It's your duty to drive FAST !!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theaveng said:
Nubo said:
As I began to pass a fellow in a crossover, he suddenly sped up, zoomed dangerously around me and got into the HOV lane in front of me, even though he clearly was the sole occupant. I could see him yelling as he did so. Either he disagreed with the HOV privilege, was determined not to be passed by me in my God-d***** Obamacar
Or maybe the guy in front of him suddenly braked, and he was swerving into the HOV in order to avoid a collision.

I thought I was clear. I had begun to pass by him; he accelerated to overtake and then swung around in front of me.

Herm said:
Remove all the provocative decals from the Leaf

I did exactly that early on, because people tend to glom on to the "zero emission" statement. And they do have a point but I got tired of the argument. I even removed the one from the "valve cover". :p

blly.jpg

I did go stealth for a bit but decided to at least display the LEAF logo.

ebill3 said:
mwalsh said:
Whereas I hope he dies early, of a heart attack, leaving a grieving wife and kids. And not one of those quiet heart attacks either, where you slip away quietly in the middle of the night. I want the full on; chest grabbing; writhing around in agonizing pain for quite a while edition.
Ouch!

A bit harsh, don't you think?

Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of a Fred Sanford heart attack -- no permanent damage :)

fred-sanford-heart-attack-o.gif

mwalsh said:
Nubo said:
Hope he's feeling better.

Whereas I hope he dies early, of a heart attack, leaving a grieving wife and kids. And not one of those quiet heart attacks either, where you slip away quietly in the middle of the night. I want the full on; chest grabbing; writhing around in agonizing pain for quite a while edition.
You left out, "veins bulging on the sides of his temples and neck"
:?
theaveng said:
Nubo said:
As I began to pass a fellow in a crossover, he suddenly sped up, zoomed dangerously around me and got into the HOV lane in front of me, even though he clearly was the sole occupant. I could see him yelling as he did so. Either he disagreed with the HOV privilege, was determined not to be passed by me in my God-d***** Obamacar
Or maybe the guy in front of him suddenly braked, and he was swerving into the HOV in order to avoid a collision.
Right ... or maybe his car was possesed by a ghost ... and he could see it ... and he was only yelling at the ghost.
;)

Nubo said:
people tend to glom on to the "zero emission" statement. And they do have a point but I got tired of the argument.
"I recharge with solar panels" kills the it's-not-zero emission argument instantly. (Doesn't matter if it's true or not... just a fast way to shut them up.)

I allowed a friend who has a Dodge Challenger drive the LEAF the other night with myself and 2 other big guys (950 lbs of men) in the car, and he floored it on the Turnpike to reach 94 mph for about 15 miles or so until traffic made him slow to 80 or so. Everyone was dazzled.

I most definitely enjoy flooring it at lights when I am the first car in a lane, especially when it's a Porche or a BMW. i will admit to going the speed limit on the fwy to maximize range, but usually only on the way to work because I never know if I will get a charging station.

But taking off from stop signs and from lights at full speed is just an awesome feeling. If I ever have to make a last minute lane change, it's easy to do thanks to the instant torque. Most fossil fuel drivers don't even know what happened by the time I've made my move.

But honestly, I don't get treated poorly by other drivers just because I am in a Leaf. If your car has a bunch of bumper stickers on the back rubbing it in that your car doesn't use gas, then I would not be surprised that people would get pissed off. But nobody gives a rat about the zero emission label, so I see no need to remove these. I will most definitely resist the temptation of putting any bumper stickers on the back of the car.

If you want some respect, may I suggest a custom sticker that reads "Angry White Guy driving an Electric Car, keep your distance".

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
I will be the odd man out here. I drive 52 MPH in the right hand lane of the freeway (405 and 101) when traffic allows me to go that fast, which it often doesn't. I ease out from stop lights, let others race pass me, then often pass them stopped at the next light because I have looked ahead and not wasted energy racing up to a stop. The example I am setting: energy of various kinds will probably be more limited as the years go by, so use it wisely. Surprisingly, I often find other cars content to go the same speed and not eager to pass. This is a very relaxing way to drive and only increases my commute time from 32 minutes to 37 minutes (average).

