I start the trip from my garage and I end the trip at my garage. Sometimes I leave the car running the whole time, sometimes I turn it off while sitting in the parking lot of our mail box. Either way, I would expect the net elevation from the trip(s) to be ZERO, but yet that is never the case.

Can you explain how the elevation readings work and why a round trip would not result in a net zero elevation?
The elevation data comes from your iOS device. Depending on the startup time of GPS and number of GPS satellites in view the accuracy may vary quite a bit.

The accuracy reported by the iOS GPS is displayed a the top of the elevation screen (+/-) and normally starts out large and gets better over time. Best to use the option to always keep GPS active while the iOS device is in range of the Leaf WiFi adapter so GPS does not need to start over looking for satellites.

GPS altitude is also inherently less accurate than position. Its basically a matter of triangulation. When calculating position the GPS usually has access to data from satellites in all four quadrants (+/-x and +/-y relative to your position) allowing for the best possible accuracy. When calculating altitude there are by definition only satellites in two quadrants (none below ground level) so accuracy is not as good.

http://gpsinformation.net/main/altitude.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is why many higher end GPS units targetting activities like hiking / biking / flying that are more altitude dependent add a barometric altimeter for increased accuracy.

Rob

Back