iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm the exact situation as epirali. same GPS issue, same privacy setting issue, same phone and same iOS version. I'll await a new version and re-check this. Thanks so much!

Curt

While I wait for Apple to release the next test version (1.0.8) I have added a new feature to the version after that.

This was requested yesterday by a new user who purchased LeafSpy before he purchased the Leaf just to be ready.

On screen 4, the summary screen, we already have the option to show the current trip distance and efficiency in the left side area above the battery graphic. It has no label now but I have added the word "Trip" to it. The new feature adds a "Charge" information field. Like the Trip field it will show distance and efficiency but now covering the period from last charge so over many trips.

Since you probably don't run LeafSpy while charging charge detection will be done when you start up the Leaf. At that time if LeafSpy see that the Gids have increased by more than 10 Gids from the last trip it will assume a charge has taken place and record the Gids and odometer reading. These values will then be used to display the distance traveled on this charge and the efficiency (Gids/Distance).

I have not yet tested the code out but will try to do it in the next few days to see how well this auto charge detection logic works.

This will be in version 1.0.9 along with an improvement to the Alternate method for reading PSI that should work on newer Leafs that have user controlled tire registration controlled from the Leaf dash.

Turbo3 said:
epirali said:
One more question: I may be missing something but I am having issues with GPS data. Initially I had not enabled access to GPS, and now that I have I can never get the app to use the GPS.

Am I missing something?
Can you go to the Privacy Settings and select Location Services (which should be On). Under the list of installed apps that want to access location data you should find LeafSpy if not let me know. For LeafSpy what does it list for the permission (Blank, Never, While Using, Always, On, Off or something else)?

After doing some testing I think you will find the permission field blank. Select 'While Using" and it should start working.

There is a bug in the code that should trigger the popup from iOS for you to give permission for LeafSpy to use Location data. Will be fixed in next release. For now people will need to manually give permission to LeafSpy in the Privacy Settings.

I was having an issue with GPS appearing to be off for this app too. I checked the Privacy settings for the app and it defaults to a blank entry.

Also, the only options for that setting are Never or Always, there is no option for While Using.

joeriv said:
I found this comment on Amazon re this device:

"If you leave this plugged in all the time, does it automatically come on (send the WiFi signal) when you start up the car?

A: Yes, it will, but it need connect via software, not your phones WiFi directly, thanks. Wu Wensheng answered on February 25, 2015"

A little cryptic but it seems that what I and others experienced is how it works.

ROFL!!! I'm the one who posted that question on Amazon. :) I got a semi-crappy answer which didn't really correctly define how the device actually works.

vrwl said:
Turbo3 said:
epirali said:
One more question: I may be missing something but I am having issues with GPS data. Initially I had not enabled access to GPS, and now that I have I can never get the app to use the GPS.

Am I missing something?
Can you go to the Privacy Settings and select Location Services (which should be On). Under the list of installed apps that want to access location data you should find LeafSpy if not let me know. For LeafSpy what does it list for the permission (Blank, Never, While Using, Always, On, Off or something else)?

After doing some testing I think you will find the permission field blank. Select 'While Using" and it should start working.

There is a bug in the code that should trigger the popup from iOS for you to give permission for LeafSpy to use Location data. Will be fixed in next release. For now people will need to manually give permission to LeafSpy in the Privacy Settings.

I was having an issue with GPS appearing to be off for this app too. I checked the Privacy settings for the app and it defaults to a blank entry.

Also, the only options for that setting are Never or Always, there is no option for While Using.
Retest with today's release of version 1.0.8.

I can also confirm that the GPS/elevation graph is working great! Thanks Turbo3.

So is this using phone data from my phone plan?

Curt

finman100 said:
I can also confirm that the GPS/elevation graph is working great! Thanks Turbo3.

So is this using phone data from my phone plan?

Curt
No phone data from your phone plan. It does use GPS data from your phone.

Perhaps in the future there might be an option to store data on the cloud in which case your data plan would be used if not on local WiFi network.

The plan is to release 1.0.9 tonight which has improved logic for the Use Alternate method to read PSI function on newer model Leafs in the UK and perhaps other places but that is the only place reporting a problem. It also has the new Charge usage data (distance traveled on charge and efficiency). So you have the option to view Trip or per Charge usage.

Once that is checked out I think we are ready to try for a real release to iTunes and see if Apple objects to anything which could take days or weeks before I hear back from them.

If anyone sees anything I missed fixing let me know ASAP.

I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality of these releases. Well done! Can't wait to buy it in th App Store.

Please please do consider moving forward with a cloud upload. I presume there is no way to get the iPhone to automatically upload the log files anywhere and plugging into iTunes is required. It was very nice to be able to sync the android version using Dropbox.

