Leaf got laughed at last night

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, again rearward weight transfer was biting you in the butt! By backing up, you effectively made it a rear engine, rear wheel drive car, the best for traction! :lol:

ebill3 said:
TomT said:
However, as you said, in marginal traction situations like snow and ice, the front-heavy weight bias of FWD can be an advantage...
Yes, but not very good going uphill in snow or ice. I recall one rare winter storm where the only way to get up our long and rather steep driveway was to back up the Honda Accord. That really put the weight on the driving wheels.

LeftieBiker said:
You want perfect traction control? Drive a current generation Prius: the TC, which exists only to protect the thin axles from breaking, not to help the driver, will limit wheelspin to the point where the car *won't move* on ice.
Technically, the Prius TC is far from perfect.

The perfect TC will detect when one of the wheels has started slipping by about 10% and then hold the slip rate to no more than that limit. The amount of slip allowed may vary depending on actual grip levels, steering angle and yaw angle. Completely killing power for a fraction of a second is horrendous and in many situations worse than no TC at all.

TomT said:
...However, as you said, in marginal traction situations like snow and ice, the front-heavy weight bias of FWD can be an advantage...
It's not just weight on the driving wheels. RWD cars have a tendency to fishtail in snow because the front wheels resist pushing through the snow unless they are driven. FWD vastly outperforms RWD in snow; I drive both. That may not be something sunbelt folks care about when talking about performance but it is a big deal in the snowbelt. Assuming that one isn't using a 4WD or AWD car, that is. FWD with snow tires on all four wheels can make an excellent snow car.

Yes, there is a reason why the Indians put most of the weight of their arrows in the front... :lol:

dgpcolorado said:
TomT said:
...However, as you said, in marginal traction situations like snow and ice, the front-heavy weight bias of FWD can be an advantage...
It's not just weight on the driving wheels. RWD cars have a tendency to fishtail in snow because the front wheels resist pushing through the snow unless they are driven. FWD vastly outperforms RWD in snow; I drive both. That may not be something sunbelt folks care about when talking about performance but it is a big deal in the snowbelt. Assuming that one isn't using a 4WD or AWD car, that is. FWD with snow tires on all four wheels can make an excellent snow car.

To tangent back to the OP - I've never been laughed at. However I've laughed at my Leaf myself. Put it this way, I WAS going to get a vanity plate that stated, "1UGLY EV". I think it looks funny, and handles funny, and it's comfort (again, to me) is funny too. But I didn't buy it for looks or comfort or speed or handling. Nothing gets me down the road with (occasionally) 4 people in the car as cheep and efficiently. Call me when you got something that I can carry as many people for a higher amount of miles per kWh that costs less than the Leaf, and we'll definately talk.

The handling won't make you think you're driving an electric Porsche, and looks are personal taste, but I find the Leaf to be a very comfortable car. Much more so than my "range extender" Audi A3 with its relatively stiff suspension, and supportive but uncomfortable seats. The Leaf is also easier to get in and out of thanks to its higher (almost CUV-like) seating position, and of course it's a LOT roomier on the inside. The Leaf's AC is also better suited to the SoCal climate than the Audi's.

The Audi does have a better-sounding stereo, panoramic moonroof, and of course being an ICEV its heater will trump the Leaf's, not to mention the handling.

I think the Leaf is pretty quick. Yesterday I did an experiment. I was first in line at a traffic light. When the light turned green I punched it. When I crossed the intersection and hit the first pedestrian line on the other side I was going 42-43 MPH. The speed limit is 45 MPH.

No doubt some vehicles will go faster but that's seems plenty fast.

SanDust said:
I think the Leaf is pretty quick. Yesterday I did an experiment. I was first in line at a traffic light. When the light turned green I punched it. When I crossed the intersection and hit the first pedestrian line on the other side I was going 42-43 MPH. The speed limit is 45 MPH.

No doubt some vehicles will go faster but that's seems plenty fast.

I do this all the time. I was a cab driver back in the 70's and still drive like it. If I am first at a light I slam the pedal to the metal when the light turns, if only to not have all the other cars around me. Fuel economy? Pshaw... I get my electricity for free.

Let'em laugh.

SanDust said:
I had to read that twice. The first time what got through to my brain was ...

When I crossed the intersection and hit the first pedestrian lined up on the other side

:eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: ... oh! ... :lol: :lol:

Ray

planet4ever said:
SanDust said:
I had to read that twice. The first time what got through to my brain was ...

When I crossed the intersection and hit the first pedestrian lined up on the other side

:eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: ... oh! ... :lol: :lol:

Ray

Yes, the pedestrians really hurt the 0-40 time - or at least until they fall off.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, the pedestrians really hurt the 0-40 time - or at least until they fall off.
Funny but you need to read more carefully. You're already going 40! It's the 40-45 time that's compromised. ;)

What's funny if you're thinking about hitting pedestrians is that at this corner they put in an overpass. I'm assuming the idea was that it would be safer but AFAICT it's only used by teenagers for drugs and alcohol.

GeekEV said:
adric22 said:
When I told them it would go 95 mph, and that was only a computer limitation, they were shocked.
Except it isn't just a computer limitation. It's created by the maximum rpm of the motor, multiplied by the fixed gear ratio and tire diameter. It isn't physically possible to go more than 94... But now I'm just being pedantic. ;)

I've gone 95mph downhill actually. Car was surprisingly stable.

Back