July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know a good RSS feed with the monthly and annual EV sales (like the OP so graciously provides us each month)? I would like to add it to my Internet feeds so I can see it in the car.

Thanks,
Josh

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, but you just said you thought sales were not "supply constrained?" when it appears supply is not sufficient to provide nationwide distribution?
What about this for for supply constrain. In late 2010 it was announced that Leaf Oppama output will be 4K/mo for the start. Let assume that number was/is constant (which is not normal after lunching product globally). 4 mo of 2010 and another 18 till today. Total output should be 88K. Because of disruptions of different nature let assume that 50% was in fact produced. Nissan recently announced 32K sold globally, therefore there is 12K for sale, presumably on dealers lots.

the supply around here is still a bit wonky. i have to widen my search to cover two major areas to get over 100 vehicles (136 covering the Pacific Northwest from Everett, WA to Portland OR.) a search for used vehicles only shows 4.

using cars.com. is there a better way to do inventory searches? because not sure i can believe these results. they have 2012 SL's listed at $30,000 new which have to be with tax credit already deducted. also, it lists NOTHING new or used for my local dealer in Oly and last time i was by there (Friday) they had 3 (red, black and white)

now their webpage (dont trust ANY car dealers webpage. they are normally out of date!!) lists 4. all blue, all exact same price. i b willing to bet they aint got a blue one on their lot. half tempted to jump in the car right now and go check them out

On the whole sales thing about EV's or even the Volt; thought this was an interesting mention in the local Chicago Tribune yesterday (longer more detailed story below found later) ... gas prices go down a bit and more SUV's in queue once again (GM adding workers to their large SUV plant ...). Saw yet another new Volt today on my way into work but nary a new LEAF to be seen (once again it's the midwest but would hate to say that my car is a 'rare sight' but it is!!)

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/06/22/4053205/gm-adding-800-jobs-at-arlington.html

With more recent mideast troubles perhaps we'll see a .25 to .50 per gallon hike over the short term but as some places are seeing less than $3/gal gas this won't spike any more demand. Still no question that I'm happy with my choice for the LEAF (even with temp's over a 100 we're still quite comfortable and still no gas) but still appears to be a no starter to even consider a 'pure' EV for some folks.

redLEAF said:
On the whole sales thing about EV's or even the Volt; thought this was an interesting mention in the local Chicago Tribune yesterday (longer more detailed story below found later) ... gas prices go down a bit and more SUV's in queue once again (GM adding workers to their large SUV plant ...). Saw yet another new Volt today on my way into work but nary a new LEAF to be seen (once again it's the midwest but would hate to say that my car is a 'rare sight' but it is!!)

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/06/22/4053205/gm-adding-800-jobs-at-arlington.html

With more recent mideast troubles perhaps we'll see a .25 to .50 per gallon hike over the short term but as some places are seeing less than $3/gal gas this won't spike any more demand. Still no question that I'm happy with my choice for the LEAF (even with temp's over a 100 we're still quite comfortable and still no gas) but still appears to be a no starter to even consider a 'pure' EV for some folks.
Although the incremental dip is likely to be in the noise, I wonder if areas affected by the big power outages will see a dip in BEV sales in the next month or two, as people who might have been considering one decide against because they wouldn't have been able to get to work, run errands etc. without a lot of inconvenience (i.e. sharing one ICE between two people after the BEV's battery was depleted).

GRA said:
I wonder if areas affected by the big power outages will see a dip in BEV sales in the next month or two, as people who might have been considering one decide against because they wouldn't have been able to get to work, run errands etc. without a lot of inconvenience (i.e. sharing one ICE between two people after the BEV's battery was depleted).
You can't pump gas when the power is out. When we had a power outage there were an unbelievable number of ICE vehicles which ran out of gas. But probably most people wouldn't understand this.

True, but most ICEs don't need to fuel up every or every other day... With a tank of gas, my ice would easily take me through a week whereas I need to charge the Leaf every night for the same journey...

SanDust said:
You can't pump gas when the power is out.

SanDust said:
GRA said:
I wonder if areas affected by the big power outages will see a dip in BEV sales in the next month or two, as people who might have been considering one decide against because they wouldn't have been able to get to work, run errands etc. without a lot of inconvenience (i.e. sharing one ICE between two people after the BEV's battery was depleted).
You can't pump gas when the power is out. When we had a power outage there were an unbelievable number of ICE vehicles which ran out of gas. But probably most people wouldn't understand this.
That's not the case though. Stations down here were pumping gas after Charlie wrecked our infrastructure and there was no grid supplied power anywhere. The stations that were open had generators running the pumps.

Someone on gm-volt said it's now a requirement for some stations in Florida. I don't know anymore than that, but I can tell you that during Charlie we filled up, after waiting hours in line, at a station with a generator and there was no electricity anywhere near there.

Stations with backup generators probably aren't everywhere, but maybe they should be.