I also am really looking forward to automatic reporting of my battery capacity stats/etc so that PlugInAmerica's battery capacity survey can have automated data. Also look forward to being able to track and see graphs of my own capacity loss.

Thanks!

Log to the cloud is an interesting idea. How about anonymous, aggregate stat collection as well? Make it a check box option, defaulted to off. I'd participate!

Version 1.0.10 is now waiting to be reviewed for release to the App Store.

Just added Dropbox access support to LeafSpy Pro. The basics are there although the app exits after you go through the authorization step where you allow LeafSpy to access to your Dropbox. The next time you start the app it can upload files to your Dropbox. For testing I just uploaded the help file which works. Files are saved to a new folder named Apps/LeafSpy Pro. LeafSpy only has access to files in that folder.

Now that Dropbox access is working I am trying to decide what and how to upload files. I could create a sync routine that compares the files in Dropbox with the local Shared Folder files that LeafSpy creates. Perhaps sync it every minute or some user defined time interval. Actually I don't think I have access to the file time stamps so that really won't work. Will need to do some more digging to see what is possible.

===================================
Actually I can get the time stamps but not much use since creation on iOS device and creation in Dropbox are not the same for the same file name. I will just use file size. That should work and all the files we are interested in get bigger when updated. Should have something working tonight.

I will not be able to release a new test version until Apple releases the iTunes version 1.0.10. If I try to upload a new binary now it will cancel the 1.0.10 binary that is waiting for review.

I now have sync to Dropbox working.

Once per minute the app will check if any files have changed size from what is in the app's Dropbox folder. If they don't exist or have changed size they will be copied over.

The final version will let you decide which files type you would liked sync'd. There are three folders.

* "Log Files" which will hold the Log_*.csv files
* "Charge & Elevation Logs" which will hold any saved charge or elevation/speed *.csv files
* "Trace Files" which will hold any ELM trace files TRC_*.txt

The TripChrgLog file will be in the top level folder (/Apps/LeafSpy Pro).

Sync interval will probably have several settings (every 1, 5, 10 or 15 minutes). Probably an option to register your home network. You can then select sync only when on home network for those with no data plan or don't want to use their data plan while driving. So when you get within range of your home network the files will sync. Hopefully before you turn off the app/phone.

All I need to do now is update the Settings menu with a new Dropbox control panel with all the above options.

This took a lot less time than I was expecting. There does not seem to be any significant load on the app as a result of reading/writing all the directory and file information as it is already located on the device's copy of the Dropbox. Somehow I was originally thinking that the app would be reading and writing to the Cloud which would slow down the app. But all that happens outside the app in the background.

Wow, that was quick! I'm not familiar with how apps putting stuff in Dropbox on the iPhone. It sounds like that causes Dropbox to startup in the background and sync on its own? Can't wait to test, hopefully Apple approves this version for the public!

Turbo3 said:
Version 1.0.10 is now waiting to be reviewed for release to the App Store.

Just added Dropbox access support to LeafSpy Pro.
Wow, you are really making amazing progress on this. Let me add my thanks to the long list of people greatful for this tool. I'll buy it once its out but will likely keep running the Android version on my old Garminfone which is dedicated to this task. I hope you bring some of the exciting new features (and a bug fix for the temp sensor which of course I notice now that its been pointed it out) over to Android version. I own 3 bluetooth OBDII connectors, guess now I need a WiFi one to check out the new version on iPhone! I hope its a great success.

BTW thanks to all you who have been willing to beta test. As I've followed this thread it sounds the resulting first release version will be ready for primetime.

Turbo3 said:
I now have sync to Dropbox working.

Once per minute the app will check if any files have changed size from what is in the app's Dropbox folder. If they don't exist or have changed size they will be copied over.

The final version will let you decide which files type you would liked sync'd. There are three folders.

* "Log Files" which will hold the Log_*.csv files
* "Charge & Elevation Logs" which will hold any saved charge or elevation/speed *.csv files
* "Trace Files" which will hold any ELM trace files TRC_*.txt

The TripChrgLog file will be in the top level folder (/Apps/LeafSpy Pro).

Sync interval will probably have several settings (every 1, 5, 10 or 15 minutes). Probably an option to register your home network. You can then select sync only when on home network for those with no data plan or don't want to use their data plan while driving. So when you get within range of your home network the files will sync. Hopefully before you turn off the app/phone.

All I need to do now is update the Settings menu with a new Dropbox control panel with all the above options.

This took a lot less time than I was expecting. There does not seem to be any significant load on the app as a result of reading/writing all the directory and file information as it is already located on the device's copy of the Dropbox. Somehow I was originally thinking that the app would be reading and writing to the Cloud which would slow down the app. But all that happens outside the app in the background.

Wow! That was quick! Guess it's time for me to set up a Dropbox account. :)

Back