However, I do talk to anyone who asks about my Leaf, enthusiastically but realistic about the limitations of the current EV. A lot of people are fascinated and I can see their minds doing the computation, "Would this work for me?" I think this sort of "evangelism"--plus giving rides to family and friends--is a lot more important. People experience the Leaf as a real car, especially when they ride in it. I do briefly show them what the car can do if you want to zip away from a stop. They are uniformly impressed by the rapid acceleration from a stop. After taking a test ride, my sister-in-law told my brother, "We should get an EV for our next car."

Same here, love it when someone speeds by me, and i get to meet them it stoplight, with my prius i was out for best mpg, with leaf i. Looking to get best use of kw, (pretty sure what that is caused, im at 3.9 and trying to do better.

Caracalover said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html

Writer started mistaking right and left after the first paragraph. What a rube!

She could probably get out of that ticket on speedometer inaccuracy alone. Federal regs allow a speedo to read +/- 10% of actual speed.

mwalsh said:
Caracalover said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html

She could probably get out of that ticket on speedometer inaccuracy alone. Federal regs allow a speedo to read +/- 10% of actual speed.

And if not she will get out of the ticket because she was above the posted minimum speed for interstate traffic.

Regarding refuting the environmental criticism about charging the car, I carry an 8"x10" color photograph of our 6.7 kW roof mounted solar system in the trunk along with a bunch of other pages pertaining to EVs. And even if I am away from my house getting a charge, my system is still adding that same amount of energy to the grid, so I really count our LEAF as being solar powered. Thus, no one has ever won that argument with me.

ERG4ALL said:
Regarding refuting the environmental criticism about charging the car, I carry an 8"x10" color photograph of our 6.7 kW roof mounted solar system in the trunk along with a bunch of other pages pertaining to EVs. And even if I am away from my house getting a charge, my system is still adding that same amount of energy to the grid, so I really count our LEAF as being solar powered. Thus, no one has ever won that argument with me.

I similarly follow up describing my Leaf by immediately noting that I charge it exclusively from my photo voltaic system. I have learned to quickly add a parenthetical, solar panels. It was interesting to discover how many people do not know what a photo voltaic system is.

Caracalover said:

IMO, she deserved the ticket for impeding traffic. In AZ, if she had been going the speed limit, she couldn't have been ticketed. We don't have the move to the right except for passing law even though most drivers do. If she needed to.slow down, she should have moved over.

ksnogas2112 said:
mwalsh said:
Caracalover said:

And if not she will get out of the ticket because she was above the posted minimum speed for interstate traffic.

No, she won't. The officer is correct. She was impeding traffic by going below the speed limit. If she had moved over, then there's no violation.

LEAFfan said:
Caracalover said:

IMO, she deserved the ticket for impeding traffic. In AZ, if she had been going the speed limit, she couldn't have been ticketed. We don't have the move to the right except for passing law even though most drivers do. If she needed to.slow down, she should have moved over.
Seems to me she would only deserve a ticket if she didn't move over after an extended period of driving considerably below the posted speed limit (45 in a 65 zone), not for driving just 2 miles under the limit.

Why is it that drivers no longer understand the meaning of "limit?" Why bother to post a limit if law enforcement allows speeders the freedom to speed and tickets dopey drivers for going slightly too slow in the passing lane? If anything, her infraction was her inability to recognize the need to yield the lane/move over to let other traffic pass (going 65, of course!). Going 63 shouldn't have been an issue. In all fairness, had she moved over while doing 63, those drivers who then exceeded the 65 mph limit in that lane should have all gotten tickets! It appears to me she was only impeding speeders! :lol:

eclecticflower said:
Going 63 shouldn't have been an issue. In all fairness, had she moved over while doing 63, those drivers who then exceeded the 65 mph limit in that lane should have all gotten tickets! It appears to me she was only impeding speeders! :lol:
Ha, maybe that's why the officer gave her a ticket. She was impeding traffic to the point that he wasn't catching anybody. :eek: But seriously, in WA I believe that there is a law requiring that the left lane only be used for passing.

Back