DANandNAN said:
SanDust said:
GRA said:
That's not the case though. Stations down here were pumping gas after Charlie wrecked our infrastructure and there was no grid supplied power anywhere. The stations that were open had generators running the pumps.

Someone on gm-volt said it's now a requirement for some stations in Florida. I don't know anymore than that, but I can tell you that during Charlie we filled up, after waiting hours in line, at a station with a generator and there was no electricity anywhere near there.

Stations with backup generators probably aren't everywhere, but maybe they should be.

And there was the time when pumping gas was done with a hand pump filling a large graduated cylinder that gravity filled the vehicles gas tank. Emergency generators are needed on cell towers, hospitals, farms, and now at gas stations. It's an added expense to the gas station that without the legal requirement, probably would not be openly pursued.

TomT said:
With a tank of gas, my ice would easily take me through a week whereas I need to charge the Leaf every night for the same journey...
Not being a survivalist I plan on a 12 hour not 12 day outtage. ;) Your ICE would only take you through a week if the tank was filled. I'm just reporting that there are many people who drive around more or less on empty. Forget driving for a week. They couldn't even get home in bad traffic.

Nekota said:
And there was the time when pumping gas was done with a hand pump filling a large graduated cylinder that gravity filled the vehicles gas tank.

At least you can see what you are paying for.. maybe those pumps will come back once gas reaches $8 a gallon..

When we look at low sales of *EVs it is interesting to see what other cars are also on that list.

us-june-2012-worst-selling-cars http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/07/us-june-2012-worst-selling-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
us-worst-selling-cars-may-2012 http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/06/us-worst-selling-cars-may-2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SanDust said:
Not being a survivalist I plan on a 12 hour not 12 day outtage. ;) . . . . . . . snip
Maybe you haven't heard, but back east, there were well over a million people that made that same gamble . . . that a power outage is 12 hours. Yep - you might want to re-think it. Nothing wrong with having a couple month's of food ... a dozen gallons of gas (with stabilizer) and a generator. Maybe a gun or 2 just in case someone wants your stuff, because they were too stupid to plan ahead.
;)

http://www.automobile-propre.com/2012/07/09/chiffres-vente-voitures-electriques-premier-semestre/#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In France:
23 Leaf in June 2012
239 Leaf from January to June 2012.

Well, it was considered a once in a hundred years storm so they should be OK for the rest of their lives...

hill said:
SanDust said:
Not being a survivalist I plan on a 12 hour not 12 day outtage. ;) . . . . . . . snip
Maybe you haven't heard, but back east, there were well over a million people that made that same gamble . . . that a power outage is 12 hours. Yep - you might want to re-think it. Nothing wrong with having a couple month's of food ... a dozen gallons of gas (with stabilizer) and a generator. Maybe a gun or 2 just in case someone wants your stuff, because they were too stupid to plan ahead.
;)

TomT said:
Well, it was considered a once in a hundred years storm so they should be OK for the rest of their lives...

we had 2 "hundred year" floods in a span of 3 years. that was 2 years ago. wonder how quickly the next hundred years will go by?

In the 13 years I've lived in the Philadelphia area, we've never had a prolonged power outage. About 1.5 hours is the max for home. One time we had about 4 hours at the office, but never have home and office been down at the same time. At our current office, we have a backup generator, so I'm guessing that in the extremely unlikely even that I had to, I'd rig up a way to charge from that generator. I L1 charge very occasionally at the office, but with the warmer weather, I've been charging to 80% overnight at home, and this is more than enough for my normal driving. Power outages have been, and will likely be a non-problem for my LEAF.

Public DC fast-charge, that is what is really needed here...

tps said:
In the 13 years I've lived in the Philadelphia area, we've never had a prolonged power outage. About 1.5 hours is the max for home. One time we had about 4 hours at the office, but never have home and office been down at the same time. At our current office, we have a backup generator, so I'm guessing that in the extremely unlikely even that I had to, I'd rig up a way to charge from that generator. I L1 charge very occasionally at the office, but with the warmer weather, I've been charging to 80% overnight at home, and this is more than enough for my normal driving. Power outages have been, and will likely be a non-problem for my LEAF.

Public DC fast-charge, that is what is really needed here...

kudos to your PUD!! but i think if we took a poll, you would find you are the exception rather than the rule.

we had a record snowstorm in Feb that put power out for people some as long as 3 weeks. now, we were only out for 48 hours and my in-laws only lost power for about 90 minutes.

but these power outage scenarios in my area average once every 2 years. its a trade off. do you want concrete and steel or 100' Firs?

well, i chose the latter and i accept the limitations of that decision. its actually kinda fun camping out in the living room...

Well then, statistically, you should be good to go for another 200 years or so! :lol:
Averages will always bite you in the butt at times!

DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:
we had 2 "hundred year" floods in a span of 3 years. that was 2 years ago. wonder how quickly the next hundred years will go by?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back