Just bought an old LEAF ... and am enjoying the challenge ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildw56au

Hi everyone.

I've impulsively bought a 2012 ZE0 with a meagre 21k on the clock and 9 bars of health.

Sadly, having acquired LeafSpyPro, I now find that three of the modules contain weak cells that are severely impacting on range of the vehicle.

Being a bit of a mechanic and also an electronics whiz, I've already been inside the battery pack to see if I could manually balance up the weak cells ... no joy.

So now I'm chasing some healthier modules to swap out the duds - got some promising leads.

However, the only graphic I've managed to find that shows the location and busbar wiring of the modules in the battery pack doesn't match what I found inside the pack.

Specifically, all of my weak cells are in the front module stacks, but the real busbar layout doesn't match the only graphic I've managed to find on this forum.

Can anyone share with me a diagram that will allow me to match LeafSpyPro cell IDs with real locations inside the 24kWh battery pack, please?

I'm really chuffed with the car ... even though it's 9 years old and has issues ... so much so that we've just bought a brand new MG HS PHEV as our family car.

Cheers

Phil W

Howdy Phil, welcome to the fun.

i don't know what diagram you are using, but have you seen this thread about the BMS aka Lithium Battery Controller (LBC) located in the pack.
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17470&hilit=LBC#p380079

There is a different schematic depending upon whether your LBC is using the 15100 or the 15200 analog front end chips for reading the cell voltages.

Nearly all the other EVs out there, and their BMS chips (and laptop packs, scooter packs, flashlight packs, power tool packs, etc) refer to cell #1 as the lowest voltage cell with respect to the Negative terminal of the pack, except for Nissan--they have to be different and use cell #1 as the most Positive cell connected up at the Positive terminal of the pack.

But whoever did the software programming for the CAN buss to report the data to the Vehicle Control Module, VCM...well who knows what scheme they used and how it is broadcast.

There are wiring diagrams for the cells to the LBC in the Factory Service Manual aka FSM, in the EVB section.

In addition ther are 4 different "Types" for the 2012 with different wiring; i found a typo on page EVB-34 for the Type 1 cars.
mW6rgQi.png

Fun. :) Weak cells are bad, but 9 bars, ha!

There's a guy LA who still drives around 3-bar Leaf. Yes, 9 capacity bars are gone. He sometimes posts videos or pics of the dash. Unfortunately, his posts are in a private Leaf group: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=589637#p589637.

nlspace said:
In addition ther are 4 different "Types" for the 2012 with different wiring; i found a typo on page EVB-34 for the Type 1 cars.
Just for the h*ll of it, I found this page in my manual...and it is correct (pin #17 = GND).
The weird thing is, my manual is dated April 2011, so that means they introduced an error in the 2012 manual? Mind boggling how many figures/diagrams that have to be checked in the service manual.

Like this? https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=30704#p575035

2012 may be different than later years (or maybe not....) but Dala would know all those details for sure.

The diagram that Dala shared doesn't match the reality of a 2012 pack ... the bridge between the two front stacks is in the top layer of the stacks ... this diagram suggests the bridge is down in the second layer ... shame ...

Dala's diagram was for a 2013; i'm disappointed that you didn't try to look it up in the FSM yourself,

EmQB1sf.png

nlspace said:
Dala's diagram was for a 2013; i'm disappointed that you didn't try to look it up in the FSM yourself,

Thanks so much for this ... please appreciate that I'm an absolute newbie to Leafs and to this space ... so excuse me if I ask what the FSM is ... I don't cope with acronyms ... never have ...

Thanks again ... this diagram matches what I found to be the cell/busbar layout in my battery pack ... feel much more reassured as I approach replacing the weak cells.

Cheers everyone

Phil W

Back