Isn’t 5.3 Miles/kWh better than 4.2 Miles/kWh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafErricson

Since my factory recall software update, I have:
1. lost about 15-20% battery capacity
2. while increasing efficiency 25%
3 and losing 2 regen circles: 1 above ~15 miles/hour and 1 until battery capacity is less than 8 miles or so (previously all 4 were available at or below
80%). Discussed elsewhere on this site

For my first 2 years of ownership of my 2011 Leaf (25 000 miles), I have generally been getting 4.2 miles/KWh. After charging, I would almost always get 80 miles (@80%) and 98 miles (@100%) displayed on the guess-o-meter (GOM). Actual miles would be 70 miles (when charged to 80%) and 85 (@100%).

At my 2 year battery inspection, my Leaf received the factory recall software update.

_____________Miles/KWh___GOM_____GOM______Miles/SOC Bar____Miles/SOCBar
__________________________@80%______@100%____Used____________Avail
1st 2 years........4.2..............80........... 100..............7.........................8
Since update.....5.3..............67..............78............5.03.......................7

SOC Bar Used/Avail means the SOC bars on the right of the dash (12 bars available). Regardless of what Nissan tells me, my experience has been that the bars are fairly linear and I can match the mileage used by comparing my tripmeter display and multiplying the number of bars extinguished by 5 (previously 7).

To obtain the chart below, I zero out the tripmeter every morning and reset the Average Efficiency display (Miles/KWh). I check that I have 10 bars for 80% charge and 12 bars for 100% charge (this has never been an issue).

Each battery inspection has been 5 stars for all tests. I have all 12 capacity bars showing.

My route has been the same for the last 2.5 years. It is relatively flat and speeds are less than 45 miles/hour. Weather is fairly moderate: mostly 40’s to low 50’s (F) in winter and less than 80(F) in summer. Throughout the data compilation, heat and air conditioning was not used.

My most recent trip that I travelled highway speeds (60 mph) I initially charged to 100% for a 50 mile round trip. I made it to 45 miles and had to recharge with 4 miles available showing.

Nissan dealership and ‘customer service’ tells me nothing is wrong. I tried to send them pictures of the car displays which they said they didn’t need. I don’t believe my driving habits nor the usage of the Leaf has changed.

It just seems illogical if I’m getting on the order of 5 Miles/KWh and the usable battery capacity is 20 kWh, I should be getting more than 50 miles on an 80% charge.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

XeonPony,
Thanks for your reply. However, I am more concerned with total, actual mileage slipping to 5 miles/kWh (vs. 7 I was seeing before the update) and a total range down to 55 miles on a full charge than what the guestimate (conservative or not) is.

LeafErricson said:
Thanks for your reply. However, I am more concerned with total, actual mileage slipping to 5 miles/kWh (vs. 7 I was seeing before the update) and a total range down to 55 miles on a full charge than what the guestimate (conservative or not) is.
Get a Gid meter or equivalent to see what is going on (although you won't be able to compare before and after since you don't have readings from prior to the P3227 update. I wouldn't rely on the Guess-o-meter for anything; you need to see how many Gids you have left.

Back